Avast! 4.8 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Malcontent, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Well that is a problem with the Web Shield, on "High" Web Shield protection in Avast! 4.7 it reacts right after clicking the link.

4.8 -> too many probs :(

2. osip

osip Registered Member

Okay, if downloading the txt file and renaming it to eicar.com it gets detected. When opening in browser it´s not...probably not a big issue, just wanted to test the web shield...

3. i_g

i_g Registered Member

The text file (eicar.com.txt) is not detected when you open it from disk because text files are not scanned by default. You can add "TXT" into the list of extensions to be scanned "on open" by Standard Shield - and it will be detected, but I'd say it's unnecessary.

Similarly for the WebShield, not-detecting of eicar.com.txt is caused by the default exclusions for WebShield (TEXT/PLAIN mime type). Again, you can remove it from the list of exclusions, if you want even text files to be scanned.

None of these features have changed between 4.7 and 4.8, AFAIK.

4. osip

osip Registered Member

@i_g: OK, thanks for info...I´m new to this app...

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Going to the Eicar web site and testing Avast with this, as soon as I hit save with Opera, Avast poped up with this.

1.png

But that was with Eicar.com file not Eicar.com.txt

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There's no point in scanning plain text files. Browser inteprets them as such and they are completelly harmless because they are well, plain text.

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Older avast! versions had a bug where viruses with their extensions renamed to txt could execute freely without being monitored by the Standard Shield. The good news was Alwil staff responded very promptly, and though I didn't stick along long enough to find out, I assume this has since been fixed.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Anyone?

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

PUSH updates immediately when published and are initialized by the avast server.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Thanks. It seems this is the type I have with my present paid product.

11. ylo0

ylo0 Registered Member

因为有中文

又有免费的家庭版

在中国非常受欢迎

用过半年,只是出现过U盘病毒

然后就抛弃了AVAST

现在用antivirV8(F版)很强大

Because of the Chinese

Has a free version of family

Very popular in China

Spent half a year, there were only U-virus

Then abandoned the AVAST

Now with antivirV8 (F) is very strong

12. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Ok, it's very hard to read and understand what you are writing. There's like no connection.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, I believe the poster was TRYING originally to have us check out their software in another thread, but over the last few posts he/she has gone all over the place. I'm attempting to keep up though, trying to get your message across to people who have no clue of your language and you don't have a clue of theirs can be a real pain.

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I'll have to get my wife to translate post # 136. :D I think the poster is trying to say that they replaced Avast wtih Antivir and possibly something about what people in his country were using previously.

15. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

there is new beta of 4.8 build 1185 as of yesterday , most of all known bugs were fixed ...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34612.0

feel free to test and post Your experience and especially if You encouter ANY problems , thanks

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I did try the beta a short while back, but still encountered what appeared to be some excess ram usage by web shield. I posted at the Avast forum, but nobody seemed to take much interest. Perhaps 30-41mb is standard ram usage for web shield now, I don't know. Just seemed a bit high to me. Otherwise, a perfect product as far as I could see..

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I noticed in the free v. pro versions of Avast that the free lacks a "script blocker". Is this something to be concerned about if a user runs IE7? What exactly does the script blocker block? Is it part of the web shield?

And would a program like Threatfire be a needed supplement if running IE?

thanks

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

ScriptBlocker SEEMS to be an IE version of Noscript. Whether you can choose individual scripts to run I do not know. If it detects and blocks out "Bad" scripts then it's a web scanner/Noscript all in one. I used it for a short time but never got to see it actually work. Also, it does not run on Firefox, and I barely use IE, so the Pro version with Script Blocker just wasn't that much more useful to me than Avasts free version.

19. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

technically the Script part is leftover from older Avast! versions ...
    webshield does now most of it's work ...
    it wasn't changed or updated in major way for long time ...

it's just tiny bonus feature for Pro users but nothing to worry about for Home users ...

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Script Blocker is one of additions but true strenght comes from Enhanced interface (way more settings), scheduler and PUSH update system.

21. Quitch

Quitch Registered Member

Do Avast! have a section on their site detailing the enhanced interface? Wasn't able to find one.

22. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Avast 4.8 webshield does detect that file as soon as you click on it.I see that you use admuncher....have you altered avast4.ini so that webshield actually works with admuncher?.If not ,the webshield wont be active at all,when admuncher is running.
    ellison

23. osip

osip Registered Member

Hi Ellison...
    No, did´nt think about that...can you give me a hint what to change/add...?

24. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Of course.I use avast and admuncher myself.

From avast forums...

open avast4.ini (usually here...C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA).Scroll down list until you find [WebScanner] or click edit tab>find >and type in webscanner.Then underneath that, add this line
    OptinProcess=admunch.exe

Then save and close.You will probably have to restart admuncher and avast.Admuncher should now work with avast http scanner.
    also make sure you have clicked details>and webshield when you click avast tray icon.You should see files being scanned if webscanner is working

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  25. osip

osip Registered Member

Thanks Ellison...in the mean time I searched for it...In addition to what you said I also saw OptIn=1, needed or not ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.