avast! 7.0 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Same here Chuck57...it seems lighter than v6...glad to see someone else with same results. I just can't find anything wrong so far.:doubt:

2. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

yep,no problem with previous version.
    I terminated Diskeeper service then also Process Lasso but no luck. Still HIGH CPU usage.
    another screenie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

No problem with Version 7 here too..
    Working as it should be!!!Nice new features ...:D :D

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sometimes just terminating services isn't enough as the drivers are still running.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Hi, after a long time of peace and quiet i was forced to uninstall Avast. The problem isn't just with Avast 7, but started about 15 days ago, with Avast 6 too, the problem being that i couldn't identify it was Avast's fault.

aswSP.SYS gives BSOD with PFN LIST corrupt error.

Sorry, i don't have the dump file anymore, i used CCleaner without thinking about it. The BSOD was completely random, i am just glad i found the culprit (using Nirsoft's program), before my nerves got exhausted.

I hope you will find out whatever it's causing it.

Using Win7x64, no other security program running at startup, well except for Sphinx' Win7 Firewall Control Plus.

EDIT: Oh, running only File Shield and behaviour shield, persistent cache enabled, community features disabled.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  6. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

I must say I have to UNINSTALL when I could no longer find what cause HIGH CPU USAGE. Hopefully VLK can provide another solution of this issue.

I will do some random test by myself on other PC where Avast7 installed and running fine.

thanks

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

HI,abu shofwan, can you please disable Process Lasso (if it is running realtime) and see if the problem persists. Because, I used to get similar issues in the past with other security software with Process Lasso/System Explorer/Process Hacker. You don't have to uninstall it. Just disable the service and startup item for the time being and restart your PC.

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

BSDO on my Win7 x32 Ultimate is gone :thumb:

Since I have a deny execute/run as basic user policy implemented, I only run
    a) File shield
    - execution of binaries (excluded Programs Files, Windows for execute, still checked at write, Program Files\Common files will be still be checked at execution)
    - create/write of executables (excluded Program Data, still check on execution)
    - check USB when connected
    b) Behaviour shield (standard)
    c) Script shield (standard, only checking IE9, since IE9 is my banking browser and IE9 is hardened through group policy)

Seems to work well now, with little I/O. New cloud connect is probably reason for leaner update at-after startup (in full config, - not mine -, it uses at least 300 MB less disk I/O with all shields up in default).

The behavioral shield really has improved. I have set UAC to deny elevation of unsigned programs and allowed admins to elevate silently. The benefit of no UAC pop-ups with the hard denial of unsigned programs is for me a convieniance - security balance. The behavioral blocker in auto mode checks executables (also dll's etc) when they touch file and registry locations which are vulnarable to malware. I have tried it without the file shield, but you want the smart cache of file shield (with file shield behavioral blocker uses less I/O and CPU time, because it skips safe signed executables/dll's).

For average users Avast in full setup is great, now it also is an excellent choice for tweakers and security enthousisasts with HIPS or deny execute/whitelist policies. :thumb:

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      118.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  9. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Kees every time i see a post from you i want to try it out too. Great settings on keeping the CPU and disk access low. :)

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

As long as you have a whitelist solution in place ;) it works great

11. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I investigated the issue a bit further using a virtual machine, and it appears that the 15 seconds delay comes from Avast 7 trying to connect to internet every time a new executable is run, but the problem is that I disabled all cloud related options in Avast (the site it tries to connect is vl.ff.avast.com)... Does anyone from Avast have any idea why is this still happening ? Thanks a lot!

12. Function

Function Registered Member

I am having a very strange issue with Avast 7 that I did not have when I was using Avast 6.

When Web Shield is turned on, all HTTP sites are blocked. Firefox and IE both cannot access http websites.

Thunderbird works fine, HTTPS works fine. But any normal HTTP site is blocked.

If I turn off Web Shield I can access the HTTP sites. What can I do to fix this?

The only temporary solution I found is not running the Web Shield. I will only visit sites I trust for now but is there a fix for this?

Running
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    SuperAntiSpyware
    SpyShelter
    Online Armor Pro
    Malware Bytes Pro

Using Sandboxie as well but out of the sandbox when Web Shield is enable HTTP sites still don't load.

13. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Make sure to allow avast in Online Armor rules. Web shield doesn't scan HTTPS/port 443 by default so that's why there's no issue with it.

14. Function

Function Registered Member

You fixed it! For some reason OA was blocking some ports for Avast. Now everything is working again.

Many thanks :)

15. Get

Get Registered Member

Still have the same problem and also here at work it has and we haven't got a hips here... . Avast is the only security. Any ideas would be more than welcome.

16. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

@clubhouse
    my bad - i assumed you already have one of the latest v5 installed.

@Palancar
    there actually no difference between the offcial build and waterfox - no gain
    of power or anything else. they wrote same on distribution site.
    but in future!?

i have the official build running on 64bit cause i dont care any speed test,
    i need a stable browser. unfortunately i have here MBAM pro running for
    minimal background security, is not my main system (win7/32 is).

@abu shofwan
    is that picture from XP or Win7? And how dioes that combinate with your signature?
    i already wrote about MBAM pro as a second background scanner.
    What about NIS?
    And in fact - Tuneup may blow your system also in a bad manner.

And - Avast has self protection - lasso CANT change anything on service or any other part from avast.
    on a fresh system pls - then install some other components.
    assuming your signature is present status there must be a culprit.

HTH

17. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Is there a way to "disable" or bypass AutoSandbox when i start an application with Sandboxie?

18. Brummelchen

no - just disable avast sandbox in total. anyway - no need for 2 boxed - SBIE is more than avast.

19. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Sbie is different but not more. Sbie doesnt distinguish between good or bad files.

20. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

21. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

is browser protection included in free version...and how good it tis.

22. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

23. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I couldn't find out why it wouldn't let me register. And i am not going into endless reinstall since i will be starting again when Windows 8 CP comes out.

So let's hope that will works out then.

24. Get

Get Registered Member

The screen is gone after reinstalling, but now I see in event viewer :
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    aswSnx.

o_O

Repair didn't help.

25. Brummelchen

iwod - same here - not your fault. use mail registration instead.

btw just uninstalled theses minutes - too much interferences with sandboxie
    with too much excluded (setup) files. in any case i got messages of werfault
    and that is pain in my back.

maybe the solve it sometimes, but for now done again with avast.

checking events for startup with avast - nice delays :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:
    theses delays are NOT acceptable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.