avast! 7.0 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Why not just set it ask?.The setting is still there in the free version .

2. carat

carat Guest

Because my mom isn't able to decide what to do :oops: Does the AutoSandbox still kill Winamp? :doubt:

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Exactly. If it gets sandboxed, you can still exclude it later after you see it's clean when it tries to run inside sandbox.

4. carat

carat Guest

I know, but my mom can't do that :(

Ah I see, maybe I should look again, thank you! :)

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Yep can be disabled ,though you may have to set it for her.

Attached Files:

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I hate the fact that it like to sandbox steam games alot.

7. carat

carat Guest

A clever whitelist would be fine (for winamp too :D )

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'd just tweak AutoSandbox opposed to entirely disabling it. Disable everything except file reputation, suspicious source and remote/removable media. This way you should decrease sandboxing to very minimum, yet still have it on for the more obvious things. AutoSandbox dialogs also state what was the reason for sandboxing. You could disable just that criteria in the settings.

But again, i recommend usage of exclusions. Yes, it sometimes sandboxes something you wouldn't expect it to, but that was more problematic before with v6 because there was no cloud backbone. v7 can verify other things through cloud and then decide to sandbox. It also happened that some app was sandboxed few times but then it wasn't anymore, meaning it was flagged as fully clean by avast! (whitelisted i assume). Or because its reputation increased in the cloud.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If you or people you help don't want to (or can't) interact with security software then features requiring interaction need to be disabled. Alternatively you could use a security product that is designed to virtually never require user input (Norton Internet Security gets very close).

Security by its nature is inconvenient. We put up with it because the alternative is worse.

10. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Matt Rizos made a video of Avast! I.S. version 7 removal capabilities. Below, is the link:

---http://remove-malware.com/---

Thanks,

Carlos

11. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

the result is bad but all AVs have alot of issues removing fake av's.

12. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I see I've brought about a healthy discussion. I am aware it can be changed to Ask, and that exclusions can be made, but expecting novice users and family members to do this is not good. Maybe it could check the digital signature, so apps by reputable companies don't yield false positives? I mean if Steam games, KeePass, etc. are being flagged, something should be changed.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You're not expecting them to use exclusions later but you expect them to MAKE A DECISION about a thing they know nothing about? Double standards much?
    I mean, if you're not sure at first it's just better to run it in sandbox anyway. It's always better to make a harmless false positive than a complete miss of an actual malware. Auto Sandboxing will in 99% of cases fall into the first category. The program just won't work properly or it will close before actually running. No harm done really. You can always fix it later without any consequences. But if actual malware doesn't get sandboxed in the first place automatically, then i wish you good luck fixing the issue. Things get much more complicated if credit card data is stolen, you can't clean that. So it's just better to sandbox something by mistake than let something past because you feel like you don't want to be annoyed a bit. Steam games are an issue sometimes (just Flash based games, haven't seen any other get sandboxed). But it's far from what it was during avast! 7 beta test where many things got sandboxed. It's far better now.

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I have a quick question. With the new version of Avast, on the front of the gui, it states that I am not connected with any avast! account.

What is the point of this? What does it do for me? I get updates and everything works flawlessly, so what is this functionality used for? Do I actually need it?

Thanks,

Jim

15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

If you have multiple computers using avast you can manage them via a web console with your Avast account.

16. 06Dolphin_Spirit

06Dolphin_Spirit Registered Member

It'd be great if the good people here could help me with a couple of questions I have.

I'm trying to understand what the benefit of the Avast account is for a home user with a single computer which he doesn't ever access remotely (my case).
    I've searched the Avast forum and I've read through this thread here and the only sort of informative stuff I've found is in this thread (post by Tech) and this one (post by Charyb).
    According to it, I really don't see what the Avast account offers from a user perspective in my case.
    Any info or informative links will be greatly appreciated.

Also, in this thread here, Vik stated:
    Does this also apply for renewing your license if you haven't updated to v.7 from v.6 (case of a friend of mine)?

And one last question, if you have a valid license (another 7 months), will updating to version 7 ask you to create an Avast account (case of another friend of mine)?

My question

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  17. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Hello... I'm Tech.
    Indeed, if you have only one machine (PC) you can control it locally.
    But you need an account to register avast! free.
    In a near future, it will be added the Mobile devices. Do you have an Android phone?

Well... I did not try this, but if the license is valid and avast! accept it, it won't be necessary until its expiration.

18. 06Dolphin_Spirit

Hello Tech,

I was afraid that I miss/ don't get something about the account, so thanks for the reply.
    No and I don't plan on getting one either which makes the concept of the account even more pointless for people in my situation. Anyway.

As for updating to v.7 with a valid license, it seems to be the case you described. My friend updated through the GUI and was not asked for any additional steps, so everything's ok.

Do you (or anyone else) know how it works if you need to renew your license while you're still using avast! v.6? Will you be asked to create an account? My friend keeps asking me about it, but I couldn't find any relative info and I don't know what to tell him.

Thanks again.

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you share what your friend's concern is regarding creating an account? Since at least v4 Avast has asked for an email address to register and get the license. Creating an account just means adding a name to the address.

20. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

06Dolphin_Spirit: FWIW, I recently read of someone renewing their avast 6 license without having to create an account. Can't remember what forum that was in though.

21. 06Dolphin_Spirit

It's not a specific concern about the account, thing is he's a minor (he's actually more like a little brother than a friend) and on a very short leash regarding Internet use, so he would have to ask his (over protecting and not so easy going) parents for permission which in turn would raise all sorts of questions, so he'd rather avoid it, at least for now.
    Thank you, that sounds promising, guess we'll have to give it a go and see if it works out.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

22. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Well there is a way for avast to further its datamining goals... encourage parents to link to their account their children's instances of avast. Make all the web rep, file rep, etc data sent to avast viewable under that account, so the parents can monitor the websites and files used by their children. The sheeple would love it!

23. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I restored a clean CTM snapshot and installed Avast.When i try to connect with my Avast account,it says service unavailable and to try again later.I hope it's just temporarily...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  24. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Manage them how?

25. Technical

Technical Registered Member

In this context, manage is "get information of them".
    When the mobile platform is out, you will be able to trace/block/format... whatever the mobile device if it is stolen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.