Avast 5 RELEASED

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fajo, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Why don't you just disable the Web Shield for the time being until they fine tune v5, rather than jump back and forth?:)

2. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

WebScannner:
    Protection against incoming attacks from visited web sites and scanning of downloaded files.
    Link Scanner:
    LinkScanner® lets you know if the webpage you are visiting is safe before you even get there.
    * Scans the pages behind all the links you click or type into your browser.
    * Scans the results of web searches in Google, Yahoo! and MSN so you know whether a page is safe before clicking on it.
    * Uses the intelligence gathered by a global community of online threat detectors.
    * Analyzes individual pages rather than entire sites because single pages may be threatened.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have but for people like my wife etc thats not really the safest solution imo

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm using avast! 5 on 3 different configs based on age, performance and type, ranging from netbook, laptop and high end PC, powered by Windows XP, Vista and Win7. No problems on any of the systems. Sometimes i wonder what kind of condition are computers that ppl use. Most fo them are badly trashed and that's why perfectly good products cause awful problems on such systems.

5. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Might be that, BUT I installed Avast! Pro 5.x on my laptop. Freshly installed W7 64-Bit Ultimate. No third party firewall. There is something wrong under the hood (Avast!).

I get full speed with KAV/KIS 2010, NIS 2010, FSAV 2010, G Data 2010 AV and so on. Just an observation...:isay:

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Agree with you.
    I also use Avast 5.0 on my Computer and I experience slow down. Yet if I install Avira, (I have a valid licence) no slowdown at all. I think that Avast may possibly have problems with some hardware configuration or maybe conflict with other Software.o_O

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

First of all you have no idea what hardware configurations all the users that have complained here about slowdowns have. I have too the slowdowns and I'm 100% sure it's not a hardware configuration or lack of power. It's for sure an Avast issue. Maybe Avast + browser combination but for sure are not my PCs. I wonder why you had to say that since you have no data to base it on. In any case nobody here said Avast is a bad product. We said that the new version 5 has still some issues. I bought Avast IS for the first time a few days back and I could be heavily disappointed by the slowdowns while surfing but I'm not really. I know this is a valid product and I have the patience to wait till this version becomes more mature.

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Is there any need to set the web scanner to scan all files? ,as it does mention that this will slow down browsing.Unfortunatley there doesnt seem to be a built extension list to use as an alternative ,so a user would have to put them in manually, and personally i wouldnt know what to put in there.
    ellison

9. progress

progress Guest

Maybe you should deinstall the Web shield? I think it's not really necessary ... :doubt:

10. Technic

Technic Registered Member

I think many users would like to have webshield enabled. Avast! is crippled security software without it.

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

linkscanner really just gives u site ratings and exploit prevention (which i question) while the webshield actually scans all the content with the AV signatures and heur etc.

12. progress

progress Guest

I think so too, however - a file should be scanned by the avast file shield after downloading as well ... So there is no need for web shield even if many users love the web shield :)

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

all fresh windows 7 installs here also

14. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Crippled security software? Why do you think that?

Avast! will scan the download with the file shield anyway.
    Http scanners are good to detect exploits , but in my opinion keep software and OS updated and patched , use HIPS or a sandbox are a much better approach.

To me Norton's approach against drive-by is a more elegant and efficient solution.

Take a look : Is http scanning (WebGuard) necessary?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1072686&postcount=7

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm running Avast 5 free on XP. When I do a speed test with Web Shield enabled, my test speeds are slightly slower than when Web Shield is disabled. It's so slight though, I really can't tell the difference when doing normal browsing with Web Shield enabled or disabled. That's with Firefox or IE.

16. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

On the machine I'm using avast on I actually notice a pretty big decrease. My download speed goes from 350kb/s to 250kb/s.

Oh well, that's only a spare machine anyway.

17. ObsidianX

ObsidianX Registered Member

I was getting a slowdown with the latest version of Avast 5 too ... some sites that were heavy with thumbnails were really slow. I unchecked "Scan web (HTTP) traffic" on the Web Shield and speeds were back to normal.

Speedtest.net showed a loss of nearly 1MBPS and 4ms ping with that box checked.

Windows 7 64 Bit here. Interestingly, I dumped Nod32 after I was having a similar (but much more extreme) issue with ping times. That issue had something to do with Comodo Firewall not playing nice.

Hopefully Avast fixes the speed issue soon.

18. progress

progress Guest

That's a lot, let's hope avast can fix this issue soon ... :rolleyes:

19. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

Win 7 64 and AT&T internet 6 meg. Speedtest.net shows download 5.95, up is 0.95 and ping 26ms with Avast 5 Home all shields active. Webshield off download 5.96, up .96 and ping 26ms. So on my system is not enough to cause any concern.

20. progress

progress Guest

The avast scan indicator is at 100 % after 3 min but the full scan takes 30 min - what the hell ... o_O

21. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

22. progress

progress Guest

Thank you :doubt:

23. robinb

robinb Registered Member

funny the bar on mine goes to 100% on a quick scan but it is still scanning until it is finished
    it must just be a bug

robin

24. robinb

robinb Registered Member

seems this has been fixed after this latest update

The scan bar is performing as it should , after the update : 100406-0 . I just did a test on a quick scan and all is well now

robin

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's indeed fixed. And scan also feels much faster. Or it's just me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.