avast! 7.0 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

If you're going to try the program make an back up first. I couldn't remove it for the life of me! It worked ok except for trying to sandbox a few games and causing them to crash, and the manual update didn't seem to do anything, oh and the cloud only seemed to be connected 10% of the time.
    The real problems came when removing it.
    I already did.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  2. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i feel its the time to try avast internet security
    i hope its light on my computer

i will try it today and i will see if i will change Norton internet security !!

3. EboO

EboO Registered Member

What's about comodo and OA problem ?
    Is there a solution planned ?

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

looking at their forum once again it looks like an anti virus company has released, and indeed auto updated previous avast to a program that has been shipped without proper testing. I think most are guilty of this!

5. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

You will most likely need the avast uninstall utility. The suggestion is to run it in Safe Mode. Here's the d/l link for the avast uninstall utility:

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Hope that helps.

Also, of interest...there is a major problem with their server(s) now, and so no types of virus/engine or program updates are currently possible. I would imagine it should be fixed soon. But as far as program updates (from 6 to 7) are concerned, a lot of folks are going back to version 6.

Here's a link to the most "current" old version 6 (6.0.1367):

http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?old_avast=6918

6. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I'm not a fan of avast! But I really do hope they resolve these issues soon because this product looks very promising indeed.

7. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

VLK has just posted over on the Avast forum
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94454.0

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding Online Armor what problem are you referring to? I'm running OA and Avast 7 in a VM at the moment and I'm not observing any problems.

9. stratoc

stratoc Guest

The removal tool tried (like me) and failed. I couldn't remove 2 drivers. so I rolled back. I make image before I try any security product, and am very glad I did!

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It would be more helpful if you could say specifically what the problems are. I'm running Avast 7 along with Online Armor in a VM at the moment and I'm not observing any problems. I was able to update every version of the beta and then the "final" through the internal updater without difficulty. Of course my experience is anecdotal and so is yours. Forums typically present a skewed, negative view since that's where the people having problems go. We don't know how widespread the issues are. Regarding uninstalling, failures happen. Virtually all security software products have dedicated removal tools to deal with it. Why see this as a deal breaker?

11. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

12. vlk

vlk AV Expert

So, have you manually invoked a PROGRAM update (from the avast UI) in the last ~12 hours?

Thanks
    Vlk

13. EboO

EboO Registered Member

It seems that the problem with comodo and avast webshield is potentially the same with OA.
    I did the same test than you with comodo and avast on vm, same with avast and OA and no problem. But some people seems to have issues with firewall with proper drivers.

14. stratoc

stratoc Guest

post 151 (top of this page)

15. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

OK. (I do the same thing as far as making full system image backups before making any major changes.)

16. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Yes last night! cant get any new def updates at this time
    getting some 404 error?? on the progress bar

17. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Same here. All I see for the past 15 minutes is it saying it's initializing and to please wait. My av definitions are 120226-4.

18. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

after my mom went to update avast 7 last night it looked okay but after a restart it would not start any shields and fix now did nothing so i did a remote session using team viewer with here desktop and tried a uninstall which just hung i could not close it manually.. nothing it was totally locked up. i had to have her hard reboot it she did and i went into safe mode with her to use the uninstall utility after using it now it simply bsod's a loop and nothing more i can now do from here sadly she lives in tenn. and im in florida so now i have to have her send me either her computer or hard drive, not happy. if i could somehow get her back into safe mode do you think this tool could do anything for this case? WE DID NOT INSTALL OR REMOVE anything but avast to try a reinstall. it seems it corrupted something and now cannot start at all..thoughts vlk??

20. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

they release this

21. Chuck57

I went over to the Avast board and read several threads. The common theme of many was to uninstall completely and reinstall avast. This was before the fix was ready.

So, I gritted my teeth and did a complete uninstall using Revo uninstaller. Whatever happened, when revo finished the uninstall (over 700 files and an hour) I rebooted and Avast IS 7 was still there, working perfectly. It updated and all is well. It's running smooth and light.

I can't explain it but will be watching closely for the next few days just in case.

22. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

The current version now is fixed? There are some many forums discussing this it's hard to keep up...the bad side of having 160 million users I guess.

23. Chuck57

I don't know if it's fixed or not. Mine seems to be running better now, but with all the problems this new release is having I'm not convinced it's all fixed yet.

I'll be honest. The only reason I haven't switched to something else is because I just bought a license last week, and I'm cheap and hate throwing money away.

24. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

They will get it fixed...worked great until today for me...was faster than v6...I like several of their features so I'll be patient.:doubt:

25. Chuck57

It is faster than 6 and seems lighter on this old computer.

I just had the bad luck to buy avast 6 IS right at the time they were moving to 7 and got caught in the usual new version problem cycle. It's been a tough few days, but it will get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.