Avastui.exe outbound connections

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Get, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get

Get Registered Member

When I open Avast(free) (after I had just put back an image) I get multiple outboundconnectionwarnings from my firewall. Avastui.exe wants an outbound connection with sites which have nothing to do with Avast. It never did that. Apart from the allowed connections I made a rule to block everything else. Why does Avastui.exe wants to connect? Is it normal?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what is the reported location of that file? did you check computer for malware?

3. guest

guest Guest

Upload Avastui.exe to virustotal to check it.
    Maybe all this outboundconnections could be because of the publicity included in the free version.

I have had a similar behavior with skype due to the publicity included.

You can also make whois to the ip's

4. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

I believe Avastui.exe is now the ashWebSv.exe of Avast5. I asked about it but vlk has yet to confirm. If I'm correct it's alright for Avastui.exe to connect to any site. I noticed after a while Avastui.exe mem usage increases and I think its handling of web traffic causes this. ashWebSv.exe mem usage depends on the number of active connections it handles. It might also be Avastui.exe loading the Promo Ad or getting the latest iNews.

5. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I'm in a snapshot trying out another AV at the moment so I can't check my Firewall log. I've been using Avast free for some time now and if I remember correct, the GUI needs access for the advertisement it has on one of the tabs in the options panel.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The ad inside avast free does want to have some networking love, but other than that it's the casual stuff going through the avast! HTTP scanning proxy and you see it in firewall like it was avast! that initiated the connection. Nothing to worry about really...

7. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

So ashWebSv.exe was indeed replaced by Avastui.exe. No mem leak in Avastui.exe then. Thanks for confirming this RejZoR.

8. Get

Get Registered Member

It's indeed for the ad, but the name of one of the sites made me suspicious : mx1.PRODUCTSUWANT22.com.... . Didn't sound like a site I'd like to connect to and it never happened before. I just block the exe besides for what is needed. Thx for the answers.

9. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

10. Get

Get Registered Member

I didn't mention it, but I first went to virustotal en then scanned my pc with mbam (only drive c) and a2emergencykit (all drives) and it was clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.