avast! 7.0 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You misunderstand me. I'm not defending them all. I'm asking for facts and playing "devils advocate" because I feel these are important questions that deserve definitive answers. At the moment you know more about it than I do which is why I've been asking you. Like you I will not use their products if I come to believe that they're collecting data for purposes other than making the software more effective. I will have a look in their forum...

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I had a lot of blue screens starting with v6 and continuing with 7, but only with win media player. They seem to have cleared up now, with the latest program update. I've got my fingers crossed.

As for Avast's account thing. I don't have one and won't. I gather it's a place to put the version info, computer info and other information they shouldn't need. They already know what version I have. I bought Internet Security from them.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I imagine that the whole account thing is for email marketing purposes. And while it's not a big group everyone that I know that are running Avast 7 is doing so without incident.

4. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

I was actually referring to your previous post in which you seemed more than willing to accept that this was somehow normal for an update. And what I was trying to explain to you is that it's far from normal (how often does a new version come out and a week later a beta/fix is being pushed because the transition was such a disaster? Heck...even MS doesn't screw things up that badly. So anyone trying to downplay what's been going on, and/or peddling the notion that this is just a normal program upgrade like any other program upgrade, rather than a classic example of something that was rushed to the public way too soon, is mistaken.)

And the other points had to do with how the mess was being (mis)handled by Avast, along with some serious questions about how this particular versionis different in several aspects than any previous version. It's very involved, especially the Chrome opt-out business. Apparently, it didn't just try to install itself the way those tool bars we're used to seeing when installing some programs try to do. This thing installed itself at a deeper level, and screwed up people's installations who already had Chrome installed. And that then yet another mess to have to clean up.

So from start to finish, this thing goes beyond anything I've ever encountered with any software I've ever used. And in a way it's a blessing, because I wouldn't begin to put my trust into this company ever again.

5. skbaltimore

Here's a post (and the link) from someone who says it all, as far as I'm concerned. (In fact, I made one of my previous posts based upon this particular post, but then couldn't find it at the time I made my post here. I've since found it, and would like to re-post it here because it's very metered and fair.)

"oklajohn, don't feel badly. I lost 11 months of paid subscription. And don't tell me all new versions have problems. I had one problem with version 6 and that was the suggestion to delete a suspicious file. It was a hard lesson, since it messed up my computer, but somehow Windows 7 managed to give me an option that rolled it back and I learned to never delete a file without checking first. Version 7 put a file I needed to install a new program, into it's "lock box (or whatever you call it)." And there was no way that I could see (because I am limited technically) to tell avast to leave that file alone. So I had to completely, one by one, disable everything to install the program. For me, version 7 was a complete mess. That was just one of a bombardment of pop ups and problems.

Whoever said that it was "fun" trying to figure out how to find work arounds and get it running correctly, forgets that a lot of users are interested in other things, like running Photoshop and related programs, and other software. They are, like me, technically challenged, and don't want to spend hours trying to figure out how to make something work. We want to spend those hours using our computer.

In the past, I kept my working computer off line and surfed with a laptop. So many programs need the internet now to activate/update etc. that's become almost impossible.

I always wait with other software before updating, and have never had a problem like this new Avast has caused me. I know that it takes time for the bugs to be worked out. But with an antivirus program it seemed important to update.

I suspect there are a lot of silent users out there, many paying clients like me, who have just gotten rid of avast and are trying other programs now. Basically I stay loyal to companies, realizing that all will not be perfect. But this version was so different and so horrible that I am left with a bad taste concerning avast software.

If there was an option to roll back, or a place on the site to download the last working version, it would have gone a long way to keep me and likely others as clients."
    -- sleepdeprived, post #40, 3/2/12, 01:50:24 PM

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94696.30;topicseen

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I think the problem is one of "dual use". Information that is collected might be useful for X but if it is collected then Y becomes possible. If Y is something that you cannot reliably prevent, the decision to share information must in part be based on the risks/rewards and related probabilities of Y actually happening.

I've seen mention of a number of avast account related features:

1) If you link your avast program instances to your account, your will be able to remotely identify your instances and monitor some of what those instances report to avast (health, statistics, ...).

2) If you link your avast program instances to your account, you will be able to remotely configure your instances. This hasn't been rolled out yet I read.

I suspect, but do not know for a fact, that the objective is to allow someone to have one avast account and via that account perform the above functions as well as also make purchases, renew licenses, etc. So perhaps it might come to pass that personally identifiable information is linked to said account.

Lets lump those into the "dual use" X scenario. What might Y be? Here are a few of my thoughts:

1) Email address could be used for marketing of additional products and services. Could be shared with other parties who in turn use it for whatever.
    2) May cause avast instances to report additional information to avast, at least if your instances have the community and reputation services disabled
    3) Allows avast and anyone who can get into that account to view reported information, remotely reconfigure your instances, etc.
    4) Avast and anyone who can gain access to their systems learns what computers and other supported devices you use or at least have access to. By extension it may be possible to correlate not only the machines you use but also all the WebRep (URL info), FileRep (file info), and community (not even sure all what that includes) data those machines send to avast.

IOW, the Y possibilities seem awesome. Is there a way to allow the X's but reliably prevent the Y's?

On an uplifting note, it wasn't long ago that I read of some advance in the field of technology where someone claimed to have optically (I think) performed calculations on data in a way which prevents the performer from being able to know what the data is (something supposedly resembling a truly anonymous calculation). I didn't read more about it. Perhaps, one day...

7. skbaltimore

Excellent analogy. It's like two sides of the same coin -- impossible to really separate the two. Or it's like splitting the atom to release energy. That released energy can be used for good purposes, or for bad purposes. Unfortunately, given the scope of human nature that's been revealed over the past few 1,000 years, there's never any good without the bad. As far as I'm concerned, the only way I'm going to allow any changes in something that's already been working is if there's a definite, distinct advantage/purpose. And I've yet to be able to find that in the new version of Avast. What I DID find was a lot of arrogant, PR spinning apologists who are intent on forcing this "new and improved" program onto users under the guise of "New Is Better"! Sorry...I'm not pickin up what they're layin down.

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding this specific issue of Chrome installing at a "deeper level" etc, can you link to a discussion in the Avast forum? I looked around and couldn't find one.

9. skbaltimore

It's so crazy over there, it's honestly hard to keep track of all the different discussions. From what I gathered, people were talking about how Avast install was using the Admin privileges during the install to over ride previous installations (vs a limited user account). To be honest, a lot of it went over my head, but the discussions are there. Try using the search option and see if that helps. (search for chrome install, and see if it doesn't lead you to the threads I'm talking about) At this point, I'm so done with that program, I don't have the energy to invest to go back and pour through all the problems again.

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Well, avast is gone from this computer. And, so is XP pro. I got another blue screen and that was the end. Uninstalled avast, using their uninstall tool btw, and I don't know what happened, it totally trashed xp.

I couldn't get into safe mode, so finally grabbed a Win Vista cd and am now running with Vista, Microsoft Security Essentials and Sandboxie and trying to find all the sites I had bookmarked. Avast forums won't be one of them.

Tomorrow, I've got a bunch of software to re-install. I'll chalk up the $40 bucks lost as a learning experience.

Additionally, I'm wondering why Vista isn't asking me to register, unless it's because it was a Dell CD going on a Dell computer. Different computer though.

11. carat

carat Guest

It seems that the people go nuts with avast 7.0 ... :doubt:

12. skbaltimore

More like Avast 7.0 went nuts with people's computers. I never had a beef with Avast before this, except a year ago when one of their updates started yanking everything it touched into the hopper. But they fixed it within 24 hours, and that was fine. This, however, is a totally different story. They can't even do the damage control fast enough to cover the emerging problems and issues. I'm sure eventually they'll get it straightened out -- at least as far as their program is concerned. But what this revealed about their integrity is...well...it is what it is. They turned a bad situation into an Emperor's New Clothes circle jerk, and that was just too far over the line for me. It'll be interesting to see where they are a year or two down the line.

13. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

I read one of your posts where you said that you got "Avast a week or so ago". In case you didn't know, it states on their website that "All orders come with unconditional, 30-day money-back guarantee". Might want to hold them to it.;)

14. skbaltimore

Meanwhile, over at the Avast forum, they're still spinning it as if this were just a normal shake out after a new version is introduced.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And you're spinning it look like that's not the case? It IS normal and pretty much every program update spawned a certain number of very limited situation problems. With so many users, so many hardware and software configurations, it's normal to have problems like this.

New update that addresses these issues is already in the works and will be released shortly.

16. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

I'm in the same boat. 13 out of 13 problem-free 6.0.1367 to 7.0.1407 updates from UI.

I doubt that'd be worth the effort. They already got my email address from the program registration.

17. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi all

avast! AV Beta-Version [7.0.1414]

Feel free to download it here
    -http://files.avast.com/files/avast7r2beta/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
    -http://files.avast.com/files/avast7r2beta/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
    -http://files.avast.com/files/avast7r2beta/avast_internet_security_setup.exe

Fixed issues (from 7.0.1407)- Autosandbox BSODs
    - Too much activity of File System Shield
    - UI crashes
    - Show Installation Completed window just once
    - Problem with not running Mail shield
    - Incorrect marking emails as a SPAM
    - Slowdown of system after fresh installation
    - UPDATE: Improved stability of Outlook plugins
    - UPDATE: Improved localizations
    - And some security & user improvements

Again, thank you for your feedback about version 7.0.1407 and sorry for any inconvenience with that version.

How to install it
    Just run the setup executable (links above). This version can be installed on top of your existing avast installation (7.x, 6.x).

Known issues
    - incompatible with Win 8 Consumer Preview(will be fixed soon

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.0

18. skbaltimore

Yeah...you keep telling yourself -- and anyone else who's gullible enough to believe you -- that. I'm not "spinning" anything; that's your department.

19. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

It's not a VERY LIMITED number of problems and it's not NORMAL to beta test a product for two weeks then release it to the general public.

However it is normal for Avast fan boys and avast forum mods to deny anything is wrong.

20. skbaltimore

BINGO! It boggles the mind how far these people will go in playing the "Emperor's New Clothes" game. But hey...it's so obvious that that's the way they do business, it made the decision to get rid of their program one of the easier ones in my life. :cool:

I'm a realist, and I think I'm as fair as the next guy when it comes to understanding that there are going to be certain problems in any new release, and for that matter, in any program period. But this goes so far beyond that, and Avast's response -- not in terms of coming out with almost daily band-aid fixes but in terms of refusing to even offer links to the previous working release and their sheer total denial -- goes beyond anything I've ever seen, even from MS. And to try to turn around THEIR spin tactics onto end users who were victimized by their incompetence really says what they're all about. End users who've had their machines trashed aren't spinning anything, and to even suggest that is ludicrous.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Haha, you're calling me fanboy. That's a new one. If i run support for free version users (local support), that doesn't (by a long shot) mean i'm a fanboy. If something is bothering me, i tell that to avast! team. If you don't read about it, that doesn't mean i don't complain. Maybe i was a fanboy the first year or two after i found avast!, but later found out just praising it won't get us anywhere. I'm not sure what'd i'd achieve anywhere by bashing avast! here on WIlders or anywhere else? Nothing. If i need to complain i complain to the avast! staff.

And if you think it was tested just for 2 weeks then you seriously have no clue and no right to blame anyone for anything because of that. Public beta test was for 2 weeks. Before that there was internal 2 week beta test among few of us regular helpers. And even before we got the internal "public" beta, they were testing it for ages.

You clearly don't understand how things work. avast! is one of the widely used AV's here on Wilders. It's obviously the most used on avast! Forums.
    How many times did you went and write a positive thing about any thing or product? Rarely. But if you have a problem you'll immediately went there and complain. That's why you see a raise of complaints on program updates. You think AVG or AVIRA are any different? If you look at their forums after releases, exactly the same thing. And it's the same for every single program ever released. There is just no way (not even a theoretical one) to make a flawless program with so many software configurations and combinations.

You make internal private tests, then you make internal public tests, then you make public tests and after that you release a final stage product. After you do that, usually a smaller update is soon issued to address remaining issues found on larger userbase scale. That's how pretty much every product release cycle goes.

22. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

:thumb: :thumb:
    Even though i agree with u i doubt avast haters will stop complaining :isay: :cautious:

23. skbaltimore

Look...I would hope that everyone here understands that when you're talking about millions of end users around the world, with varying degrees of computer sophistication and knowledge, running who knows how many configurations (i.e. I saw one post that read something like: "I have Avast, AVG, MSE, and Kaspersky on my system, and there appears to be a conflict..." Duh!!) there are going to be problems -- no one is disagreeing with that. However, you seem to be unwilling to acknowledge that in THIS instance, the problems that have resulted simply go beyond normal parameters. I certainly don't remember this happening when v 5 went to v 6, for example. So all I was expecting was a response from the company that included an acknowledgment that this was a different situation, along with the offering up of the most simple of solutions until the problems were completely corrected: a link to the previous stable working version. When that didn't happen, I got angry, and began looking a lot harder at the Avast product and the Avast support system. With things as deeply integrated as A/V software, the support system and the responses from the support group are as important, if not more important, than the product itself. And in that regard, IMO, Avast fell way too short of the mark.

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry, but if you haven't seen such problems in v5, that doesn't mean there weren't any. I was there and i sure can tell you that there were the same problems for v6 and v5. Well, not the exactly same, otherwise we'd be fighting windmills, but similar on the scale of problem severity. And they were usually resolved in the small update soon after the release of FINAL versions.
    And one such update is being cooked as we speak.

25. skbaltimore

Have a nice day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.