AVG 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jack76, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Thanks clocks!

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Well it seems the support at the forums isn't that great. Couple of people have installation errors , like me, and nobody has bothered to look into it.

3. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Yes there is, the tray icon will have an orange triangle, and if you place your cursor over the tray icon it will say scan in progress.

4. carat

carat Guest

I wouldn't take reviews from CNet users seriously. Most of them install a couple of programs and then they are wondering about freezes and blue screens.

AVG is running smoothly here, without any hijacks or freezes! :thumb: :)

5. tipo

tipo Registered Member

same here! ;)

6. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Ok, I'll try to manual update then. Thank you guys!

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just choose the custom install so you can avoid the usual toolbar, search engine, home page changing business.

8. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up man! Do you know if it keeps custom settings from previous version?

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

No clue, sorry, but post back about it when you find out.

10. aztony

aztony Registered Member

When I upgraded it kept pretty much all the program settings, but I did have reconfigure email scanning, and re-input my custom sounds. I had asked tech support about adding Import/Export settings to the free version. Their response seemed to imply it was unnecessary, although it is a feature in the paid.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

been testing more the last couple days and again i have to be impressed. it did however let 2 things slip though i had thought or wished it would have stopped but those were fake av's one was nasty and took over the whole system, avg 2013 tried hard it seemed to clean it up and then on reboot avg was gone. still installed but no longer starting up this was due to it being included in the list of exe's not allowed to run in windows registry. eset and avast however did block this one even though they were also included in that list while norton, and mcafee were also mia after a restart. i did submit it to everyone who missed it or were shutdown by it so there should be detection soon. i know fake av's will always be a issue and slip through at times other than maybe malwarebytes i find all av's miss these at times.

it is impressive so far, the only thing i have issue with is with the settings cranked up to be this impressive it does show some slowdown on the system i did not see at default settings not a huge amount but its enough to notice the difference. i also do not find the web scanner to be all that great i find a lot of things have to hit the drive first before being detected which i guess is okay as long as they are detected and removed before being allowed to run. but i find a few others simply do a better job here a few threats were stopped before even allowing the page to load by my normal av avg waited to block them till they were fully downloaded.

12. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

The boot time is increased with about 7-8 seconds for me,and AVG always has a yellow triangle after each restart for about 10 seconds before the icon turns normal.It's light and fast all in all,but not enough to make me change to it.

13. zfactor

one thing i am noticing is i have the scan for tracking cookies enabled and it doesnt seem to detect any of them at least they dont show up on a full scan and i dont see them getting removed in real time. any idea how that works with avg?

14. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

Is "update server" changeable in the new version?( I mean<can u change the update server manually?)
    (it was not in the free versions before)

15. phyniks

No one answered......had to try myself......yes,you can add URLS to update servers in the new version.....thanks everybody for cooperations:doubt:

16. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Hey, does anyone know if there are any AVG representatives on Wilders? o_O

17. gery

gery Registered Member

i don't think so

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

They do read threads like this though.....

19. phyniks

Update
    the EDIT & ADD keys are active in the update server,but any changes will go back to Default o_O
    ( so.....unchangeable update URLs)

20. carat

carat Guest

21. zfactor

anyone know if any of the amazon uk lic's are download versions? for someone outside the uk. they have 4pc 2year lics for way less than anyone i can find. id love to grab a few but i dont live in the uk... v3 has them but they are almost twice the price (not that v3 is always expensive they have some awesome deals at times)

22. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I gave this thread a quick read, and I believe no one mentioned anything about AVG Do Not Track. Version 2012 allowed you to install AVG Do Not Track without having to install the stupid toolbar. You were able to go to AVG installation folder, and get the extension file as well. Version 2013 forces the user to install the toolbar, if he/she wants to have AVG Do Not Track.

Has anyone experienced the same? o_O

That's a very stupid move, and very low, IMO. I wonder if this has to do with the fact they now have their own search engine (powered by Google), and with it a tracking service....
    I hope they have a change of heart, and make it possible to install AVG Do Not Track without the toolbar.

Not to mention the Metro UI (not the dark theme) sucks 100% in a Windows 7 Desktop. It just seems off. :( They could still provide a similar 2012 UI theme as well?

23. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

Not really? Amazon UK is £23.97, V3 Store is £28.99. Bear in mind a 4-PC, 2-Year licence is normally £94 from AVG.com :)

24. zfactor

i only see the price of 39.99 on the v3 site for the 4pc 2 year?

25. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

In US Dollars, sure? But the Amazon UK price is about $38 (US Dollars). The retail for 4pc/2-year is $130.99.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.