Avast Home vs Avast Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am hoping that Bit Defender gets their act together and I can continue to use it without the frustrations I have experienced.

However, if they do not, I am planning to go with Avast in the future.
    What are the real advantages of the Pro version that makes it worth the cost over the free version. Does it offer better protection?

I put the free version on my old computer after NAV expired, and liked it. However, I only had it a couple of months.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

The only differences between the 2 I believe it this. Pro has an advanced interface (more options, for fine tuning) and also includes a script-check/blocker. Other than that I believe they are the same (defs, scanning engine, etc.)

3. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Avast Antivirus Versions comparison - http://www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_comp.html

I think the major differences between Home and Pro are Enhanced User Interface so you can get through the vast configurations that limited in Home Edition and the PUSH updates mechanism.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. The free version appears better than I had thought.

I am behind a hardware firewall, although it is set to a low level, and have LnS as my software firewall. With an AT, I currently have the paid version of Ewido, and good anti-spyware I think that the free Avast would give the needed protection.
    The mwav escan scanner is a help also.

I do like BD, and if they can get things to operate smoothly I will probably stay with it.

Jerry

5. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Hey Jerry

I have been testing Avast pro for nearly 3 months now.

So far I am pretty impressed, the latest flavour seems very good with respect to memory useage and detection rates, well, so far I have yet to be attacked (I am lucky and in 3 months I have had no need for avast to step in) and yes I scan weekly with Kaspersky to double check. ;)

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

You may still consider using BD (remember my PM)....:p:D:D

7. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

I have found the interface and configurability of the free edition of avast! to be more than adequate. It even includes the very handy behavior blocker! During my trial of the Pro version, I did not see any really compelling reason to buy Pro except to support the company.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for thr replies. I have to continue to ask questions to keep my friend Firecat up to speed.Some day he may be a professor, and will need to realize that it takes a lot of time and effort to teach those in the slow group.

I also do also realize that companies cannot operate without income, and keep their priducts up to date.

Now that I have not had any trouble for a week or so, and BD seems to be making great strides (I read that anyway,) I am not thinking of ditching it. However, there is a lot to say for Avast free, and especially when combined with other good programs.

Jerry

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Me...A Professor!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.