Avast boot scan

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ruairi, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruairi

ruairi Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    this is my first post so please go easy if it aint in the correct thread.
    My laptop has recently been playing up by freezing on start up.not loading task bar,redirecting my browser and not allowing me to access sites regarding internet security.
    So I ran a few different programmes such as avg,and spybot and thesse found a variety of spyware,malware and viruses.
    So having taken care of these I still was having some trouble tho not as bad as before.
    The main problem is between boot up and loading my personal settings,sometimes it fails to loadmy taskbar and desktop and then freezes.So I ran avast at boot up which returned several trojans.Only one of which I was able to move to the chest,when I tried to do anything with the others I got the message 'specified file is read only'.
    The trojans found were called C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\lsass.exe and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\spoolsv.exe...[this was the only one I was able to move to the chest.
    I may also add it seems one of these is stopping my browser from acessing sites that provide free security software.
    Please could someone advise me please.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I hate to say it, but in my opinion, it's time for a reformat for you... When it gets that far gone, fixing things is pretty dubious, and the time spent trying to do so will probably far exceed the time needed to reformat and reinstall the OS. If you have your disks, or a restore image on another partition, I would do the reinstall. Just save or backup any data you have, and make sure it's clean also when you put it back.

3. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Yes, I agree with Kerodo that it´s time to reformat since they already messed around with your systemfiles. Either use some other OS (*nix, Vista) or if you have XP, create an user account + hardening immediately after your new Windows installation (see here how to achieve this).

/C.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

+1 for reinstall from scratch.

5. ruairi

ruairi Registered Member

cheers guys,it wont even load my desktop now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.