AVG 8.0 Resident Shield

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vickie, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vickie

vickie Registered Member

:doubt: AVG Resident Shield detection shows 4 Trojan Horse infections. Are they isolated from harming my pc? Is it safe to go ahead and delete them from history?

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello

Before deleting anything, I'd upload those findings to www.virustotal.com and check with those "antivirals", if they a few others also detect infections.

I'd also send to AVG Labs, through the Quarantine, the infected files, so they can check whether or not they're real infections, or just false positives (tagging some legitimate files as being infectious).

Regards

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vickie, the AVG Resident Shield detection is just a list. Are these 4 infections also found inside the Virus Vault?

Go to History > Virus Vault to check. If yes, they are isolated and won't harm your computer. I would leave them there for a few days to make sure your PC is running OK before deleting anything.

4. vickie

vickie Registered Member

:doubt: Many thanks for your speedy reply. After checking Resident Shield history a couple days ago, and seeing 4 or 5 infected files, I immediately checked the Virus Vault and it was empty. I just assumed that the trojan horse infections would eventually delete and that my pc was still protected.
    On checking again just now, there's only 1 "infected" result showing in Resident Shield history and the Virus Vault is empty.

Infection: Trojan horse downloader .Zlob_r.DS C:\documents and settings\owner\local settins\temp internet files\content .IE5\EGG25D7F\setup [1].exe
    Result: Infected 11/1/2008
    Object Type: File
    Process: C:\Program Files\AOL9.0\waol.exe

I do not recall "removing" the other infections which showed a more recent date of 2/14 and 2/16/09, so I am at a loss as to where or how they were removed. Does AVG remove them after sometime?
    Now I'm really worried as to whether my pc is still infected. Any insight you can provide will be most appreciated.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vickie, no need to fret. As you can see by the screen capture below, by default, AVG deletes the Virus Vault after 30 days:

2009-03-24_213527.gif

However, to put your mind at ease, you should run another whole computer scan with AVG.

There are two other programs that I would recommend: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware free trial version and SUPERAntiSpyware Free edition. Reason being: your mention of 4 or 5 infected files, in a short period of time, could mean other malware and since no one program is perfect in battling them all, these two will find any other nasties and eradicate them. Keep us posted.

6. vickie

vickie Registered Member

JRV: :doubt: Thank you very much for your reply. As I mentioned, the AVG Virus Vault is empty, but the infection is still listed in Resident Shield history. So is there a reason why AVG didn't move it to the virus vault? I'm still a bit unsure of whether this trojan horse infection can still harm my pc since it wasn't quarantined (??) or moved to virus vault.
    I followed your suggestion and d/loaded SuperAntiSpyware, and ran a scan. It found 2 adware, and I quarantined them. Will SAS eventually remove these or should I go ahead and remove them manually?
    Thanks for any further suggestions.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vickie, I believe that AVG did move it to the Virus Vault, but auto deleted it after 30 days. You mentioned recent dates of 2/14 & 2/16, so on 3/14 & 3/16, whatever was in the Virus Vault was automatically gone!

What you see in the Resident Shield detection window is just a list; there is no infection, and I think (my window is blank so I can't be sure) you can empty that list, via a link above the Refresh List button, called Additional actions: Empty list. Try it and let us know.

SAS will not auto remove quarantined items, you must do it manually, however, I would wait a week or two and see how your PC responds before removing them, except if they are tracking cookies; you can remove those right away.

Did you do a full computer scan with AVG? Did you run MBAM? What were those results?

8. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Good Morning JRViejo!

Can I take it please that neither Malwarebyte's Anti Malware nor Super Antispyware conflicts either individually or together with AVG Internet Security.

Until recently, I did have SpywareBlaster installed, but stopped paying for the autoupdate renewal facility and removed this software as it never appeared to detect or remove any malware.

I have the very latest edition of AVG IS installed in WinXP SP3.

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Its not supposed to detect or remove malware

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Exactly. It's only there as a defense/preventive measure. Nothing else.

11. Green Giant

Thanks for the information about SywareBlaster - m00nblood and GES/POR.

My main reason for ditching this program was not its apparent inactivity: it was because that, in spite of having paid for auto updates, these never happened in the past six months. I was reliant upon Wilder's Update Forum to see when an updates was available and then installed this manually.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Good afternoon, Green Giant!

Because I have both free versions, on demand, not real-time, they do not conflict with my AVG Free 8.5.283 at all.

Perhaps someone who has either (or both) in real-time will be able to precisely answer your question.

13. Green Giant

Thanks for your reply JRViejo and for your helpful postings!

I downloaded a trial copy of Malwarebytes earlier today and running it located and eliminated three malware entries in the registry, so I then bought a licence.

It seems a very good addition to the protection of one's PC.

I will try SuperAntiSpyware tomorrow as well.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Green Giant, you are welcome! Yes, MBAM is a great addition to your arsenal and even if you ran SAS on demand only, both are an excellent combo as well. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.