Avast & Spyware Terminator - Job Wants To Use - I Think There Are Better

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by DasFox, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

A company I'm working for as a tech wants to install for customers if they don't have any protection, Avast and Spyware Terminator.

Now personally with my own experience Spyware Terminator has let me down and SuperAntiSpyware picked up the pieces and blew it away, so I don't think highly of Spyware Terminator. But then recently I had Malwarebytes' out perform SuperAntiSpyware, but not by much. So for me if I'm going to give anyone spyware/maware programs it's going to be SAS and MBs' over Spyware Terminator.

Also as far as AVs go I personally think Avira's free av a better app then Avast, which is also proven many times to have better detection ratings on AV-Comparative...

So what you think guys, should I tell the manager what I'm saying here?

Tell'em you need to use Avira and SAS and MBs instead?

Or just keep my big mouth shut and let the company do what they want?

THANKS

2. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

well the thing is, Avira has the nag popup which is why a lot of techs don't install it.

SAS and MB don't have active defense on the free versions either, a lot of home users aren't going to go through the trouble of running scans.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

If you want free version, you can use avast! Home and Spyware Terminator (ST), plus common sense ;), and use SUPERAntiSpyware with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for on-demand...

ST has a nice real-time protection to alert user about some important changes on its system, but its signature detection isn't so good...

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I personally do not think ST would be a good solution at all. I found its detection less than acceptable. If you must though, make sure the "HIPS-like" function is shut OFF upon installation, lest you want customers calling you about 1000 popups every time they install/change a program. Avira seems to have better detection, but I'm not sure about cleanup, which is just as important. I've had less trouble with Avast in my own case. If the worry is over not catching spyware, tell customers that Firefox and a mere 2 extensions (AdBlock Plus and NoScript) solves 99.9% of that issue, not to mention driveby downloads and everything else.

5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

First, I hope your company installs security applications only after getting approval from the customer.
    If unauthorized installs were performed on my computer, I would be totally pissed !

-That said;

If not properly configured or if it's settings are inadvertently changed, Spyware Terminator will drive the user nuts with pop-ups; not a great way to satisfy a customer !
    Additionally, Spyware Terminator still has a comparatively low detection rate and slow scans.
    I believe the far better option would be (following customer approval) to install Spyware Blaster and (also) Malwarebytes or Superantispyware; the latter's free version allows for scheduled scanning if I remember correctly.

For Antivirus, either Avira or Avast will provide excellent protection. Having used both, I don't believe a meaningful difference exists.
    Why not give your customer the choice as well as their choice of firewall ?

Actually, this looks to be a great opportunity to sell a Security Suite.
    Most people are not activists regarding security and much prefer a "one stop solution" that will do as much of the work as possible without user intervention. For that convenience, there is a price.
    Why not consider offering individual freeware applications or a security suite for your cost plus- say- $20.00 for installation and set-up ?

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Seems a reasonable idea on the face of it, but I would imagine it could violate the EULA's of the freeware programs.
    The contract would have to be very clear that the cost was based on the technicians' hourly rate for the set up, and nothing more.
    And if there is a subsequent glitch with the functioning (or improper user response) with one of these programs, that could open a can of worms.

Personally I think SpywareTerminator is not the program to be installing on users' computers without their express approval, maybe even a tutorial. If the HIPS component were activated, the popups would just confuse most folk.

Pick a few fairly tame, yet effective applications, give the customers a choice.
    These could include Avast Home, Avira, SpywareBlaster, maybe a hosts file, maybe a check-for-updates program like Secunia PSI.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I think thats a tuff call you may want to present sum suggestions and see if the manager is open to them first,If not lips sealed let him burn his own bridges so to speak.Maybe the new manager in the makes is Dasfox:D

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I think either avast or avg are good overall choices for the average user. They both cover spyware and both have email scanners. Although avira is excellent as well it doesn't cover spyware or have an email scanner. Maybe you could use comodo boclean instead of spyware terminator?

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I concur with the confidence in Avira and although i haven't used AVG in a long time, i did find when i did that AVG's "Guard" was much more aggressive then either SAS or MBAM's supposedly resident guard protections if theres any comparison someone can draw from this. When i trid to start a potential dangerous .exe AVG's guard simply ignored it as in disallowed it to even start.

Dunno if AVG still uses that great guard or not but i was always impressed by it. I seen neither mentioned AS's "guards" as STRONG as AVG's resident guard when i used to run AVG.

Maybe someone can refute or confirm that AVG's "Guard" is still an integral element in it's latest release.

EASTER

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

EASTER, the Resident Shield and the Email Scanner in the new AVG 8.0 are as good as ever. There are times when I'm running a Windows Defender scan, and the Resident Shield nabs a potential problem before WD even acts on it. Incorporating Ewido's AS into the program didn't hurt either.

I was receiving many "UPS Notices" emails last month (from a business account that downloads direct from a server), and the Email Scanner picked the nasty attachments, placing them in its Virus Vault, effortlessly.

IMO, the issue with AVG are their LinkScanner, WebSearch and Toolbar features, not to mention the default configuration of a full scan upon boot and checking for updates prior to a scan, when PCs are not connected to the Internet (who is the numb nuts that came up with that concept?). I never installed the features nor do I allow AVG to do anything automatically. Based on the tweaking that must be done after installation, AVG might not be a viable option for DasFox. But, for us geeks, is a tweaker's paradise!

11. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

How about DriveSentry only ;) runs realtime, its free, ondemand scans, easy to use HIPS present, provides update notifications, seems to do rather well in tests and is wellrespected on this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.