Avast 2014 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by khanyash, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbeg7

pbeg7 Registered Member

Or Bitdefender Free (seemingly not too popular here), Ad-Aware Free+ (I believe), NANO beta (probably not very good, but who knows), 360 IS, Baidu, Avira (seemingly none anymore - except the toolbar which can just be hidden in anything other than IE). Don't care about GUI premium grey-outs or advertisements, only pop-ups.

2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

How many of you keep on staring at the GUI whole day that it bothers you ?

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

lol much less than even writing here ;)

4. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

+1 :D

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well it only takes one look at something of disliking to ruin the mood you know.;)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  6. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Well said, however 2 things have changed.

1. The free antivirus landscape is experiencing an 'earthquake'.
    The "ad-free, free product promoting the paid product which in turn supports free product" will increasingly be squeezed by
    (a) the ad-free vertically-integrated free product (MS Windows Defender) and
    (b) the ad-free horizontally-integrated free product which is in itself an ad because it primarily exists to ensure market penetration in it's home market (like Baidu & Qihu).

2. The entire marketplace has changed.
    "Consumers don't want choice, they just want exactly what they want". -Joe Pine

7. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

I enabled WebRep and it does seem a lot better than it was in the previous version. I like the new icon, too.

8. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

and I figured out DNT is incorporated into the webrep. Wish I knew that sooner.

9. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Version 8 IS was good, version 9 IS keeps knocking off my internet connection. Un-installed it, installed a different AV and Internet connection stays connected, now. Didn't see any solution on Avasts forums for this problem.
    ~snipped~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  10. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Saw many complaints on their forum about that issue. Users seeking answers/help with it were being given contradictory info as though no one knows how to resolve the problem. Users have had to resort to going to another AV, or rolling back to V8.

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Any news about DeepScreen?

12. FreddyFreeloader

True. That's what I had to do. I want my $29 bucks back, Avast.

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

This is always going to be a problem when a new version of any software is released.
    There are so many different configurations of computers and differing specifications in the world and its impossible for avast or indeed any other software company to fully test their software.

Its always better to wait for a couple of updates before trying a new release.

14. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Doesn't seem to be working from what I've tested. If you ask over at the Avast Forum they'll tell you it's working. It has to be a specific file they have. I'm hoping that it will be working shortly. It seems like a great technology.

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So does the paid product contain ads or not? Hopefully not, otherwise they need renamed to Avastshampoo as it would be more appropriate...I'd rather have the paid product anyway and get kinda tired of people complaining about the freeware version not being free enough...just use a different product if you don't like the advertising strategy of this one...if there are enough complaints then the advertising will change...it works, just ask Avira....or just buy the product, assuming there are no ads in the payware version..they have sales and discounts offered all the time....get off the gravy train if you don't like the ride.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Anyone getting problems with avast icon not showing in system tray ,and the desktop widget not displaying correctly?.Its happening frequently for me.Avast seems to be running ,although im not getting any popups for updates or blocking stuff.Using windows 7 32bit.

Update...
    Just checked out avast forums and there's many people with the same problems.Seems like a bug to me.
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137425.15

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  17. aztony

aztony Registered Member

One other solution being thrown around besides reverting to v8, or going to another AV, is to uninstall the avast firewall and use the native OS firewall. Users have regained their network connections with that as well.

18. FreddyFreeloader

I've found that if you reboot your machine right after installing Avast, the Icon will stay in system tray. Also, if you use CCleaner, be sure to un-check Avast in it. YMMV.

19. FreddyFreeloader

I figured it was the firewall, thanks!:thumb:

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive done that everytime ive installed this version.Reinstalling it seems to be the only way to get it to work for a while.Out of the blue the icon then disappears again and other problems occur ,like not being able to open avast and no popups.This has happened to me about 5 times in the past 2 weeks o_O

21. aztony

aztony Registered Member

If this is any consolation there is talk of an upcoming release next week that's supposed to stabilize the patient.

22. aztony

aztony Registered Member

23. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

24. 93036

93036 Registered Member

A timely update for the weekend!

25. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The update would seem to be beneficial more to windows 8 and 8.1 users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.