Avast 2015 releases

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hayc59, Oct 21, 2014.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'll just laugh so hard when people will magically find out that everyone else were doing it as well, it's just that no one has found out yet...

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I really, really dislike this new version with its hardware virtualisation, browser certificates and whatnot...
    some elements working, others to be activated down the road,
    it smells bloated, unfinished in parts, confusing, unnecessary...

and now this privacy issues which Avast will explain in due time,
    maybe to avoid the forums debacle hasty explanations that had to be backtracked

messy and dodgy

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you explain why you don't like the new features?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That's a very detailed explanation. I don't know enough about intricacies of web traffic to critique it, but I appreciate Vlk's open and professional attitude. It sounds like there is no revenue generated by the use of SafePrice for Avast (?) I also appreciate that it has been made a separate "opt-in" extension.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

My license for Avast Internet Security expired a few days ago and I'm looking for the cheapest price available. Has anyone seen any great deals on AIS?

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

8. ance

ance formerly: fmon

It's possible to install just the 2-3 shields and uncheck all the other junk. :oops:

9. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I can't use the newest version because it locks up my system for a few minutes on every boot what happens is it will seem to get locked trying to connect to the internet and will just sit there for a few minutes and I cant do anything else or the computer will freeze completely I know this is being caused by avast! because without it there is no problem.

I've tried everything to rectify the problem, removing all "traffic scanners" from avast. Disabling hardware assisted virtulization and even going as far as setting avast to not start up until other services have done so. All to no avail, so I guess im waiting for the next version to see if it clears any of these problems up :(

10. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I have installed this thing and i can t see nothing different compared to the older ,slow boot times ,the same registering neccessity that annoys me at free products and so on.The HW virtualisation is nice but i hope it s not used to hide stuff it does in the background.The hardened stuff looks like some kind of (useless) HIPS.Oh and the inability to exclude files is there to keep ,since 4.x this function is not working any more :)

11. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Have you even tried to understand what the purpose of NG and Hardened Mode is?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  12. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

No man i don t understand why exclusions don t work and why when it detects stuff i can t exclude those things i trust.Some months ago it was killing Sandboxie legit files due to some retarded detection.In past few years the only things it detects are benign files.
    They cant make some real interactive options and some simple options like an exclusion lists to work for some years already.Hardened mode is really useless ,congrats to the Avast team for the fact they implemented some HIPS.

13. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Hardened mode is not even close to being HIPS. I set it to aggressive and have yet to see a popup. I don't install a bunch of obscure software though. See attachment.

Attached Files:

14. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Well he didn't exactly say no revenue was made from it, just that it was sources from which they trusted.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, I agree he didn't make it clear - that's why I added the question mark.

16. ance

ance formerly: fmon

What's the difference between smart and quick scan? :shifty:

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Quick scan just performans a quick scan for malware within critical areas. The same we used to have all these years.

Smart Scan combines several security checks into one. The normal Quick Scan, Home Network Security scan (if you have it installed), Software Updater scan (if you have it installed) and GrimeFighter scan (if you have it installed). But if you don't have any of the extras installed, it wil just perform the usual quick scan and nothing else.

18. darts

darts Registered Member

I've tested it a while but it slows down my web browsing on the internet , does anyone else got this problem? It isn't the lightest av anymore i think?

19. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Performance wise it got lot better I'd say here. No slowdowns what so ever :) Must be something else...

20. darts

darts Registered Member

I read also on the Avast forum that this is a known problemen , so that isn't good for now i think. Maybe RejZor knows mor about this?

21. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Try disabling Web Shield and see if there is a difference.

22. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

If you could only hold out until Black Friday in a month...but I understand! Good luck!

23. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Charyb! The DownloadCrew site has AIS at $24.99 yr for 1 pc and $29.99 for 1yr for 3pc. Hard to believe it will more affordable than that! But if you can wait as Rompin said, Black Friday's Coming Up! Sincerely...Securon

24. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

It stopped mine from connecting altogether on bootup causing system lockup for 3-5 min.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't see any difference really. HTTPS connections might be tiny bit more taxing since it has to decrypt and scan a lot of stuff now that it didn't before, but browser still had to decrpyt stuff and File System Shield scanned the stuff so as a whole it shouldn't change much in this regard. Don't really notice anything to be different on my systems ranging from Windows 8.1 tablet, low end laptop and high end PC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.