Avast 5.1 and 6.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you, I appreciate it. It aint going anywhere. I really like it and for a suite, I dont even know its there. It does what it is suppose to and now Version 6 looks very interesting.

Zfactor, dont worry, bloat is a term Avast will not allowed. There is a marked difference between adding enhancements and adding modules. The same shields can be tweaked to offer more, not more shields to offer more.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i believe in about a month (or that might be the beta for it, cant remember exactly lol)

3. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi,

So if I understand correctly, Avast free will have something similar to the application filtering of KIS?
    It will restrict the rights for files which it considers possibly malicious.

4. firzen771

if i interpreted it correclt yi dont think its a rights restriction, i think its more of a real sandbox (dont take my word for it tho since information is sparse about exactly what theyre going to be doing)

5. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Yeah, sounds pretty similar, except that KIS restricts the application using HIPS and Avast will use a sandbox for the same purpose. And it'll be in the free version as well :thumb:

6. smage

smage Registered Member

Yes to be honest, I got a bit confused with the term sandbox when I learned that Comodo's auto sandbox does not virtualise anything but it restricts malicious behaviour.

Anyway 2 good things I note in Avast case:

(1) The sandbox will be in the free version.
    (2) It will be more intelligent and so will not sandbox everything unknown like Comodo.

Regards

7. carat

carat Guest

That would be awesome :thumb:

8. firzen771

from whats been said so far, the CORE of the sandbox will be in the free version, but the free version wont be getting the full sandbox feature set, im pretty sure this is simply because the new way theyre gunna be adding realtime protection that requires at least the minimum of the sandboxes core functions

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

for whats its worth, it is going to be cool. Avast is getting ready to redifine how things are accomplished, just as Prevx is with version 4. Others better get to work.

10. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

correctly said:thumb:

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yup, future avast! versions will have cloud tech (similar to what Panda Cloud has), file rating with age prevalance (like Norton Insight) and default on sandbox for suspicious applications (similar to what Comodo does, just not so aggressive, will be aided by heuristic and behavior sensors). Everything will not arrive in 5.x, but for avast! 6.0 we can expect all this. Unless they'll come to different conclusions in the meanwhile, like they did for VRDB and Quantum updates...

12. guest

guest Guest

Suddenly the sandboxes are cool and user friendly :D

With all the "noob" users that avast has many of them will have problems with the sandbox, when the heuristics flag wrong some files.
    It's the same than Comodo only that Comodo uses whitelist cloud+local (safest than avast but more prompts) and avast will use heuristics.

Anyway good for avast :thumb: , this will make the noob and average user deal with a sandbox increasing their security and they will also learn a little bit.

It seems that pay for an AV product have almost lost any sense with free products like Comodo or Avast 6, also taking into account that you can complement this with other security free products: Immunet Free, PrevxSOL Free, free on-demand scanners...

Education is more important than have the best security product.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
  13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually it's not exctly the same. Comodo throws everything in sandbox that's not strictly defined as clean. Meaining if they can't keep up with the whitelists there will be problems. What avast! will actually do is not really compromise usability much while it will only add sandbox on top of existing reative and proactive protection. It won't make it have 100% detection but it will raise protection a bit.

14. guest

guest Guest

It's the same that tried to explain but with other words ;)

15. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

16. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Do/will these Anti-V sandboxes get along with Sandboxie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.