avast performance tweaks

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by treehouse786, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The answer I believe would be yes to both questions.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Behavioral blocker now also guards registry (e.g. autostarts), I have used PoC's to trigger it. So definitely can confirm Rezjor's observation.

Auto Sandboxing does look at exe characteristics (like structure, whether it does has a description, not signed, no valid publisher, unuasual compression techniques, etc). Have not found out all of the trigger points, but seems to be a security layer with a different 'view' (makes sense when you also have a behavioral shield), so they seem to work independantly. Auto Sandboxing is triggered by PE-file heuristics and not by behavioral execution charistics as far I have been able to test it. In laymen terms: when malware obfuscates the excutable from being detected by the file-shield, the auto sandboxing kicks in. So you definitely need the file shield with the sandbox.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. i_g

i_g Registered Member

Well, the AutoSandbox is indeed rather independent on the Behavior Shield (as the decision on whether to sandbox an application or not has to be done before starting the executable - while the Behavior Shield watches the actions when the executable is already running). On the other hand, the Behavior Shield might supply some information about the parent (the application that is now trying to launch the executable in question) - which could affect the decision about its sandboxing.

I'm not saying such information is really used at the moment, but the rules are tuned/added continuously, so it is certainly an option for the future.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

L_C

Sandboxing is triggered by PE-file heuristics (like structure, whether it does has a description, not signed, no valid publisher, unuasual compression techniques, etc). ====>

Because it is at start of processing (actually before), Avast sandbox can sandbox everything the malware touches. Big advantage for people with very little PC knowledge: software stays consistent and intact.

Behavioral blocker can intervent only during processing (the malware has to do something suspicious), sandboxing would be partly, so the software might be inconsistent after reboot. Anti Virus has to be easy to use and simple (meaning few FP's and causing no incompatibility), so blue screens or fatal software errors are intolerable IMO for such a wide target group of noobs.

IMO Behavioral blocker will be mainly targetted at rootkits and staged intrusions (e.g. surviving re-boot) and collecting suspicious executables through user network.

5. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

although similar, the behavior shield has nothing to do here, since the FileSystem Shield uses active heuristics analysis while the image is emulated through Sandboxing

AutoSandboxing is part of the FileSystem shield

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It sure shows up well against acknowledged top AVs in the latest AVC on demand test.
    I don't worry whether or not it is considered professional, but just that it gives first rate protection. If it doesn't then prove it.
    Regards,
    Jerry

7. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

The best part is, geeks can choose what exact shields they want and the avg. Joe can just install and be protected. What's not to love?

8. rseiler

rseiler Registered Member

OK, I'll bite: the relatively high number of false positives, as reported by av-comparatives?

9. iravgupta

Arguments based on one particular test are really not worth pondering over.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've seen far worse. Few false positives in test that is just provoking to hit a FP. In real world situations, false positives are very rare. They do happen like with any other AV but are still very rare. I'f i'm honest i haven't had one for like more than half a year. If not much more than that.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm using Firefox Browser and its NoScript extension that is thorough to a fault. Is there any point in activating Avast! script shield? :)

12. iravgupta

No point really. Just increasing the chance of potential conflict.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Nonsense. Script Shield doesn't conflict with anything. It just analyzes executed scripts and unless something gets blocked, nothing can conflict.

14. iravgupta

Do you have inside knowledge on who gets to parse the script code first - NoScript or Script Shield as it is downloaded and rendered by the browser? Come on, chill a bit, vlk is not your master. You are a free human/sheep.

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Script Shield is IE-only last time I checked.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The latest Avast! shows shields for FF, Chrome and IE. Why would they make the Script Shield for IE exclusively? o_O

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Do you mean the Script Shield section or WebRep?

18. DBone

DBone Registered Member

umm, what?

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hot Key expression (Macro) for those whose pet AV did poorly.

This Macro is also useful for those who have nothing to say but feel compelled to post anyway. :shifty:

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  20. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Good advice guys.

Thanks

21. iravgupta

Take that red umbrella off-your head, the sun is out.

Thanks for demoing foot-in-mouth for wilders members.

22. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Hey wait a minute. I've got nothing to say and I didn't feel compelled to post. Doh!

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

avast 5 vs 6 resident shield speed

but
    i guess i 'm wrong

but i found avast resident shield 5 more fast then 6

does somebody agree with me?

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I find that hard to believe actually. The scan engine is basically the same in these two.

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I'm running Avast now here at work. After testing some major players, we decided to go with Avast (and Prevx) here at my work.

I do not notice any slowdowns with Avast 6. Loving it so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.