avast! 7.0 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just ask yourself, who will you ask when MSE goes wrong? With avast! you can at least contact someone. When i had problems with Microsoft products i gave up because i couldn't find anyone to contact about the problem...

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Similar with me...except ,i found it much slower to boot my pc and slower surfing than with nis.Wont stop me trying it (and others) in the future though :eek:

3. ellison64

If i were paying for an av i probably would take that into consideration.If it were a freebie though id just rely on various forums ,or just uninstall it and use a different product.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, agree completely. If I install something and it gives me grief, it's gone. Just move on and find something else that suits you better...

5. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

LOL @ "rant". It took a week or two to sort through this mess. The so-called "rants" to which you refer are posts providing information from end users to other end users, since the information coming from Avast itself was sorely lacking. (i.e. look at the poster in this very thread who is so in denial he pretends to not even understand that the last STABLE version of a program that now is so riddled with bugs it can't even be used without uninstalling it and installing a beta version that can't even be installed through the company's own update feature) is OBVIOUSLY the PREVIOUS, not the CURRENT version. So the "rants" as you call them serve several purposes -- they serve as information exchange (you know...the whole PURPOSE of message boards), they serve as warnings to other users who are not getting the necessary information from the company itself, especially in light of the never-ending stream of BS that seems to pour out of the fanboys and Avast shills, and they serve as an opportunity to vent frustration about a company and its minions that are screwing people over.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  6. skbaltimore

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/start-mse1

7. skbaltimore

The part you're leaving out of your argument is that there are just as likely thousands of people whose lives are not obsessed with a/v programs who never even make it to sites like this to post about problems. They call their friends, or take their computers in to some place like Best Buy to get them fixed. The fact that so many people are posting about the v 7 release is shocking, not normal.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And you know it's "shocking" and "not normal" by what measures? Are you some kind of an statistical expert? With a good background knowledge of avast! ?
    What's so shocking about it? Really. Users had some problems. it happened with v6, it happened with v5, it happened with v4.8 and it as well did with 4.6 and 4.5 and 4.1. And i'm pretty sure there were also with 4.0 when i came across avast! for the first time. SHould i start explaining what kind of problems i had with AVG during 2011 release? And bugs they never even bothered to acknowledge and fix. It got fixed with 2012 because they changed the entire interface. Calling a bad support... And you complain of bugs that will get fixed very soon, that being 2 weeks period of time i can say is pretty good response time. Obviously you think you can just somehow magically fix problems. You have to get in contact with users, gather information, memory dumps, reproduction steps and then locate the issue and fix it. Then you have to test it, release a beta for users with this problem so they can confirm if it works. Then you release it to the masses. Obviously you don't want another half baked update, but you apparently still press on about the speed of fixes. Things just aren't as easy as you imagine them to be.

9. skbaltimore

Same here with MSE -- although for me, it's the first time I've ever used the product. (The notion of MS and security just never made much sense. But then I looked into MSE further with a more open mind and saw some pretty decent reviews. And in fact, seeing MSE come up from several posters in the Avast threads is part of what lead me to check out that program in more detail.)

I've run extensive full system scans and this laptop is clean as a whistle. And I went over to GRC and got STEALTH all across the board.

And I make lots of Paragon full system and differential system backups on top of all of that. So I'm now a very happy camper, who can use the computer for what it's intended for, instead of wasting days at a time trying to get the a/v program to work. (Do I care that I don't have 8 pages of configurations, or little pictures to look at to tell me what my a/v program is doing? No, I really don't. Just let it do what it does, and let me move on to more important and enjoyable things, like searching for por...I mean, cures for cancer, and stuff like that.) :cool:

10. skbaltimore

I don't know how to put this diplomatically...but in your meager attempts to keep defending your product, you're really doing yourself, and anyone you're tying to convince, a major disservice.

11. ellison64

Im sorry but your posts are beginning to sound like the spurned lover .If you like avast that much then become a future beta tester ,or send your bugs,concerns etc to avast support.Even tell other posters how frustrated you are with the product,,,however is it really nessecary to keep going on about it?.Why dont you just uninstall it and be done?..if you paid for it then ask for a refund ,if your using the free then be grateful or uninstall it.By the way ,i never had those problems that you mention ,so its not a problem for everyone or the universal problem ,that you seem to think it is.If you want to vent at what you call fanboys or avast users that havent had any problems ,just because you have, then go ahead but i tend to think you would be wasting your time.

12. skbaltimore

And you sound like the typical shill. So we'll just leave it at that.

13. ellison64

Well at least your consistent...victek tries to help you and you rudely reply to him,i dont want to help you at all and you rudley reply to me.well done :cautious:

14. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Those of us who had a bad experience with Version 7 will bitch about it - those of us who didn't a have bad experience will defend it....that's life. No reason to take it personal either way!

15. carat

carat Guest

I second that! :) Now we can close this thread and hope that Avast will fix all the bugs soon ...

16. skbaltimore

Why would you want to close the thread when the problems persist? The subject of this thread is: avast! 7 released. However, avast themselves are recommending uninstalling avast 7, and using their beta version, and waiting until the next avast 7 is officially released. So until it's fixed, this isn't a closed topic at all.

17. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Good point! And for those that don't like Avast or any other specific security program, remove it and try another...and don't hang around that forum trying to stir the pot. There are lots of options!

18. skbaltimore

The difference between voicing criticisms, providing helpful alternative information, and stirring the pot ultimately boils down to intent. (Just like some apparent "helpful" posts are, in fact, nothing more than subtle (or not so subtle), arrogant attacks.) That's simply the nature of Internet bulletin boards. As is a board's TOS. As long as any post is relevant to the subject heading, and falls within the stated TOS, it's legitimate. (Whether it's helpful or not is another matter entirely.)

And yes...there ARE lots of alternative options.

19. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

In my case, I purchased Avast IS 6. It upgraded to 7. I had problems and posted them here and at the Avast forums. I didn't have a mini dump file because there was none. It was a memory dump.

I tried clean install and Avast worked well for a couple of days, and then the bsod thing began again. I then began searching and discovered that the bsod event was a problem that has been going on for a couple of versions.

So, I removed Avast and wrote off the $40 bucks as a learning experience and moved on. Angry? More annoyed than angry. I've still got 11 months left on the license.

What annoyed me most was posting a problem and, for all intents and purposes, being attacked for saying that there is a long standing problem. I read the same kind of 'attacking the messenger' attitude on the Comodo forums. I didn't think I'd see it with Avast.

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well it's not like RejZoR hasn't had his own criticisms of Avast from time to time when warranted. But I see your expanding your vocabulary nicely. So far we have fanboy, shill, minion and evangelist. Your doing great.

21. skbaltimore

^^^^This.

(And as if that's not bad enough...the people doing the attacking or the stonewalling then turn around and whine when they're called out for doing it. Those types of people really ought to consider something other than posting on help forum message boards. It's clearly not their cup of tea.)

I'd been using Avast for almost 3 years, with only one problem -- when Avast 6 (or 5, I don't remember) started targeting/deleting everything it could get its hands on. I learned from that to set up all the preferences to "Ask" first, then put things in quarantine. It wasn't until the botched "upgrade" to v. 7 that I began searching to see if anyone else was running into problems. And it was obvious that plenty of people were, in fact, running into problems. And then the stonewalling of those problems, and the refusal to provide easy links to v 6 is what has led to this current situation, along with outright attacks against people reporting the problems. If talking about that situation honestly is "stirring the pot", then so be it. Decent posters who'd run into problems with the current release were NOT getting the help they wanted from Avast or its minions of evangelists, and that's what's caused all of this in the first place, and that's what is perpetuating it.

22. The Hammer

But now your very happy with MSE and have informed the so called fanboys and shills of such and have moved on, or have you?

23. skbaltimore

So far, no problems at all with my current A/V. Thanks for asking.

24. The Hammer

Glad to hear it. MSE is a fine program.

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Great! Good luck with it. Now there's no reason for you to continue about Avast in this thread right? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.