Avast or Antivir PE

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by redpower, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. security_concerned

security_concerned Registered Member

Avast user here for years, on several machines. Never had a problem. What makes a good antivirus? Prompt updates and Avast has that going for it for sure.

I'm going to try Antivir though. I'm tiring of re-registering Avast every couple of years ... lol.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Whats so hard to re-register every 14 months for a task which takes like 15 seconds to perform and gives you so powerful antivirus for free?
    Trust me, AntiVir notifier crap is FAR more annoying than avast!'s re-registering will ever be...

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

if detection-rates are your only considerations than go for avira,but if look at whole package..than avast wins hands-down here..

Also its detection rates are improving by the minute...last i saw a Av report it showed avast scoring a 95%...which is more than needed for a safe/home user..

4. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Both are good product.

Avast is install and forget product. Excellent updating, checks every 4 hours for updates and when it starts up.

Negatives for me were they seemed quite slow to add samples (They concentrate more on in the wild stuff which I guess is more important) and there lack of heuristics.

I now use Antivir Classic and Prevx1 on my main computer. Antivir is not so easy to configue regular updates (You have to set them up manually via scheduler) and yes when there was a big engine update servers became choked for a few days, but there detecion is excellent, they update samples submissions quickly and there ahead Heuristics detection is getting near to Bitdefender etc.

Both good products though and for the average home user both would be suficient.

Cheers

Jlo

5. security_concerned

security_concerned Registered Member

I was being sarcastic.

6. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

how to disable the notifier on antivir PE? thx

7. como212

como212 Registered Member

used both for a while
    Avast:best free av
    Antivir:powerful scanner with heuristic so i used it with the guard disabled.

8. TAP

TAP Registered Member

:D lol

Using avast! HE for protect my home network (5 machines), I'm problem-free, I'm fully liberated from some concerned management tasks. avast! HE can fully-silently-automatically be updated both signature and programe itself as soon as they're available (hourly checking) and whenever a machines get connected to the internet, no update-related problems at all. avast! HE can also be set to handle found malware (resident protection) automatically by using its silent mode.

So, I think the register process for new license every 14 months means nothing to me, and 1 license number can also be used for every computer in your house as long as they're not a commercial using.

9. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Antivir Notifier goaway - sadly Ive forgotten the name of the guy I am quoting now;

"It's better to use path rule instead of hash rule to block the avnotify.exe.

The following method applies to win2k/xp.

control panel-> administrative tools-> local security policy->software restriction policies->additional rules->new path rule-> choose the path of avnotify.exe (default is C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe) and the security level (disallowed)."

Works for me.

10. Jimpdx

Jimpdx Registered Member

I agree with Como212 that AntiVir excels as an on-demand scanner. Used this way, you only have to update the files prior to running a system scan, which reduces the annoyance factor considerably. The best way to disable AntiVir's real-time Guard is in services.msc---the Avira installer doesn't always get it right!

One feature of Avast Home that gets very little play is the "boot-time scan". This allows the user to scan before the OS is fully loaded, which (in theory) improves the chances of finding nasties. Now, if only the detection rates were as good as AntiVir's.........

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If the detection rates were improved Avast would be THE FAVORITE of some of us who currently use others. It has always been trouble free for me, and is one of my favorites in spite of the lower detection rates as compared with KAV, NOD, and Avira for instance.
    I have never had an infection when using it, and neither have those to whom I have recommended it.

Running well without conflicts is the single most important criterion for most of us.

Best,
    Jerry

12. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Avast detection rates will improve soon :ninja:

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

News like this deserve their own thread and wider explanations :D :cool: :thumb:

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm seeing that with your big updates definitions on the last month... :)

15. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I use both AntiVir and Avast. If I had to pick between the two I'd use Avast.

Avast support, update system and WebShield are top notch.

Cheers !

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i agree, although antivirs detection at present is superior, the whole package for avast is a better deal out of the 2.

17. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

you mean with the up-coming version:5 or you are going to add more sigs like kaspersky is going to have new heuristics engine...

18. Arup

Arup Guest

Actually boot time scan is what got me to switch from Avira to Avast, I had an infected system file that could only be repaired by a boot time scan as its locked under windows, Avast did it for me where Avira failed, I rate both as excellent AVs but Avast is excellent overall especially for novices where you would like to install an all round package for full protection.

19. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Have just removed a paid for version of Avast and replaced it with Antivir PE 7 ( free) hoping that it will be lighter to run. My e-mail provider runs a virus check and as I never find anything bad these days I have been tempted to run with no virus program at all - and simply rely upon my hardware firewall, ProSecurity, and Firefox (no script). Initial running suggests that Antivir is lighter so may be a keeper.

20. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I have stopped using KAV and NOD32 (license expiries) on mine and kids PCs and replaced all round with AntiVir (free version). Very happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.