Avast 2014 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by khanyash, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Any news about the so called intelligent DynaGen technology?

Tested today still not a single detection.

Atleast saw a new detection FileRepString.

DynaGen, yet a complete failure.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

DynaGen can't be a complete failure if it's not even included. What bothers me more is lack of any DeepScreen activity in general. Sure it scans stuff but catches exactly nothing. I haven't seen a single case which is VERY weird considering v8 did detect loads of stuff even in Youtube tests for a certain time. And then it just stopped again. I really don't get it...

3. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

If its not even included then I think Avast page mentioning "Intelligent Antivirus, New DynaGen Technology" is not misleading but kind of misleading I would say.

Why should they mention a feature which simply doesn't works. Its like the feature is not there.

Users buying paid antivirus should know about this. So they should mention experimental/incomplete as info.

They don't give much info too. No progress & info during beta too.

Just saying its not completely non functioning but helping other shield in detection or providing Avast with malware/suspicious data or whatever is not good most of the time.

And in malwaretips forum in one thread Vlk replied to one post that Deepscreen detects & something, I replied there too & also mentioned I have mentioned same things in wilders too in Avast 2014 thread & he had asked me few queries about my tests to which I had replied. Didn't got any reply or further queries from Vlk.

4. anon

anon Registered Member

AVAST 2014 R2 BETA1 (build number 9.0.2009).
    Dec 2, 2013
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141705.msg1029551#msg1029551

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

* SavePrice -- we added a new function to the browser plugins that helps you save money when you are shopping online. It finds better prices for items you are searching for.At the moment, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari are supported. Internet Explorer should be supported in the near future.

Really? Is this on all the products or just the free version? I can imagine this is going to go over well with some folks.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

More and more features that do not provide security, meanwhile they score less at perfomance tests..

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I installed the free version and am not seeing the GrimeFighter feature. Can someone say where in the UI it can be accessed?

8. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I have the AIS version and just set your cursor over "tools"....it comes up as an option. I believe they said that its on all versions right now but later will be a paid option like the VPN option.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I don't see "GrimeFighter" in the Tools menu.

11. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Have they not released 9.0.2009 to all users just yet? I am still on 9.0.2008 and have manually checked for updates and told I am current. I am also concerned about where this product is going. Is there a good reason to have a price checking helper in an antivirus program? Grimefighter sounds like the many PUPs that users are warned away from as well.

12. darts

darts Registered Member

It's a Beta RC2 version and too test , the Final version wi'll come out in 2 weeks.

13. anon

anon Registered Member

avast SavePrice......... Avira Savings Advisor.....

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2310917&postcount=1151

14. Dave0291

Oh, I see. I had thought it was the final release when it was given to me through the program updater. I don't really agree with the way they are handling features. If you're intending to make a feature paid in the near future, why bother giving it to free users at all? I'm contradicting myself from a much earlier posted opinion, but I'm not particularly content with watching my long favored AV being turned into a downloadable storefront. :(

15. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

I don't understand the complaints about the extra features such as Grimefighter or any other add on that is considered bloat. You can EASILY do a custom install and uncheck anything you do not want, nothing is forced upon you or tries to "secretly" install. I have recently switched to avast and am in the process of updating all my clients to it because of it's great detection rate, simplicity and how it is so lightweight.

One question I do have is.... why is hardened mode considered for the inexperienced user and deep scan is not. Hardened mode blocks things and gives you a popup with the option to exclude it, inexperienced users are confused by this, when they see something popup they do not know what to do so they don't allow it where as deep scan will scan it then only block it if it thinks it's malicious, thereby not requiring user intervention. Less user intervention should be for the inexperienced.

:cool:

16. Dave0291

I guess my complaint or rather concern is, why all the gimmicks?

17. mnosteele

I guess some people like gimmicks? Personally I like things as lean as possible without compromising protection.

:)

18. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah I get the concept. It doesn't make it right. I do understand that it's a separate paid utility but did they really need to test it on a public beta. I think it was unnecessary and probably caused more concern than anything.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So I take it you've tried the new beta and it allows you to deselect those components? Bloat is more than allocation of resources for the user, it applies to the developer as well. I daresay their time is better spent on improving the necessities.

20. mnosteele

No, I have not tried the latest beta, but in every other version you can do a custom install and choose only what you want. I wouldn't think they would change the custom install options. In all honesty, it's a free program and I would bet that there is some revenue generated from some of these add ons. But I can't see the point of complaining when they are easily unchecked during installation.

21. anon

anon Registered Member

[Not so] great detection rate...........

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2&year=2013&month=10&sort=1&zoom=3

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart1&year=2013&month=9&sort=1&zoom=3

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Feb-Aug13-1200.jpg

http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=134096

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'd like to see a really good AV that is only an AV. I think Avast is becoming too much to handle. I know you can do a custom install, but I can't see buying an AV and leaving some of it uninstalled. :doubt:

23. mnosteele

Tests are BS, even as thorough as avcomparatives are they still are not real world and only capture a fraction of the malware out there. There are millions of samples of malware out there and how many samples are used when testing..... a fraction.

24. Dave0291

I think that others might feel that their resources should go more towards actively improving protection instead of non-essential add-ons. After all, protection is the reason we use these programs, correct? It is the focus of the company that I am seeing an issue with, not their opt-out procedures. Some tests may very well not mean much in the "real world". However, it is these same tests that make a world of difference in PR and marketing. If the buying public thinks you are failing, then you are failing regardless of finances and product ability.

25. mnosteele

It's about revenue and these features give some people a "warm and fuzzy" feeling. As long as it's easily not installed under some hidden menu I have no issues with it. I even wrote a small tutorial on how to do a custom install with my custom settings HERE. I do a custom install with almost all software I install.

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.