Avast in merger talks with NortonLifeLock

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stapp, Jul 15, 2021.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

With all these mergers, I want to switch to an AV that NO other company wants -- merger-proof, in other words. Any suggestions? :)

But seriously... who needs a signature-based AV nowadays? Isn't a whitelist-based AV plus Macrium Reflect (or similar) enough?

2. mood

mood Updates Team

NortonLifeLock and Avast PLC to merge in $8.4 billion transaction
    The two companies said they will create a "new, industry-leading consumer Cyber Safety business."
    August 10, 2021
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/norto...-to-merge-in-8-billion-all-stock-transaction/

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Ah great! Oh well, once Win10 is EOL I'll probably migrate to Linux full-time anyway.

4. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I have been considering doing this. I have tried a half dozen different distros in the last month to see which one I liked most. Still have 4 years until EOL, but I was in a hurry when I learned Microsoft won't be upgrading my pc and laptop to Windows 11.

Norton will have acquired Avira, Avast, AVG and BullGuard. The field is narrowing.

5. misterman2100

misterman2100 Registered Member

It's a done deal. An $8 billion dollar deal. I'm curious to see when Norton will pull the plug on all the free antivirus software.

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Consolidation of companies is often because of lack of profitability. I have said often here that soon AVs will cost next to nothing or be free. I suspect Microsoft is going to run the table on the remaining firms as well.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Handwriting is on the wall. To be sure.

8. anon

anon Registered Member

NortonLifeLock and Avast Merger would create a new cyber security behemoth
    https://www.ghacks.net/2021/08/11/n...r-would-create-a-new-cyber-security-behemoth/

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, if they do it will be game over for them in the consumer space, unless they can somehow entice users to drop Win Defender by offering premium features, but I doubt it.

10. IBK

IBK AV Expert

"NortonLifeLock is merging with Avast, which already owned AVG. Add this to Norton’s Purchase of Avira in 2020, and it looks like consolidation is running rampant. How worried should we be that the days of free antivirus are numbered?"
    https://uk.pcmag.com/security/135044/is-norton-planning-to-kill-free-antivirus

I would bet that they will continue offering also free versions, as they are a source of tons of data, which is more valuable.

11. itman

itman Registered Member

I will first note that the "predator" Symantec of old ceased to exist in 2019:
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/symantec-becomes-nortonlifelock

However, I really can't see free AV offerings being compatible with the above marketing model.

Also these mergers are just strengthening consolidation against the Microsoft onslaught into security software offerings. Why offer a free AV version when one is already built into Windows and recent AV lab tests show it offers adequate malware protection for most consumers?

Then there is Kaspersky which offers a free AV version many consider the best of the current free AV offerings.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

In the short term I will agree. They will vacuum up as much of that data as they can. In the long run though I'm not so sure.

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes exactly, why would they kill free AV's if people will then simply stick with Win Defender? It will only give M$ an even bigger market share.

14. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Used to use Kaspersky Security Cloud free. Today I restored my OS from a Terabyte TBI disk image file I made half a year ago and used ConfigureDefender tool to set the Windows Defender security to max. That's it for me with free 3rd party AVs. Had been a nice ride since a few years ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.