avast! 2014 BETA released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Is there a firewall that can actually work with the avast web scanner and intercept outgoing processes before they are allowed through the avast web shield?or is it a case of using one or the other?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Change Avast Web Shield settings to "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only".

3. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

Does Avast incorporate an anti-keylogger?

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

As a specific function, no. It does however detect them through regular means. Some commercial keyloggers require PUP's to be enabled in order to detect them.

5. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

OK Here is a casual test on spywar's 3 packs.157 files in total.A ton of Junk and broken stuff.

Evo-Gen- 32 << Impressive!
    FileRepMalware- 3
    DeepScreen BLOCKED- 10

9 to 10 corrupt/FP's and rest were broken stuff,they would just run in memory and do nothing ...System ran pretty well at the end..there was some left overs in temp which I wasnt much bothered about :D

Not a test to be taken seriously...as the packs werent as good as I thought.Deepscreen was still impressive as there was a lot of useless junk it still did something.

Note that avast second VPS didnt release for yesterday and streaming updates stopped yesterday too.I will do some serious testing on deepscreen later when I have time.Oh and I did have some ransomwares in there,they were prevented.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  6. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

So many buzzwords "Evo-gen, FileRep, DeepScreen, Hardened Mode"

I know FileRep is a file reputation thing that warns if it has few ratings, but can someone summarize the others in one sentence each?

7. internet addict

Avast 2014 looks very promising. Can't wait for the official release.

8. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Aside from a couple of quirks here and there, This beta is quite stable for being a beta.

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thanks..missed that one :thumb:

10. avman1995

FilerepMalware and Evo-gen is running since earlier this year even in avast v8 and previous versions:
    http://blog.avast.com/2012/12/03/new-toy-research-lab/

Rest Is in these topics:
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=132502.0
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=348830

Be sure to read everything!

11. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

It doesn't work.Even with this feature enabled,if you block for example IE in Privatefirewall,it still connects to internet.

12. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

JoeBlack40, it means that it lets well known browsers through it's webshield, IE is one.

I have seen when it passes some other things that are not browsers too even if that is checked. Some it does not, so yes it is best to check that thing, it is a default too.

Tinywall is another one operating Windows 7 firewall that cannot also handle a loopback proxy like Web Shield. As an example if I block spywareblaster.exe it can still search updates if that is not checked, but if it is checked, it can't connect to remote TCP 80 port server.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  13. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Re: Webshield/Proxy

I thought this was being changed for this version o_O
    Sure the developers mentioned this before.

14. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

15. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

16. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

When Avast 9 is released, will it upgrade my Avast 8 Internet Security for free or will I have to buy Avast 9 Internet Security?

17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Freddy...if your current Avast License Key is still valid when Avast 9 is released...then most assuredly you will be automatically eligible for the transition. Sincerely...Securon

18. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Good news. Thanks, Securon.

19. avman1995

Woohoo...look at this.

Downloaded 121 pack a while ago,it was fresh! Extracted and avast missed 41 of them.Hitted manual update,it sent also half or more of them to their labs.And now a while a Ago I tried moving those samples to another folder and avast picked up on them with evo-gen.Now from 80/141 the score is 102/141 :cool:

Avast seems to be rapildy improving evo-gen and the cloud it seems from some of my tests,it is catching different and rare malwares too.The pack had a malware called bladabindi trojan and many more that was not under evo-gen radar but now it is detected by evo-gen earlier it was being missed by evo-gen.Great Job Avast Labs!! :D

Haha..They are after it..Seems like they have gone out on a mission,they are gonna win this game Avast,they are not hold back anything!! :argh: :thumb:

20. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Yeah, this sounds cool! :thumb:

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Only well-known web browser processes are filtered by the Web Shield with that ticked, iexplorer.exe included. Other traffic won't be filtered.

There are very few scenarios where you want to block network traffic of already installed web browsers. Internet Explorer can be crippled through other means (and disabled in Windows 7+).

22. avman1995

Also,it seems like deepscreen is currently at the level of avast v8 sandbox analysis.Dynamic Binary Translation and Dyna-gen doesnt seem to be up yet...we will have to wait,maybe just a bit more time longer :D

23. internet addict

Does anyone have any idea why webrep isn't working for me in Avast 8?

I have the extension installed in Firefox and the icon is showing, but when I go to my plugins it doesn't show avast webrep. I did enable it in the settings of avast, too. But, shouldn't the icon be next to the results as well?

Any advice would be appreciated.

24. internet addict

Results meaning next to Google search results. Next to the links indicating if they are safe or not.

25. internet addict

edit: It is working now but not the greatest. Sometimes I have to reload the page to show the icon next to the search results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.