AVG 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Hi John,

I wish I had a right answer for the update problem you are having. Maybe unticking "Run on Computer startup if task has been missed", under advanced schedule options, could possibly help. Let the computer boot up, and then about 15 minutes or so later do a manual update.

That's about all I can come up with at the moment.

2. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    last full scan-19 minutes 6 seconds

3. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Thanks Snip,
    I have unchecked the "Run on Computer startup if task has been missed", it looks promising.

When I uncheck the auto update, I get the AVG curse put upon me as shown here :-
    AVG 2011 update.JPG
    I find this offensive. We should be able to decide whether to Manual update or Auto update and not have some warning image come up that we are not protected. Who do they think they are ? Of course I am protected - at the last update level !

In many cases I prefer to Manual update rather than have some robot updating my system at highly inconvenient times. The option should not be locked into AVG`s autocratic doctrine, it should be user-selective.

Almost all my programs are on manual update including Firefox and Sandboxie. ZA is on auto but causes no trouble and Windows XP is on auto - this does put an icon on my tray, but does not give any unnecessary warning messages. I can simply ignore it if I wish, then manually update later.

John

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Are there any current detection tests of this 2012 version?

5. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Only from PC Mag, but it did exceptionally well on it, including on rogue programs, even getting a 100% like Malwarebytes. I also read somewhere they have some new patent-pending tech for dealing with rogues, so I'm curious what it is.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

me tooo_O

7. acr1965

ok thanks- I'm trying it now...seems to be running heavier on my system than my last av although I have not yet rebooted. I'll see if it calms down some after reboot and running a couple days

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

so is AVG now a strong player like the others?

9. carat

carat Guest

It's not relevant what you prefer - it's important to keep your AV up-to-date! However - you should upgrade to AVG 2012 and you won't find the update manager in the GUI any more ;)

10. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

@tpro asking this question as it seems you are using avg for a while.. howz the resource usage? can you share some screen-shots plz?

11. John Bull

I respect your comments and understand YOUR thinking which many others adopt, but MY thinking is what I go by and the post you highlight describes it explicitly. Excuse me, but who are you to say my preferences are not relevant ? How impertinent. MY preferences are paramount and are totally irrevocable and VERY relevant.

You have missed the point of course. I would manually update AVG 2011 every day at MY convenience, which eliminates AVG butting into my activities and draining the system when THEY please.

Also, I am aware that the Update Manager is missing on 2012 - see my screen shot in post 66. I suppose you realise that this missing icon is just a missing icon, it means nothing. The Update Manager is hidden and still performs his regular inconvenient updates from his hidey-hole.

Oh, I forgot - upgrade to 2012 ? I thought I had explained my views on this crystal clear. Maybe I will soon, but not yet. Again, I am the Captain of my ship not any software supplier.

Just a point and no offense meant. I respect your comments and experience and welcome your contributions, but keep your personal remarks to yourself. That way, we do not Tango and for your information I am an extremely good Tango artist.

John

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  12. carat

carat Guest

There must be something wrong with your setup ... :doubt:

It feels light on my computer - here are some screenshots :)

Attached Files:

• avg1.png
      avg1.png
      File size:
      120.3 KB
      Views:
    • avg2.png
      avg2.png
      File size:
      108.4 KB
      Views:
    • avg3.png
      avg3.png
      File size:
      98.7 KB
      Views:
  13. acr1965

I tried AVG 2012 paid version for a couple days. My system seemed to churn away laboring page to page on the web. There wasn't really any noticeable slow down but I noticed the overall system resource usage was higher than may last av.

14. John Bull

If you say so Maestro, but it sure sails great for me. Not a wobble in sight providing it is me that steers it and not some dubious third party.

Anyway, your valuable but rather negative comment is worthless, I have already been helped by more constructive posters, some on this very thread and am sailing full steam ahead on a calm sea.

It does not look as if you have taken part in the marathon Firefox update fiasco. Read the thread, then come back and sing the same song about AVG and other software ventures.

John

15. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Trying it on another computer in the house.

The installation took much longer than Avast! and didn't seem to have as many options.

For resource usage I hate how it has 9 processes. Granted none go above 10MB, it's still quite a bit more than Avast!

The GUI looks nice and seems simple on the surface, but when you open Tools, trying to change advanced settings is annoying. (See screenshot from a few posts up.)

First full scan of 42GB took 16 min. It's on a cheap Acer with an Athlon dual-core and 4GB of RAM. No false-positives. I probably would have uninstalled it if it did.

Tried to get rid of the PC Analyzer and Family Safety add icons but couldn't find out how.

Not too impressed with the Safe-Search. I disabled the toolbar but kept the safe search. I did a search for Avast! and the first link was Cyber Defender's link, the second was antivirus.freeze.com. I'm not positive but isn't freeze.com an adware site or something? Of couse I may be being a bit harsh since I configured our router to use Norton DNS and it didn't block the sites.

Overall I'm not too impressed, but time will tell since my 10-year-old brother is the only user of the computer. He plays browser-based games sometimes so we'll see how well it protects the computer, although I'm installing Immunet Protect to run alongside it for extra protection.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  16. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Just had the chance to install it on a client's computer. It does run like 4 proc's only. And feels light. The main GUI is slick and lean with few buttons (6). One thing I noticed is that it restricts the updates to only one per day, unless you check for updates manually. I really like it so far.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I like the way how avast! consolidated all the processes into just 2. It's hard to review task manager if you have 15 processes just from one program.

18. clocks

clocks Registered Member

True, but a vast majority of users to not pay attention to processes. AVG free is only using 5 process for me(not 15), and is using less memory and disk i/o than Avast.

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Same as ESET, and the WSA BETA I am using right now.
    And I agree regarding the amount of processes. The fewer the better :thumb:

20. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Same as Norton and some more.

But I agree for sure, if a product only has two processes (gui and service) it makes the product "feel" lighter. Although less processes is ofcourse not the same as a lighter product. I dislike that AVG has a lot of processes (it is a shame since version 2012 is a solid product in my eyes), but also F-Secure has a lot of processes which makes it a no go for me. Also I agree with clocks that most users don't pay attention to it.

21. malexous

malexous Registered Member

The only settings changed were:

Automatically heal/remove infections - turned off.
    Report enhanced set of Potentially Unwanted Programs - turned on.

First whole computer scan: 18 minutes 33 seconds.
    Second whole computer scan: 2 minutes 34 seconds.

22. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

But it has far fewer processes compared to the 2011 edition?

We're busy on our AVG IS 2012 review, which should be live tomorrow. Mike has spent two days running comparison tests against the 2011 edition. Should make interesting reading.

23. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Two processes less on my setup. Specifically, the cache process is gone and Idenity Protection has changed from two processes to one.

24. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Any update on the review?

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Another thing I will say about this program, is it doesn't seem to update very often. Maybe 2x per day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.