AVG 8.0, Faster?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nuke, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

I have installed AVG 8.0 on two machines, and it does seem to be light weight on system resources. AVG 8.0 claims to the faster then AVG 7.5, why does it take the VirusScan three times as long to complete?

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I believe it takes longer because antispyware definitions are incorporated into AVG 8. This one application replaces AVG AV and AVG AS (versions 7.5) which are no longer available for separate download.
    IIRC it also includes ARK, linkscanner, and (I think in the paid version) a firewall.

Surprised it takes three times as long, though. I would've thought maybe twice as long, or slightly under.

3. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

Fair enough. I will install on my Intel Quad Core with 3 GB of RAM, and report back. I think on my Mom's computer the scan took about twice as long. The other laptop (is not mine) the scan ran for about one hour 50 minutes.

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Nuke,
    Can you say how you installed 8.0 ? - Did you remove 7.5 first, or install the 8.0's over the top of 7.5 to keep the settings ?

I need to D/L and install on a neighbours XP and I am not sure which way to go - uninstall all the old and then install 8.0 or place 8.0 in the 7.5 folder and install over 7.5 ? I ask because some people appear to think 8.0 is no different speedwise to 7.5 while others notice 8.0 has the speed of a tortoise
    - I wonder if they all installed 8.0 via the same method ?

Don't know if it's any help re. your question but on Alt.Comp.Freeware this morning I note others mentioning the dreadful slowness and a reply advising
    seeing 'TOOLS' on the AVG 8.0 menu bar, then 'Advanced Settings' and changing the ' Scan Process Priority' - but says higher priority uses more resources.

5. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

I did a complete uninstall of AVG 7.5 antivirus and anti-spyware before I installed AVG 8.0. Also, I did not install the Yahoo toolbar. I don't know if doing a Custom install of AVG 8.0 is better than doing a Typical install.

Addendum:

I removed AVG 7.5 antivirus from Add or Remove Programs. I did not checkout Program Files. After that I went and did a Typical install of AVG 8.0.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  6. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

I ran AVG 7.5 antivirus and AVG 7.5 anti-spyware at the same time. Total time was 29 minutes 21 seconds.

Intel Quad Core
    3 GB of RAM
    Vista Home Premium

Attached Files:

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I think we should be focused on internet surfing speeds. Page displays and so on. When it comes to scans set them for your sleep time. Then you will not need to fret over such things. ;)

8. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

Good Grief, I got bigger things to fret about.

Peace.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG 8.0 has improved detection, improved cleaning, improved unpacking and support for many more file types. It is not really comparable to AVG 7.5 + AVG AS 7.5, as those two products had different codebases and an inferior scan engine in terms of thoroughness. :)

10. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

Thank You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.