Avast and VPS 42040 ??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ghodgson, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi, Can anybody throw any light on this problem.
    I am Running Win XP on my PC, with Kerio 4.2 firewall and have had Avast Home running trouble free for maybe 3 years now.........until last week. Everything was going fine, PC shut down normally one evening and then the next day-- big trouble. Which was strange because nothing was modified or changed- to my knowledge. I tried to boot up and the PC would'nt boot, took me a while to root out the problem, I found that Avast said it was 'encountering a RPC problem'. I booted in safe mode and tried to repair Avast with no luck, eventually uninstalled, cleaned the registry and re installed with a 'new' copy of Avast. Everything worked fine again for 3 days, when the PC would'nt boot again, this time Avast 'said' VPS 42040 file destroyed. I had to uninstall Avast again and afterwards the PC booted fine. I googled this error ref and also looked in Avast forums. It seems quite a few people are having this problem lately, but no answers as to why. 42040 was stated as being a file with a wrong compression ?? Apart from that I dont know what may be causing this series of problems. I have now uninstalled Avast and have installed AVG which is running trouble free. I do like Avast though and particularly miss the Webshield, it would be a shame not to have Avast anymore.
    Any ideas anybody??
    Thanks Gordon

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Have you posted on the Avast forum? I hate to hear this as Avast Home has been my fall back AV for a fair number of years, and has always run without problems.
    If you find the solution, please post it.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. ghodgson

Thanks, there seems to be some sort of answer here...............

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=967bcd68f3c54f431c66baf07f024f9f&topic=5135.msg37571

with this workaround,

Re:vps file was destroyed
    Please open the file <avast>\setup\setup.ini, and in the [Parts] section, change the line that says
    part.vps=vps-42403
    to e.g.
    part.vps=vps-42402
    Then reinvoke the VPS update.

There is no reply so I dont know if it works. Maybe have to try ??...when I get time. !!
    Cheers Gordon

4. ghodgson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.