AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1483)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by spywar, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Once you reset comodo's sandbox there is no trace. I'll check out you're videos now.

2. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Yes either reset or just a reboot I'll test it just like I test Avast (once my VM will be set up :D).

3. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Ok thanks :)

4. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

OK but I dont care...If they dont care to explain the test methods then I am not the one interested.More ever his statements like saying "executing 3 or 4" makes me think of how small his sample set may have been... :rolleyes:

More ever,the test talks nothing about the autosandboxing or filerep alerts where the case is user dependent many a times and he always talked about only the antivirus

Why not compare here...just 1 filerep alert in whole testing..C'mon this wasnt the condition with AV-C

Now I feel like his tests are only running on with the AV and not with the other components...

@ Breakfastofchumps

Come on! if you had seriously been testing avast yourself like I and spywar have been doing you could know how the detection has jumped with the new technologies..Wait until first AV-C 2013 comparative though I have objection against them just wait and watch how it does there against other products with all new technologies and stuff in current use. ;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. anon

anon Registered Member

avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1484 R2 Beta
    What version is this? o_O

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  6. 93036

93036 Registered Member

Umm, avast! Free Antivirus v8.0.1484 R2 Beta?

7. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

8. anon

anon Registered Member

9. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I'm curious how Avast 8 works WRT to email and, in particular, Thunderbird. IIRC, Avast 6 and 7 required that you configure an email client to not use a secure connection so that Mailshield could see the unencrypted traffic. Mailshield would provide a secure connection with the server. So when one of those versions is uninstalled you lose the software that is providing the secure connection and protecting email messages/credentials. Hopefully there is a warning about that.

What happens during/after an update to Avast 8? I read that it uses root certificates to MITM email and browser connections. Are those root certificates automatically installed in products like Firefox and Thunderbird? Are there any Mozilla warnings about the attempt or is it accomplished silently? Does Avast 8 pick up earlier version settings and automatically secure connections to email servers? For example, where you had previously disabled SSL/TLS in your email client?

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Basically avast! becomes a mail client and all the mail is transferred to the actual e-mail client locally and unencrypted. If you uninstall avast!, actual e-mail client will simply stop receiving mail. All the services that required secure connections always refused to work with unencrypted settings (GMail POP/IMAP for example).

11. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I don't think the behavior you describe can be relied upon in general. Email servers can support both plaintext and (implicit) SSL/TLS on the very same port. They can also support both plaintext and (explicit) SSL/TLS via STARTTLS on the very same port. I'm too lazy to look for an admin survey someone might have done to try to assess the prevalence of such server setups and people using them. We have to be concerned about the possibilities though, particularly SMTP servers supporting plaintext and STARTTLS on the same port I would think.

Complicating matters, the Avast 6 mailshield... and I *assume* the Avast 7 mailshield as well, feel free to correct this... would change the port in outgoing connections in at least some scenarios. I just tested one flavor of this via Avast 6. I configured an SSL account for $server:467:TLS then did a telnet $server 25. Avast 6 ignored my port 25 specification and established a connection on 467 (using STARTTLS) instead. Had that been an email client and my goal to use encryption, I would be fine right up until I uninstalled Avast 6. Afterwards, my email client would continue to function exactly as before but my outgoing emails and login credentials would be in the clear. Over the Internet, since $server was a remote test server and I'm not behind an outgoing port 25 blocker.

It is those types of possibilities that came to mind and prompted part of what I posted. I was mostly interested, though, in how Mozilla software behaves when another application tries to add a root certificate. I was hoping to hear Firefox and Thunderbird have a mechanism to block that until explicitly approved by the user from within those programs.

12. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

Avast VPN woundering what it Will cost:)

13. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

http://www.avast.com/secureline-vpn#tab1

Some prices are listed here. $9.99 month is general price for VPN (for many VPN services).

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

$70/year isn't bad. VPN service can be had for less than that as well, but it's important to do the homework and make sure the service is fast and reliable.

I recently got a one year subscription for a service for only $40. It's OK for my purposes, but there are some issues I wasn't aware of going in and I won't use them again. The ideal is to get a free trial (some providers offer them) so you can test the service and client software.

15. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Well I personally have been using Avast! VPN for quite a long time now and I can't complain about speed. For me it's stable, fast and reliable. I haven't been using it that intensely tho (not 24/7).

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Do you know what the difference is between the regular and pro service? I can't find any details on the site - there's no mention of bandwidth or speed caps, or server limitations.

17. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Unfortunately I do not :(
    I'm using PRO. It's either server limitations or somthing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.