Avast 2014 - is this true info

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mops21, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Well I just hope that this version is good in terms of user dependency because v8 wasnt any better when it came to user dependency where sandbox warning was a hit and miss.

But I think this new v9 is going to keep up the hopes,but as usual,people expect way too much from a big name like "Avast" and when they dont get what they want they began to bash it as usual. ;) Since v8 has been getting consistent very good scores from AV-C and AV-Test I expect much better things for v9.

In my opinion,wait and watch,speculation is pointless.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

How will you scan something that gets executed directly in browser and never ever touches the HDD ? Only Web Shield (HTTP scanner) can do that. That's why it's there... All the video, audio and GIF images are automatically excluded, the rest has to be scanned, including JPG images which were a part of exploits few years ago. If you get web shield delay or lag, it has to be some incompatibility either with browser or some 3rd party app that you're using. In normal conditions it hardly makes any difference if Web Shield is there or not.

Network Shield only checks URL's and doesn't really scan anything on a binary level, so that's not a slowdown vector either.

Things don't just "become" buggy. They either are or they aren't. This can only change if there was a program update in between where it might change things. But without it, i highly doubt it, as that would defy almost all the logic.

As for the corrupted downloads, i suggest you check your RAM and HDD for errors, AHCI SATA drivers, faulty network cards, faulty routers, things like this cause file corruption. If it was a global avast! problem, everyone would be encountering it, not just you. Or at least a larger group of people, not just a single person.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What's left that's not covered by Script Shield, outdated JPG exploits that only works on unpatched IE 6? If anything, I doubt something like Web Shield can detect it. Even if it was 3rd party apps, they're definitely more useful.

Never said it was, in fact I've stated twice that I prefer it and Script Shield over Web Shield.

Probably there was, no logic defines a users own system where one can install antivirus software as static. Admittedly, the last time I bothered with the Web Shield is version 6, but 2014 may have unwelcome changes.

Been there, done that. Like I said, only Avast Web Shield and similar HTTP scanners caused such issues. More trouble than they're worth.

4. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

IIRC, Webshield behaviour/scanning method was going to change with new avast! version. Currently it acts like a proxy (so web traffic goes thru webshield first) if I remember correctly, thus creating more issues to some users.

Looking forward to v2014, especially the "set and forget" protection where it's strict against any new/potentially dangerous files.

5. avman1995

Probably you know more than the avast developers do eh and that i why probably you warrent file shield as a waste. :rolleyes:

Do me a favour,remove file sheild,insert a infected USB stick and then try complaining about file shield.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Do me a favour and read the entire conversation. I'll give you a hint, we were discussing the need of Web Shield.

@LagerX: Hope they'll implement something lighter and less redundant.

7. avman1995

I did read the full conversation.

Look its simple,if you dont like it,dont use it rather than calling any of the shields as waste.

No Need to complain at all.Calm down,alright,its just AV software.

I myself dont use any AV right now. :D

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You'd be surprised how many outdated systems with ancient browsers are still out there and you'd also be surprised that malware even today still tries old exploit tricks...

As for the unwelcome changes, with over 150 million users, surely you can't satisfy everyone. There will be settings to disable all the existing settings which are now consolidated into less shields. Maybe you won't be able to remove individual shields, but you'll most likely still be able to disable HTTP scanning in the settings. Not recommended, but there will most likely be setting for it (in a good avast! tradition of allowing users to fiddle with AV).

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

10. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

And to the topic. Apparently nearly all of the upcoming security products (including Avast if those pics were indeed accurate of the new version) will be sporting Metro GUIs. Great...

And I agree with J L, although I didn't have the same issue. The Web shield renders the Win 7 firewall useless. Although I found out after the fact that you can make certain configurations to work around it, from my understanding. At least that used to be the case, as well as other firewalls too.

I never needed the Web Shield anyway, though. The network, av, and script filters were plenty. Don't know about the masses...

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That's hardly something you can call Metro interface. It's just Metro inspired, meaning it has flat surfaces and simple solid colors. I've seen far worse attempts before...

12. avman1995

RejZor,any idea about dyna-gen and binary translution method already in use for v9 or not? if they are being used right now,then are they also in v8 now or what?

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, Dynamic Binary Translation and Dyna-Gen are currently NOT used in avast! 8.0. But will be in avast! 2014 (which superseded the v9.0 only by the name).

15. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Now the release month for Avast AV will be October, so Avast 2014 will release this october 2013?

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Aye captain! This october!

17. tgell

tgell Registered Member

@RejZoR, thanks for the informative article on avast! 2014. Will the rescue disk be available in the free version?

18. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Cant wait to see this new versiin in action and use it:D

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It is not known yet and the screenshot is from the Premier version. I'm suspecting it will also be available in free version (just like Boot-time scan which is in all versions) but lets wait for the beta release where we will know for sure.

20. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi

Avast 2014 angekündigt

http://forum.avadas.de/threads/5701-avast!-2014-angekündigt

21. Well based on my experience with WSA using the "only allow to execute binaries which have been seen by a large portion of the WSA community" this whitelisting option/reputation scoring will reduce infection to 0%, because zero days will not have been seen by the community/won't have a secure reputation score :thumb:

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i know its cool that everyone knows about this now but i have to say this was a messed up thing that someone AGAIN leaked the info especially someone who is supposed to be a evangelist

23. waters

waters Registered Member

Kees,just trying Wsa,can you create a thread on max setting you use please
    thanks

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

They have the choice of choosing choosing specific Shields, something I'm unsure about later on.

That is likely, but we'll have to see once a testable version is released.

@true indian: All or nothing is hardly the answer to anything, just AV software or not. Why do you think compromises always exist?

25. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Appreciate your interest guys. Indeed, the beta program for Avast 2014 will start soon and we will definitely be looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks
    Vlk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.