AVERT v2.2 RELEASED!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by weirddemon, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weirddemon

weirddemon Registered Member

Hey guys,

I'm super excited inform you that v2.2 of AVERT is complete! I've worked like crazy these past fews months to revamp AVERT and make it better than ever. I've done an even crazier amount of work in the past couple of weeks, finalizing the project, working with my website guy to get it done, finding ways to promote the software, etc.

AVERT is now shareware. You can download the free version to try it out and then upgrade to get the full features.

You can download it from the download page on the site, but don't forget to check out the change log.

Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or (heaven forbid) problems ;) You can respond here, PM me, or email me at avertsoftware at gmail dot com.

Thanks again guys!

2. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

What are the main features added in the paid version.I could not find any comparison between the paid and free versions. Looks like a good on demand scanner.Thank you.

3. weirddemon

Ah. Right. The news page explains that, but I'll add something to the download page.

4. guest

guest Guest

Youtube link doesnt work. it opens facebook page.

5. weirddemon

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it

:D

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Will give it a try!:thumb:

7. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Ok, liked the GUI, much more simple and intuitive than the first Avert. Also liked the idea of adding some tools in order to fix some problems caused by malware.

But every time i try to start a scan i get this error:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4378/avert.png

Running Windows 7 x64 ultimate.

8. weirddemon

Thanks for trying it out. I haven't run across an issue like before, but... I also can't read... Spanish?

Could you email me with specifics? Such as, the configuration you used, which tasks you chose, which scanners you've downloaded and used, etc. Can you also send me the error in a text file? I'll put it through a translator to try and figure out the problem.

avertsoftware at gmail dot com.

Thanks

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Portuguese :)
    Maybe i've done something wrong:ninja: since i just extracted the file, double-clicked in "Avert" file, selected the scan type, and pressed start scan. I thought it will download the scanners and signatures after doing that.
    In this moment i´m downloading Avert scanners first (quick scan), and then i will try again:thumb:

10. weirddemon

Ah. Gotcha. I guess I never compensated for people wanting to run scans without scanners

;)

Thanks again

11. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Someone who doesn't know Avert will probably do the same, since nothing in the main screen shows the need of download anything else! The user will have to guess to click in the little miniature in the down left corner in order to download the scanners.

I would suggest a warning window, telling the user to navigate to "settings" in order to download the scanning engines, if he clicks on "start" without any scanner already downloaded. That way the error will be avoided:thumb:

12. weirddemon

Yeah. I always try to anticipate every action a user will take, even if it's not the right one. But I slip up sometimes :p

However, there is a link for the YouTube videos directly below the download link, showing you how to use it.

Also, I'be already fixed it to where this won't happen. I'll upload it in a little while.

Thanks

13. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

stupid question but if I uncheck the box next to "Remove Infections" will all of the scanners just scan and log what they find and not try to remove or fix files? Sometimes I would just like to scan for a second opinion and not remove files actually.

Also still hoping for Rkill maybe in a future release. ha. Great software here :)

14. weirddemon

That's exactly what will happen. Most of the scanners have a "/remove" or "/clean" argument. If you unchecked that box, then that argument won't be processed. However, there are two scanners the can only remove or clean files. So if that scanner is chosen and that box not checked, AVERT will skip it and display a message at the end.

Also, please be aware that in order to view the logs, you have to upgrade to the full version. You can check out the download page on my site and it will tell you which features are supported in each version.

As for rkill, it turns out that unless the developer changes it significantly, I can't use it in AVERT. However, I'm currently researching what it will take to either make a tool similar to rkill or incorporate custom code as a command line switch so it can kill the processes before it launches.

Thanks for the support

15. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

"However, there are two scanners the can only remove or clean files. So if that scanner is chosen and that box not checked, AVERT will skip it and display a message at the end."

Which 2 scanners are these? I will definitely be purchasing your software if for no other reason but to support your project. Also that would be great if you could incorporate something like Rkill.

16. weirddemon

If I remember correctly, MSSE and VIPRE.

17. Vilmalith

Vilmalith Registered Member

It's not downloading any of the scanners for me. I see the dos window pop for each scanner I select, I see wget trying to connect to an IP. Then the message connection refused shows up for wget after a couple seconds and the window closes without ever downloading anything.

18. weirddemon

Hm... I'm sorry that you're having trouble, Vilmalith. That's definitely a strange issue.

Just so I can pinpoint the issue a little bit, can you provide me with some more information?

Which operating system are you using?
    Which version of AVERT are you using? V2.2 or V2.2.1?
    Which scanners did you try to download?
    Can you check in the following directory, where %STARTUP% is the directory in which AVERT is located: "%STARTUP%/Scanners" and tell me if you see subdirectories for every scanner. Do you see folders like "Asquared", "ClamWin", etc?

Thanks

19. Vilmalith

I've tried on Win7 Pro 64bit, 32bit, Vista Business 32bit and WinXP pro.
    It is Avert 2.2
    I've tried downloading all the scanners, one by one and just selecting all of them at once.
    In the scanners folder I see seperate folders for each scanner. In the folder is a zip file, but the zip file in all the folders has a 0kb file size.

20. weirddemon

Hm... that's strange. Can you try deleting that package entirely and re-downloading a new one?

I just tried downloading on my work PC, a PC I've never used it on before, and had no issues.

Thanks

21. Vilmalith

I re-downloaded avert 2.2.1. Still can't download the scanners, wget responds with a connection refused message. I have tried now on multiple pcs all using different ISPs (t3 through at&at, oc3 through verizon, charter cable, at&t uverse). So I am definitely coming in from different IPs. Some pcs with firewall off (one with absolutely zero security) connected directly to the modem and out to the wonderful world of the internet (just in case I was missing something in the security setup).

It could very well be me, as I am the common denominator in all this......

22. Vilmalith

HA, my whole day has been this way it seems. I finish typing my update to you. Decide to try again, and guess what, it's frickin working now, lol.

23. weirddemon

Ah. Well, that sure is odd. I honestly can't say why it wasn't working, but am thrilled to know that it's working now :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.