Avast or AntiVir....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hipgnosis, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

I would like to get feedback, opinions, recommendations, pros, cons, etc. regarding Avast and AntiVir anti-virus programs.

I am currently using Avast (free) but keep reading quite a bit about AntiVir these days. I have been considering changing to AntiVir (free) but I don't want to change simply for the sake of change; so I am asking for your input.

I'm kinda looking at this from the perspective of "if these were the only two anti-virus programs you had to choose from, which would you choose and why" ?

thanks

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If still on dial-up, definitely stay with Avast.

Further, although incremental updating is now part of the free AntiVir package, users are still reporting difficulty with the servers. So even with a fast internet connection, IMO, Avast still would be the better choice.

At the present time I would stay with Avast, particularly if it is running smoothly on your machine.

But AntiVir Premium would be another matter ;)

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

If AVAST and Antivir were the only two programs. Hmmm. I think I'd go with AVAST simply because Antivir, so far, is difficult to update, and their updates last time I had it were very large. I only have access to dial-up Internet at this point.

As for effectiveness, I think Antivir might be slightly better but not so much that I'd worry about it. Considering esthetics, Antivir's GUI reminds me of something from Windows 3. AVAST has a variety of skins to choose from, and some of them are pretty nice. Looks shouldn't be a consideration, but it often is. Also, AVAST is heavier on some systems than Antivir.

Still, I would go with AVAST based on ease of updating and its having an excellent forum filled with people who are quick to offer help should you have a problem.

4. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Good advice from Blackcat and Chuck57. If you're satisfied with what you have stick with it. They're both good and comparable.

Alternatively, a new version of AntiVir, with a new interface, is expected around Xmas. Maybe wait until then to try AntiVir.

5. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Blackcat, Chuck57 & InfinityAz,

Thanks for the feedback. Since there is a consensus from all of you, it looks as though there is no reason for me to change programs at this time.
    I have been using Avast for quite some time and have never had a problem, but am always on the look out for improvement.
    I’ll keep an eye on AntiVir for further improvement, especially now that InfinityAz pointed out that a new interface is due out soon.

Thanks again to all of you for you feedback and your time.

regards,
    hipgnosis

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Just add Clam AV as a secondary scanner, exists nicely with Avast.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I advice you to use avast! Home because of its features, but if you have a very old system use AntiVir PEC... ;)

8. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I would choose Avast... I'm on dial-up and it really has a fast auto updates, and its NetWork Shield really have block some network worms that tries to infect my pc in the past months, and also its WebShield gives me more peace of mind that no virus can past thru my system. It also are very compatible w my other programs, aside from that it has many features not available on other free programs in its class.

9. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) Hi, would you be so kind as to list what those features are. I have said that I think the best product is the one that works best on ones system. What works good on your system may not work that well on mine and vice a versa. I also am on dial-up and am currently using AVG, this is the one that works the best on my system, and I have tried them all at one time or an other.

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :cool:

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Well, I agree, to each his/her own, but Avast free has far more features like IM scanning, Network scanning, mail and web shield as well as P2P and boot time scan than any other free or some paid AVs out there. The Network scanning is very useful as it will block netbios ports in case your firewall gets compromised, same with the IM and P2P scanner which is a must in case of file transfers, also mail scanner and web shield's importance can't be stressed enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.