AVG 2011 Free - PcMag review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by InfinityAz, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

PcMag posted their review of AVG 2011 Free yesterday.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Read it. Says they need to improve Malware blocking as they trail competitors in that area.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I had the paid version for awhile and in most of the rootkit tests or trojan testing Ive seen it failed at detection almost every time. I think Ill pass.

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I don't buy anything the mag says - one of the worst tracking sites i've seen!

Attached Files:

5. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

LOL... every mag's (paper/online) income relies mostly on advertising... so i'm not surprised... tracking is the basis of marketing...

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Useless review. From what i can see, they just did an on-demand test. IDP wasn't even tested and then they complain over "undetected" malware. IDP doesn't work on-demand you silly noobs at PcMag... because most users usually execute things...

7. progress

progress Guest

I think RejZoR from MRG should do some independent tests :thumb:

8. m0unds

m0unds Guest

on-demand detection?

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

They did execute what was not automatically detected when opening the folder containing the samples: "I launched all of the remaining samples and noted AVG's behavior."

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Had to remove the signature. This was getting annoying lately. All of the sudden everyone thought i'm in any way affiliated with MRG. I'm not and never was and never will be. Malware Research group doesn't test stuff and doesn't appear in public at all. Opposed to Malware Research Group.
    But i'm not much active lately so it's no use of having the signature anymore...

11. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think posting about Pcmag's review are an exercise in futility...........simply b'coz there is hardly any objective discussion done on them.

Apart from review on Comodo,every other review is torn apart on some unfounded logic and its happening for some years now...

I think mods must prevent such threads.

12. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

TheBuckbull channel: "AVG Antivirus Free 2011 Review and Test"
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKifEJDS7uo-

I consider the youtube tests nothing more than industrial waste, but this guy seems to be considerably more methodical and patient than the trademark dysfunctional and frenzied copy/paste sessions. Buckbull gets disoriented over the sequence of alerts and his knowledge of features touches only the surface. He mentions it needs "something against zero day threats" when it just blocked and killed a slew of them. He doesn't know the now included ID Protection behavior blocker is just that as well as their new cloud detection component which not only hooks to the Resident Shield but LinkScanner as well. Typical youtube attention deficit content but otherwise an interesting test.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  13. atomomega

Just for quick reference, an excerpt from the author's bio @ PCMag.com
    I'm not trying to make a point here. It's just a fact to keep in mind...

14. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

That doesn't prove he takes dollars home from co's to write reviews...i would look into tests taken by reviewer to come to his conclusion and not his affiliations.

Rubenking might be a respected person in that regard.

Anyhow,its my personal view that you cannot blame a reviewer simply b'coz he works for a magazine and does his job well.

All test-labs don't show us how they do it and what samples they take,ofcourse there is a detailed report,but again many can doubt it.

15. atomomega

LOL... :ouch:

16. atomomega

Again, I am NOT trying to make a point...

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I had the paid version of linkscanner before AVG bought them out. If i remember correctly it had a few incompatibility problems with AV's. The review said it missed a lot of phishing sites. They should really look at keeping their database up to date. Linkscanner scans sites for active exploits. Phishing uses social engineering, and the site itself may not have exploits on it. They use trickery rather than infecting your machine.

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

:argh: :argh: :argh: Well that is what they understand

But to recap, AVG is following AVAST in provided functionality scope, difference with AVAST is that AVAST develops most of them themselves while AVG purchases a lot.

AVG free
    - Spyware (old Ewido Paid, still has a left over USP of checking programs accessing the registry)
    - Web protection Linkscanner (old Exploit Prevention Labs paid)
    - Behavioral blocking IDS (old Primary Safe Response Connect paid)

Pretty good deal when you ask me (cache works really good to like with Avast)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.