Avast! 8 Beta?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

To tell the truth, I'm happy to see Software Health here. It would be really good if it's "set and forget".

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

If it does what i think it does, auto-update applications, it will be the first thing i will disable. :D In the picture i saw it even has WinRar in there. I prefer to manually update my software after i read release notes and i certainly don't want my antivirus to do that too. It's enough that one has Windows security center bitching about antivirus, backup, windows updates and having to silence it, i don't need an antivirus with filehippo installed on it doing the same. :D This is bloat for me. I don't mind if it exists, as long as i can exclude it for installing. So those who like it, keep it, those who don't, leave it out.

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yes, the install can be set to custom and then you can install anything you want to or not. I messed around with a full install, then I changed the config several times, until I got down to just the file shield, with nothing else installed. No issues during that process.

4. Fuzzfas

Yep, that's what i do too. Only file shield and behaviour shield. Although i haven't ever seen the behaviour shield do anything. I have seen the sandbox in 2 occasions.

5. avastfan1

avastfan1 Guest

autosandbox should be improved also, changelog tells so on point 7

sound like a dev wrote it so i think it applies. can someone confirm if this are the changes? couldnt find anything here http://www.avast.com/beta

but the file i found on the russian site mentions a lot more!?

6. Fuzzfas

ROFLMAO @ "evangelists". :D :argh: I would expect a term like that being used in Comodo. Oh wait, i don't want to know. And i hope Melih isn't reading this, cause he may get strange ideas. :D

7. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Don't you realize that the health of software degrades with time, particularly if you do not give your software proper exercise and adequate data input? Ample sunlight and talking to it helps as well, as we all know. Your existing software becomes sickly the moment that a new version is released. This has something to do with instantaneous transport of energy through space/time dimensions. I think. The field of software medicine is new to me I'm afraid. Anyway, the important thing is that you have a software doctor and care for the health of your software. You owe it to your software. Don't forget to take all your software's settings, logfiles, etc with you when you take it to see the doctor. They may need those to make an informed decision!

8. Fuzzfas

:D Let me tell you. If software starts asking me to pay for health insurance or else goes to strike, i will even install "Software Health" and accept an Avast "Nurse widget" to run alongside.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

im also hoping they don't get crazy with more add on's there imo were to many as it is I miss the avast that was v5 before they added in the facebook junk and the credit card pop ups among many other things. I would honestly have like to see v8 get stripped down some and remove some of the junk I never use and most people who use avast that I know don't use either.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

No!

The Rules

1. Never expose them to bright light, especially sunlight.

2. Never get them wet.

3. Never feed them after midnight.

Responsible ownership of software requires proper knowledge and care.

11. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Not so good here.I ran a fresh snapshot, totally clean.

Avast installed, one stall during installation,but we got past that. Update checking stalled out and was forever cycling. Reboot fixed that. Malware Domain blocking went really well.

With all PUP options turned on, it literally missed every pup I threw at it, and some of them were pretty lousy ones such as RK, or SaveAS, it simply missed 100% of the pups. Really lousy performance there. Context scanning wouldn't work, it stalled. Reboot didn't fix it. I hit it with a couple reasonably new malware, and the system got infected.

I couldn't restore the snapshot fast enough to get rid of it - frankly.

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's probably time folks were reminded this is a closed Beta, and a Beta that was never meant to be in the hands of anyone but the special group of testers that do the dirty work before it gets in other hands. Should we even be discussing this thing whether it has leaked or not? Unless I've missed some change in the last few hours, we probably shouldn't be.

13. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Two words....Closed Beta. If your expecting it run like a RC then you shouldn't be using it.

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Yes I agree, you shouldn't use Avast 8.0 Beta like The final version, take a deep breath

15. Bodhitree

Wierd, because it is an RC, and I got the RC off the open beta forums.

Maybe I downloaded the wrong thing? I was testing this; http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=107241.0

and it was still a mess.

16. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

" *** RC Build 7.0.1472 *** " It's the RC for Version 7, not 8.

17. Bodhitree

I just followed the first link posted, but to be honest, I don't really care too much about Avast, so I will be quiet now.. :rolleyes:

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, it's a pre-beta which was never meant for the public so it cannot be possibly judged in any way. It's like stealing a prototype car from a Volkswagen factory and then complaining on the internet that bunch of features don't work or are broken. Well, doh...

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Re: AVAST 8 seem to be there

The release cycle will be the same as for all the major releases in the past. End of February, very early March at worst scenario...

20. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Video reviews have already begun despite it being a 'closed beta' :doubt:
    Review HERE
    And also HERE

21. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Re: AVAST 8 seem to be there

Wasn't a bad guess then ;)

22. avastfan1

avastfan1 Guest

seems a new day a new leak...the post on the russia forum was edit yesterday and now it has that

~Private information removed~

seems it is really not stable

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  23. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well no s**t. Perhaps though the discussion leaks shouldn't keep travelling...*hint hint*

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I like it. I think the new GUI is clean and parts still have the old also. As far as stability, I have it running on a Windows 8 64 bit computer and no issues. Browser page opening is a tad slow but I know that is because of beta.

But, I am a AVAST critic and have to say, it looks very good.:thumb:

25. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

First, I hope they get rid of the prompts to install the Google Browser (plus make it the default browser) and the Google Toolbar.
    I realize it brings in revenue and that makes freeware versions more possible, but still, it's just tacky. :thumbd:

I installed the pre-beta but couldn't get it to work for me.
    I read the disclaimer about XP and while it did install, it failed to update and continued to lock up my computer despite three hard reboots.
    I couldn't even get it to run in safe mode except for a full system scan that never showed scan progress. After several minutes, I rebooted and uninstalled
    it.

At this point I have no opinion regarding the interface.
    It's different for Avast but right in line with the current trending toward a "more Windows 8 look". I hope to try it again if it becomes more "XP friendly".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.