Avast! 5 beta 1

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Az7, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

In avast! 5, no, you don't benefit anything. Behavior Shield is now responsible for the feature that was useful in Internet Mail (in avast! 4.:cool:.

uTorrent is known to cause problems with avast! in some situations due to nature of how it works. You can try enabling it and if you don't encounter any problems, keep it enabled.

I've never even noticed this until now. It's meant as "Updating" in general.
    Maybe "Update Center" would sound better...

This is only debug log. It will not be created there in final version of avast! 5.

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

@"Update Center": Not IMO :D - it's no "center" or something, but the reason I suggested what I did; "Update", is because you go to that sub-menu to do just that; update! "Updating" is not the right form.

@µtorrent: Okay, but I'll still be protected by the other shields, correct? I mean, they're indeed meant to make a layered defense, and in this case it shouldn't be too serious. (?)

@Mail Shield: So in other words, since I indeed use GMail for my mailing-activities, I can safely don't install this shield the next time I install avast!?

Thank you

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi there, Raven, though I'm not using the beta at the moment, I believe I can answer these.

1. It's pretty likely the "Updating" terminology was nothing more than an oversight. It may look weird, but honestly as long as it works and works well, they could call it "Purple People-Eater", could they not?
    :D

2. As far as uTorrent goes, it's been unchecked in 4.8 for a long time due to the reason already given. I don't consider it a big deal really, if the shield tags the file as a problem mid-download, Avast is still going to pick it up after the download is complete too. Remember, the malicious file has to execute before it can do harm, so as long as it is picked up before you actually use the file, you're in the clear. Your "Standard Shield" is still watching your back.

3. As was stated before, Mail Shield is useless unless using Outlook, Thunderbird or the like. Gmail has it's own virus scanner, so, if you trust theirs, imho, you could even do away with the Internet Mail Shield (if it is still in the beta as it is in the current version).

4. raven211

The impression is very important - grammar plays a big role here, and I happen to have grammar as one of my specialties as a tester, and not just the technical stuff. :) To be honest, I can see how they're thinking, putting "Updating" there in the first place - but putting it into context it's not correct, that's it.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well its a czech based company so i dont think English is the native language of all the devs so that might be why.

6. raven211

Yes, and I respect that - I'm only here to help improving the software, and learn more about it myself. FYI I'm from Sweden, so it's not my native language either. :D

7. i_g

i_g Registered Member

The texts are checked by a native speaker.
    However, this particular menu hasn't made it into the ordinary (checked) resources yet, it's hardcoded somewhere... so that's why ;)

8. raven211

I see - thank you for the information, appreciate it. ;)

9. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

................and it's not "center" it's "centre" :D :D :D

10. raven211

... and yet it's never used - I wonder why? :rolleyes:

11. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

before you guys get petty over spelling, me being an english speaking englishman, i am used to the american spellings being used, how many times have i had a fight with a spellchecker because I AM RIGHT, I AM IN ENGLAND NOT USA!!! you get used to seeing "wrong" spellings.
    but what confuses me is, how does a mainland european spell things? the english english way or the american english way? (IMO it started in england so it should be like that)

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I just installed Avast 5 beta today.
    The only question that I have right now is;
    Is there a benefit to using the Mail Shield for Outlook Express?

** Posting at beta forum currently.

I like this early beta so far.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  13. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Are they going to be using their own firewall in the suite version or use anothers engine?

14. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

My Avast beta doesn't update sigs. Is that how this beta is?

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I couldnt get mine to update either.

16. firzen771

its their own FW as far as i know.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

In UK, they use "centre" and in US they use "center". Same for "colour" (UK) and "color" (US). They mean the same thing, but they are just written in a different way. American english and british english. I think Australian english also has it's own "tricks".

I'll report your recommendation to rename that context menu.

18. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

^^ my point exactly, but what confuses me is, which is right? in my country its right, but in america it is wrong, but in the non-native english speakers what is right.

19. firzen771

well here in Canada its the British way as well. we spell Colour and Centre like that.

20. TJP

TJP Registered Member

First, congrats to Avast for releasing version 5.

Not quite right, we Australians predominately are taught and use the Queen's English although we do have our colloquialisms.

There is only the one English language, which is UK spelling & grammar. Everything else is a bastardisation
    (I bet that opens a can of worms :D).

I'd like to see Avast (and everyone else) use the spelling as per the inventors of the English language...

Cheers.

21. Black_N

Black_N Registered Member

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

This MOT (majorly off topic) but,

Bastardisation Vs Bastardization - both come up as valid spellings if you use dictionary.com. It seems that Americanized English has come to dominate the scene simply because of America's political presence in the world. Of course that doesn't make our spelling "correct". In general, as a fairly well educated American, I cringe at the way language is used here. You only have to turn on the TV and listen to the news anchors or sports announcers to understand what I'm referring to.....LOL!

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Worth noting that this video narration is in what I think is Spanish.

24. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Is the program accepting (signature) updates?

Ice

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not yet. We are ironing out the more important things for now. But signatures will follow for sure. Maybe in upcoming beta updates/refreshes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.