Avast Home vs Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, and I had not noticed the change in name. I do think the Free is a better description than Home.
    Regards,
    Jerry

2. progress

progress Guest

Avast Home (Free) was tested at AV-C and it scored better than Panda, AVG and Avira. I think the script protection should be ok :)

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

does malwarebytes website scanner and avasts web shield conflict?

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

You mean the IP blocker?

5. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yes, its now call the website blocking

6. doktornotor

Well, it doesn't conflict, however the IP blocker is bad enough to cause a huge latency itself, and it's even worse w/ the webshield for some people. IMNSHO this MBAM feature is pretty broken.

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah the website blocking feature is pretty bad. It slowed down my download from 20 mb to 10mb. Now I know that people are going to say "hey thats not bad you still have 10mb and you probably won't even use it to anyway". Its still my connection that a program is lagging to death. Plus I'm sure that I have a enough web sheilds w/ OA and sitting behind geswall. It needs to be improved. Malwarebytes has come leaps and bounds over the past year or 2. I'm sure that it will only get better. The development team over there seems to be plugging along.

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Does Avast 5 work well under limited accounts?

9. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Possible, but not probable. Their website was updated for v5, I doubt that its an issue. It singles out IE and 32 bit systems. If that were the case they would also single out versions.

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I've tried to find where Avast free version can be used in a home office. Could you post a link which verifies that Avast free can be used in this fashion? It's not that I don't believe you, I just have not been able to find such info. And a home office is something I will be starting very soon. The Avast free version I am seeing says for non commercial use only.

Thanks

12. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm started to think you're right about this. I know I have seen scripts in the Script Shield Traffic window before, but after about an hour of surfing I haven't seen one yet. I never use IE, so I'm stumped as to why I've seen scripts show up here in the past. :doubt:

13. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Your home office isnt a commercial business. Its still residential. Not to mention they would never know unless you had 50-100+ connections all from within the same IP range connecting to the update servers. You will be fine.

14. doktornotor

15. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

Impressive. Without any boost with persistent cache avast was one of the fastest scanning engine. And now I can imagine nothing can compare with it..

16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

its def tru, scan speed is ridiculously shorter now, id says its over 2-3x faster on my system now wen doing a full scan.

17. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

After ten days, I am impressed :) Turning every settings to its max, like scanning every file, packers....etcetera, I hardly notice it's presence and webshield doesn't slow down either. :cool: I like the way persistent cache kicks in after the first On-demand scan :argh:

I'm sold

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

My home office is part of a small business...no servers or anything like that though- just one desktop computer.

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Avast has a good deal at the moment 2 years for the price of 1 on both antivirus & internet security :cool:

20. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

a very interesting interview just came up in softpedia from ALWIL's Chief Technology Officer Ondrej Vlcek.
    As he says: While we don’t disclose the exact numbers, I can say that the actual percentage of people who upgrade to the paid product is in low single digits.

also that alwil is working on a cloud implementation.

full article: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Softpedia-Exclusive-Interview-avast-5-140693.shtml

21. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Have auditioned both Avast Pro and Internet Security Suite. Too be frank I merely need effective a/v protection without the extras. I'm currently using Avast 5.0...Free with Prevx 3.0 with Safe Web and P.C.Tools Firewall Plus...point being two of the apps are no charge...and Superb. Like a lot of people I'm waiting for improvements in the Sandbox feature...otherwise Avast Free for me is Absolutely...Excellent ! Sincerely...Securon

22. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Gotta ask about the pro version... how does the sandbox of avast! compare to COMODO's in terms of security and usability? I want to be secure as well as have it easy to install something either inside OR outside the sandbox, depending on if something works when inside or not.

23. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Having never used the Comodo product I'm not in a position to provide an opinion ! But having used it with Avast Pro it seemed to work effectively, when it's initiated a thin red border surrounds your browser and provides a phantom mode. Other than the obvious it seemed to perform as advertised. Forgive the generalities;as I'm new to the merits of sandbox technology and can't provide valid insight. But having used it; I felt it provided an extra layer of protection. Sincerely...Securon

24. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Yes, and now that I think about it, I don't think they'd have created one if it provided the full spectrum of virtualization-protection.

Now what's left to be answered is usability. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.