Avast recommends download from CNET - good idea?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

CNET already showed that they will repackage software with adware for their own profits without the creator's consent. Therefore, Avast should be ashamed as a security company.

2. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I would agree, but let's say Avast comes out and PROMISES it will not be repackaged.

I want to make sure I'm clear that I am also against any 3rd party download site being the primary means of acquiring a security product.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Avast itself may not be packaged, but that site is full of potentially unwanted programs, which Avast is supposed to protect against, due to their packaging. Therefore, giving such a site more traffic is a disservice to computer security.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I tend to agree with this statement. :isay:

5. STV0726

Yep...I agree very much as well.

It's like buying an air purifier from a company that also sells highly toxic chemicals.

6. carat

carat Guest

I agree but why don't you download Avast from filehippo.com? :doubt: :)

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That totally misses the point of my statement. It has nothing to do with what I download, but what people are exposed to: unwanted adware in Avast's case of promoting CNET.

8. STV0726

Filehippo is still a 3rd party.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So what? That's why all avast! installers come with digital signature. If it's there, you're looking at authentic installer. If it's not there, look for it somewhere else or try to re-download it.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How many times do I have to repeat myself? The download and installer do not matter. The real issue here is giving an adware site more users and software to exploit.

11. carat

carat Guest

We want to download Avast from avast.com and not from CNET Adware.com :D

12. STV0726

And aside from my 3rd party complaints, J_L is right about CNET. Why would Avast! even want to be remotely associated with something like that?

13. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

See my post earlier in the thread.

CNET Download.com is primarily a source for novice users to download software. They take notice of the top ten most popular download chart. It's dominated by AVG. Security companies want to get to the top as, once you're at the top, it appears you stay there, in a cycle of interest.

So, Avast are recommending CNET as they want to move up the most popular download chart. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have no beef with them about this, but I am angry where they cite "technical issues" over downloading from other sites. ie. as if any non-CNET download site can't be trusted or something. That's bad business.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You already have that option.... just choose to download from the Avast servers instead of the others. It's on their site...

15. carat

carat Guest

But Avast recommend CNET :(

16. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Correct Kerodo, but what chriswiles has said above is the really relevant factor,
    and inexperienced users will, most likely, use the easiest, most obvious download option and be redirected to -http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button-

And until AV companies change their priority from being high-up on CNET's chart, this will remain as it is.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

To be fair, they really should offer both download options side by side on the web page, and let the user choose...

18. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Absolutely! :thumb:

19. TigerRaptorFX

TigerRaptorFX Registered Member

I can't think of one company that has not done something stupid over the years. But that doesn't mean I am going to stop using it. Unless it is absolutely necessary. Personally I use my own judgment and avoid the scream of the chicken little and the boy who cried wolf. Every now and then I still download from CNET, just avoid their installer.

20. tgell

tgell Registered Member

With all the complaints surrounding IYogi, I cannot understand why Avast is associated with them either.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I think it's for money and market share, although there are more reputable ways of doing it.

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I think that others are trying to point out that the average or new user isn't as clever as you are, hence the concern.

23. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Maybe something like this,i mean,more obvious the download link from the Avast site?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.