Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Malcontent, Mar 29, 2008.
Feel guilty for Avast being free? I don't get it.
What kind of slowdowns? Browser or PC?
I don't know if avast! 4.8 has improved ad/spyware detection, but avast! has had ad/spyware signatures for a long time. Go to this site, search for "virtumonde" using the find tool of your browser and see it yourself.
Version 4.8 has "certified" ad/spyware detection and removal and it's recognized as an anti-malware app in the Security Center (IIRC)
in around december 2007 i installed avast 4.7 on my friends laptop.
its still version 4.7
how do i update it to 4.8?
does it need a reinstall?
im hoping there is a program update button somewhere without having to reinstall it.
Right-click the tray icon. Left click "updating". Left click "program update. My time (Broadband, sans restart) 57 sec.
Smoothly installed over the top with no problems.
thanks done. i think i will drop the interface comments since avast seems to have very little problems and the program update was done with no need to uninstall.
if anyone is interested i have uploaded some screenshots of avast 4.8
if you start a scan and then click on the cross it doesnt ask you if want to stop the scan bug or feature?
definatly the lightest webscanner.
Almost the lightest webscanner, I also thought so, but Eset Nod32 Antivirus is lighter!
I totally agree with you on this.It's a lot better.
A review of Avast! Anti-Virus 4.8 Home Edition by PC Magazine -
According to a post on the avast! forums by Vlk, a Global Moderator/avast! Evangelist, there will be a program update released somewhere within the next couple of weeks (guess-timation). There is a pre-release available now for testing. Right now it is being listed as version 4.8.1178. A link to the thread is HERE.
"There are a number of fixes in this release. Here's an (incomplete) list:
- solved incompatibility of the avast self protection module and the System Restore feature (Windows XP/Vista)
- solved keyboard/mouse lags in some games (e.g. World of Warcraft)
- "Quick" scan now quick again (in the previous version, it was usually slower than "Normal" scan)
- fixed deleting of infected files in some nested archives
- shell extension: under Windows Vista, shortcut targets are now correctly scanned
- boot-time scanner now correctly displays warning messages about corrupted archives
- improved scanning speed in the Simple user interface
- improved handling of scan exceptions
- self protection: improved detection of changes in the INI file
- start of the "avast! Mail Scanner" service should now be fast again
- fixed a problem with avast being installed in a directory with name containing non-Latin characters
- fixed entering of the license key (didn't work in certain configurations)
- improved detection/healing of MBR rootkits
- avast can now correctly handle the case when the INI file is missing/corrupted
- the "Disable startup rootkit scan" option on the Troubleshooting page now effective (in the previous version, it was ignored)"
Well...that's pretty big for an incomplete list.
You said thats a new beta, right?
I would really, really like to beta-test it!
The link in my last post has download locations for the pre-release.
It scans faster without the skin as well.
Has anyone experienced "freezes" with Avast! 4.8v?
5 mins to boot
Freezes after a few minutes, reset button only way out
Turing off self-defense module and anti-rootkit, does no good
Scans are about 2 times slower
Anyway for many it works great, for some like me it was like running 5 AVs simmuteniously and I did't have any other resident protection at that time.
I haven't had any of the issues you have other than possibly a little slower web browsing (XP SP2). You might do a search over at the avast! forums and see if anyone else has reported your issues there. If not then I would recommend that you post them.
I have reported them and quite few have reported them too, but they remain unsolved.
I just asked in case someone had the problems and figured out or had a close idea what the problem was, hardware/software related or anything.
People in this forum seem pretty advanced and experient
For you Avast guys with problems,you might wanna check out this thread.
Thanks, but that's the same link as in post #110.
I will install it on one of my Pentium II (Windows 98 ) systems and see how it runs. Fewer AV programs left for me to use on them.
Let us know how it works out.
...seems as avast pro 4.8 fails at eicar.com...
The free Home version apparently checks for updates. But the Pro version has Push style updates. Can someone explain the difference.
Avast! 4.7 doesn't!
Neither does avast! 4.8, of course.
all files except eicar.com.txt are detected when opening after downloading, the .txt file opens without reaction...