avast4 vailable !

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by minacross, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Don't worry, v3 is something different and we're not planning to discontinue it anytime soon...

2. minacross

minacross Registered Member

BTW, I had to uninstall avast4 after one day usage as it was so heavy regarding memoy usage on my 300MHz celeron 98MB ram.
    It was worse than NAV2001 that I was using before !!

3. controler

controler Guest

Re:avast4 valuable !

I do not hold programmers responsible for making software compatible with an old Intel 486 machine or Windows 95.
    Here comes da bad carma cookies..
    Users? don't mess with the Virtual Memory setting. Let Windows do it for you. Get rid of that old computer and get yourself a newer one.
    Programs today are being built to utilize the faster CPU's and hugh amounts of memory installed on out of the box computers today.
    To buy memory today in the USA is dirt cheap.
    Anyone can install it.
    just ask and we will explain it for you.

Thank You

4. Douglas

Douglas Guest

What are the reasons, controller?
    There was a time when I was a gamer, and didn't have the money for a newer computer (or even 50 bucks for ram). I did mess with VM and never had a problem.
    Now I wonder if I was just lucky.

Douglas

5. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Controler.....

......no offence but even brand new computer must be tweaked.......for the best performance......or do you disagree ? A bad karma cookie ? naaah, not so easily from me .....Sure you are right, absolutely right that components are not expensives anymore.....there is one but..... all of us are not ready to customize hardwares, just learning softwares and how to tweak them and that I would call an art. ;)

friendliest *Ari*

6. Ledendo

Ledendo Registered Member

I think it would be a great idea to make this stand-alone updater available on your site. E.g.: I would like to recommend avast to a few of my relatives, because I enjoyed working with it and didn't experience any problems with v4 and think the new UI is really easy to use, even for unexperienced users (which is what is needed in this case).
    My relatives' computers are not connected to the internet but still get in touch with lots of CDs with texts from friends, work etc.
    In short: I think there are many configurations, where it might be useful to make an update set on one computer for use on another.

So my final question: Is there any link to download this utility? :)

7. controler

controler Guest

What everyone is really trying to say here in a nutshell is that
    nobody wants a program that has to be updated automatically.
    The hard cores from Wilder's are firm believers that all programs with auto-update features should have a way to shut auto-update down and update manually.
    I think that about sums it up don't you?

I admit Krusty.. I always am tweaking my computers.
    I am an obsessive compulsive computer tweaker :D
    I am not so sure normal home users should be doing this however without strict guidance.

8. minacross

now which to use? ver 3 has an enhanced interface with manual update . And in my openion ver 3 has a better repairing technique according to a test I made using EICAR test file, ver 3 just deleted the string and the file was running just fine while ver 4 reported that the file can not be repaired !! o_O o_O

9. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

I for one, don't like "auto update" enabled on any of my software !!

regards,
    bill ;)

10. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Allright, but that's not the bone of contention here, is it?
    It's not about auto vs manual, it's about if you should be given the ability to do the update just by replacing apropriate file(s) in the program folder. avast v3 lets you update the virus DB by just replacing the file called avast32.vps (which is exposed on our web site), whereas v4 does not give you the ability to do anything like that and you need to use our incremental updating mechanism.

We think it's not a problem. Or is there anyone who disagrees?

11. controler

controler Guest

Ondrej Vlcek

Actualy I think part of the issue IS being forced to autoupdate.
    Minnicross seems to have another issue of Avast 4 not cleaning the same I am guessing.
    You may not find the general public cares if software has a manual update feature or not but you will find most of the members here prefer a manual update feature to ANY software.
    Does this help ?

12. minacross

exactly. And and can not figure out why you just do not want to offer manual update for ver 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.