AVG 8.0 free crashing after last update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb9, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Wonderful; another reason to switch to a decent vendor who still cares about customers... AVG 8.0 :thumbd: :mad:

2. gery

gery Registered Member

guys you are taking this a little too further about Avg. I know what you mean but that's just fine everyone has their own experiences but don't push it ro the edge. we all switch to whatever things and vendors

3. robinb

robinb Registered Member

not really, I am one of the biggest advocates for AVG 8.0. I have put the pro version on many computers and it works just fine. The problem is the free version. If a company is going to offer a free version then they should at least fix what is broken and not wait months to do it. Granted a company is looking to make money and I am sure they do not make a penny on the free but most companies who put out free programs will put them out in anticipation that eventually one would buy the pro given that the "free" doesn't do real time scans and users are tired of doing manual scans and other features they can get in the pro versions.

If the free version has so many problems would you consider buying the pro? I know I would not.

What seems to happen is when a company gets to large (like Norton as an example) they tend to forget that they once started small and needed input from the consumers to tell them when things went wrong and would fix them.
    Instead of ignoring them similar to what Grisoft is doing. They know there is a problem with the software and will not put a fix to it until October 2008. To me that is just plain stupid and bad sense on a company.
    Most people try out the free first before they purchase the pro and no one is going to buy something hoping it is not broke in the pro.
    That is taking a major chance and a waste of money.

I personally like AVG 8. It is easy to use for both the free and the pro, for the simple user as well as the advanced user.
    I applaud AVG for putting a lot more in the free version than any other antivirus program out there but it simply has to work!

As for one of my clients who has the crippled AVG 8.0 free- she did not want to spend the $35 to put the pro on for fear the pro would not work properly either and i could not convince her because I myself don't want to put the pro on and find a problem too, so I uninstalled it and put avira free program on. She uses msn for her email which is on the web and msn scans for viruses so she really doesn't need the email protection.
    She is also on a fixed income and really doesn't have the money to waste, and as they say "free" is better as long as it is from a legitimate company.
    So far Avira is working fine for her. I would hate to have to do this for my other clients who are seeing this problem with avg. Some of them an uninstall worked, some did not yet. I am giving Grisoft the benefit of the doubt, and waiting a month to see if they move and fix it, otherwise I will move these clients to avira free or pro. (the pro version is $20 a bit easier to swallow)

Again it seems to be only happening on xp home sp3 and not on all my 56 clients who have the free version on, so far anyway.

robin

robin

robin

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robinb, I'm curious, since you spoke with AVG representatives about update crashes, does this new AVG Paid Version (released July 25th) Fixes and Improvements cover your problem?

Program update AVG 8.0.156

Supposedly, a new FREE version is coming out next week AVG Free Forum.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Something I noticed about AVG is that they often make their users wait for the next release to get a fix (actually this is true for a lot of products). Not to go off topic but I remember that one particular AV company actually used to send me updated/fixed binaries via email whenever I reported a bug or problem - no waiting for the next release, sort of like a "controlled hotfix"....now THAT's really caring for your customers :)

6. gery

gery Registered Member

i agree about the prize but shouldnt there be any comperisons here? besides i think this is a little more no compromised thing because money is not a big deal for such a good product and everyone is free to choose what to use:thumb:

7. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

I have stuck with AVG 7.5 free on both my Windows systems (XP and Vista Home Premium) as v8 (even with safe search and toolbars disabled) is unstable and far too resource hogging. I will review my AV set up when support for AVG 7.5 ends 31 Dec 2008.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Ive stuck with proffesional, btw when i install the package it says expired package am i at risk? does the pro which expires in december 2008 still have program updates? or are all the program updates only for 8

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

maddawgz, my impression of that AVG Forum post, especially this: "Note that no more 'program' updates are due! Only virus updates will continue until the end date." indicates what the expected support will be for the AVG 7.5 Free version only, until its "planned" end on August 31st, 2008.

AVG's statement "AVG 7.5 Paid version will be supported until 31/12/08." coupled with this FAQ What is the license period of AVG software and supported by their Licensing model tells me that if (and it's a big IF since AVG has moved on to version 8.0) there were any program updates to version 7.5, you should be covered as long as your license is valid.

Regarding being at risk, if your Updates (AVG 7.5) are current, the program is up-to-date and protecting your PC, however, because you have free technical support via email, ask AVG these questions for peace of mind.

11. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Thanks Doesn't the AVG staff pop on here? i may email them to make sure modules are updated on the Pro. The free i guess ends today then, I have been testing the Antivir of late though and well it seems lighter than the Avg Pro interesting, like anything you get used to a product takes time to shift over :eek:

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

maddawgz, no, the Free ends at the end of August! I've read several AVG responses here, when their product is really bad, but lately, they have been furiously reworking their AVG 8.0, so maybe no time to post.

Yes, I'm afraid that people are testing Antivir and Avast as alternatives to AVG 8.0 and its issues. It's a shame because many don't remember that the switch from AVG 7.0 to AVG 7.5 was just as bad and we felt like Beta testers then, like we do now.

13. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

As i previously stated I have been working with a tech at AVG trying to fix the the crashing problem among other problems for the free version.

He has informed me the free version is going to get an upgraded version within the next two weeks and the version number of 138 will change to I believe 156.
    He has also told me there will be a lot of fixes in this version for both the pro and free version.

Hopefully this fix will fix some of the problems you are seeing.

In Oct there will be another upgrade version fix to both the free and pro on the crashing icon problem I am seeing.

In the meantime for 1 of my clients who does not want to wait for the fix, I put Avira free on their computer because it is the closest user phase to AVG. The only problem i have found with it is that it has a nag popup box when it does an update, other than that it basically clones AVG with everything AVG has except a link scanner.

For the rest I will wait for the Sept fix to see if it makes a difference. The program does run fine (scans emails, web and link scanner works and it actually does a scan when scheduled) but since you cannot open it- you have no idea if you have an virus in the vault which is not a good thing.

robin

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You can actually kill that nag screen with a registry entry if so inclined (it was posted someplace here, not sure where). Other than that just click the nag box closed.

15. CorbinDallas

CorbinDallas Registered Member

16. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

i saw that but thanks, it would be nice if they just removed that. they could still put it in but like AVG 8.0 has it now at the bottom of the program instead of popping up in your face.

robin

17. DanielD67

DanielD67 Registered Member

I have the trial version of AVG Anti-Virus 8.0.169 build 1359 released on 25 august 2008 (with Xp Pro SP3) and I had the same problem when trying to open the AVG User Interface: 3 from 4 attempts resulted in a crash dialog of AVGUI.EXE with the Send, Don't Send error report buttons.
    I applied a little trick found here http://www.accesswatch.info/reviewdisplay.php?pid=0000000210 to eliminate the presence of the notification area from user interface window and the problem seems to disappear.

Follow the below steps to disable the appearance of the irritating AVG 8 notification area:
    1. Open Notepad or another plain text editor.
    2. Copy and paste the following three lines from this page into the text editor:
    @echo off
    ren avgmwdef_us.mht avgmwdef_us.mht.bak
    ren avgresf.dll avgresf.dll.bak
    3. Save the text document containing the above three lines in the location where AVG 8 is installed. By default, this will be C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8. Save the file as something like "AVGNotifyOff.bat", without the quotes. It really doesn't matter how you name the file, so long as you can identify it, and it ends in the ".bat" extension, so Windows sees it as a batch file.
    4. Once the file's saved, close the text editor, navigate in Windows Explorer or My Computer to C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8, locate the batch file document you saved in step 3 above, and you should be able to run the file by pressing and releasing the Enter key. All the batch file does is rename two files with a ".bak" (backup) extension, so the files are still there, it's just that AVG can't see them any more, and you should find that the bottom line of the AVG user interface window no longer displays the "Hide notification, button" item.

Note: Trying to run the batch file more than once is useless unless an AVG program update has replaced the two files which have been renamed. This trick is subject to stop working if AVG releases a program update which uses a different method to display the irritating notification.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  18. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

just inform avg about this problem i think the version now is 8.0.169,

avg technical support respond very fast. that's a fact.

19. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Yep that is what it is now, Clients who are having this problem did the updates- no change- icon on desktop for AV8.0 is still crashing when trying to open it.

I told them We will wait till the end of October since this fix was not going to be in this update and see if it fixes it. If no I will uninstall them and move them to Avira like I did my other client who did not want to wait.

robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.