Avast 5 RELEASED

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fajo, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I tried using the Avast screen saver, and rather than run one full scan, it seems like it just runs quick scans over and over. I was in the other room and ever few minutes I would hear the voice tell me the scan was done, but then it would just restart. Is that normal behavior?

2. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

PCMAG has done a review of avast IS. http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,4829,00.asp

Nice to see it gets good feedback in general. I also like that the firewall has is strong. Unlike some other german security vendores suites that has strong antivirus component and a weak firewall!

I use AVIS on a W7-64 bit laptop and I am really happy with it! It is so light. Dont notice it is here.

3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Here's another:
    I agree! :)

http://www.virusbtn.com/files/Avast-Jan2010.pdf

4. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

expensive as a devil....Vesselin is disappeared....:D

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just updated to v5.0.396 final release, and it installed really well. It is running well also. :D

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Same here. Got a popup today that a new program update was available.

7. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

installed it as well, so far so good we'll see...

8. progress

progress Guest

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

so who is running the suite? how do you like the firewall? im just not sure its worth it for the price for me right now when i have a sub to nortons already even though i really like the new version of avast a lot..

10. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

I am running the suite in my 2 laptops. I like the firewall very much. You can in someway compare it to NIS. It is just as quiet. Extremly light! Almost the same as NIS. The interface is double as nice as NIS.

How the AV is compared to other products is not up to me to judge.

I`ll give it a 9/10. Same for NIS and KIS

11. noway

noway Registered Member

Are you allowed to post up a link to the d/l page with version number listed?

If so, please do. Earlier when 396 was talked about I went to Avast web site and the download redirected me to version 377. I'm not going to jump thru hoops to find it...

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html

13. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

how to integrate Avast 5 into download manager (IDM) ??

14. zfactor

it will update to 396 if you do a manual program update

15. zfactor

okay so this is weird i formated the drive that avast was installed on and did a fresh win 7 install then reinstalled the trial version i got the other day. and somehow it still know how much time is left? are the downloads date stamped or something? otherwise how do they know its on this machine? especially behind my router?

so far the only real thing im missing about it are the backround scans nortons did. with avast i have to schedule a scan for a set time and my system may not always be turned on at that time. with nortons it does it anytime the system is idle. other than that and the cloud features from nis2010 i like avast a lot so far

16. HJO

HJO Guest

I'm lovin' it. :)

17. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

You can configure avast to run when you screen saver is running - it's almost the same thing like idle scan. You need to go to options->check 'show special tasks.....' - then under scan you will be able to configure screen saver scan. Then you need only i windows set the same screen-saver as you set in avast and will be fine...

Regards
    y.

18. Siro

Siro Registered Member

I just installed it on my netbook i.e the Compaq Mini 110c and I was wondering how to go about configuring Avast so it uses the minimalist of resources on it? Any help will be highly welcomed since it is the first time I am using Avast ever!

19. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

20. zfactor

hmm i wonder if that will work the way i want it ill try it. as i said before though i dont normally usea screen saver i just have the screen go off.

21. progress

progress Guest

22. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Avast did really well quite frankly, although the guy doing the video isn't all that bright IMO.

Even with the BSOD on the one link, it blocked pretty much everything thrown at it. If you watch the MSE video, it was awful in comparison.

For a free, just released AV, very, very solid.

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Nope but Avast was the 'winner' of a contest, ahem serious contest of sorts ? :argh: :argh: :argh:

NB Avira got dismantled by one of the roques he tested

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

AVIRA was facepalmed badly there.

25. zfactor

really not crazy about this firewall i have to say its a very good okay basic setup but the norton firewall is WAY more configurable than this. i love that nortons allows me to select things like igmp etc... no settings like that with avast.

though it does a better job out of the box in auto mode than norton does. i dont use either that way though. but yeah the norton firewall is WAY better imo and much more configurable if you dig a bit deeper into nis2010, avast can make basic rules and has simple allow deny functions but i dont see much more. im bordering on buying the suite though the firewall would serve my needs i guess but id rather a better one.

my issue with most firewalls is the wife and daughter. i hate to say it like that but they will only use a firewall in auto mode or if i have already set it up for all he programs on the system otherwise they cant be bothered and simply say yes to everything since a while back i was away and the wife locked herself out on the internet with kaspersky. as soon as i got back (i was in japan visiting some freinds) she insisted i remove kaspersky right now. lol...she HATES hips. i cant give her a setups with hips or anything that bothers her or ill find it removed or the computer in the garbage.

im seriously considering this, im also in the market to see what else is out there but i dont think i have ever used anything so lightweight like this. its really that good resource wise. im torn...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.