? Avast Free vs Avast Paid Version

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Larry38, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry38

Larry38 Registered Member

Several days ago I removed AVG Pro, (I have used both AVG Free and AVG Pro for almost two years) after reading the reviews about the WMF Exploit. AVG Didn't come out too well. I downloaded Avast 4.6 and giving it a test drive. I feel a little safer with it. Does anyone use the paid version? Is it worth buying, or is the free version just as good?
    Is there another program that may be better, and if so does it have a free trial period?
    Originally I had Norton and Dumped it.
    I don't mind paying for a security program that will protect my computer, like it is supposed to.
    Thanks for any input.
    Larry

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think the main difference is that the Pro version offers script blocking as a plugin for IE. Aside from that, I believe the two are virtually identical. If you don't need the script blocking then stick with the free version, it has great features and works well.

3. Murtadh

Murtadh Guest

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u run scheduled scans and need to customize them, then u might wanna lean towards the pro version as the free version lacks it as well as the enhanced interface.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Larry,
    [Is there another program that may be better, and if so does it have a free trial period?]

You will get a lot of different opinions regarding that question. I personally like Bit Defender 9.0, and it does have a free trial. I think most have that free trial, and you might want to look at NOD32, KAV, or Dr Webb. I think any would be a great choice, and I think better than Avast.

Having said that I am using Avast free on my second computer. However, if I understood the information from Bit Defender, I do not have to buy a second license for my second computer since it is purely for home use. I may not understand what was said, but in the next couple of days I will have the correct information. That is a good reason for BD 9.0 if correct. It also cost less than the other top AVs I think. Give it a look if you are considering a paid AV.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. Larry38

Larry38 Registered Member

My Thanks to everyone, especially Jerry for the additional info. I will check them out. Just checking out options for now.
    I use WXP Home SP2 and Dialup, just a normal home user. (one PC)
    I have Avast, ZA Free,(no problem between Avast and ZA) Ewido Plus and MSAS running, also have many other on demand programs. My PC is over two years old and has never been infected, I am very carefull to update and scan regularly.
    Thanks again, any other suggestions welcome.
    Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.