avast! 2014 BETA released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Well even 15/46 may be a clean file :D ..

BTW if you check the files you can easily get an amount of 30 samples per day from that source.

2. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Now mind you i am not running these files so.very well evo-gen or sandbox may have nailed them in V8.its just i dont like samples to.get that far. I would like to see more signature detections.

And i dont trust a file that has 5 or more detections on VT

3. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

AntiMalware,just because they are detected by VT scanners and not by avast scanners doesnt mean you arent protected..I am not too sure but I did same testing yesterday night with v8 and up to date VPS and it blocked most till the end of page 9 till where I tested.MDL links are blocked by URL Blocker anyways and also most links on MDL are dead and outdated in my opinion they dont match the exact release time of malware as they claim too also by the way is MDL and malc0de all the malware in the world,I guess not :D

Evo-gen is now in real time so even web shield and file shield can stop it with evo-gen so it doesnt go until execution.So it is the part of real time prevention even for v8.

V9 updates are a dead horse right now,if you want to test something with links go ahead with v8 that is running fine and dont forget to send missed samples to virus@avast.com if they come through via avast web and network shield.I got a bit far today with the updates on v9 but it got stuck at downloading latest VPS and again got host unreachable error,proves they are working on it and its gonna be fixed soon.

Even with spywar samples,I find like 10 to 12 or even more sometimes,all false positives that are packer detections or just adware/pup like stuff.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Then tell me what extensions there are for URLs if it's ignoring ".htm*:.php:.css:.jar:.swf:.pdf:.asp*:.x*:.json", it's own "Script scanning", and its own "Block Malware URLs". I put a freaking * on another clean virtual machine of a different Windows version and architecture. Still nothing. Guess what the Eicar result (with .com extension) is?

TLDR, "Scan selected file types only" in "Web scanning" under "Avast 2014 > Settings > Active Protection > Web Shield" doesn't work and visibly disables Web Shield, what was Script Shield's browser component, and what was Network Shield.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

J_L, now i understand what you mean. I checked the behavior and it is indeed a bit messed up. Check your thread on avast forums, i've responded to your message there and also filled a bug report for it :)

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Does the Web Shield still act as a proxy, routing trafic through Avast's servers?

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Okay we'll continue there, thanks.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! Antivirus never routed any traffic through avast! servers. It behaved as local proxy, meaning the scanned data never left your system, it was always scanned on YOUR computer. As far as i know they are now using a dedicated network driver to do this job, but i could be wrong. I know they were mentioning it to avoid certain local proxy issues...

9. avman1995

OK! finally I had some luck...it looks like work on update servers of v9 is still going on but anyway,finally I had enough luck and it updated to 130817-1 :D

10. spywar

spywar Registered Member

I know :D These last days, I don't take time to check 1 per 1 sorry but nice to see you can find them. BTW there are rarely PUP. And still, Adware/PUP are really widespread :D

11. avman1995

Hehe!! Also got through with new VPS that was just released...130818-0 and this time it was automatic update :)

Finally it looks like they are getting close to fixing this as host unreachable error is coming very often but it is not stopping update process like before :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  12. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

i got also the new vps update through automatc update :)

13. avman1995

Anyone got any deepscreen tests with up to date and latest VPS? :D

14. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

IIRC, DeepScreen was about to be enabled next week?

Anyways, updates are working like a charm now :)

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, DeepScreen is already enabled, Dynamic Binary Translation module will be activated sometime next week. I don't know how much will that affect detection by itself, but i'm sure it will allow them to create more advanced detections with it.

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I liked the last GUI more, and found it easier to find what I'm looking for.

Also like the older virus alerts more, with the bright red, blue, etc. windows. The alerts now are more generic looking.

17. avman1995

Well,since vlk only talked about dynamic binary translation layer activation next week,I assume dyna-gen is being used right now :p

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Dyna-Gen, just like Evo-Gen is platform independent and it's basically entirely on their backend infrastructure and you then receive the data through Streaming Updates. So, DeepScreen or not, they could deliver its functionality even in avast! 8.0, but they didn't have it finished back then. It should be or is very close to completion now.

19. avman1995

Well I guess it is as shown from here:
    but we will wait in anticipation :)

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If you remember, Evo-Gen got "activated" without any program upgrades/updates, because it doesn't really need one. It's similar with Dyna-Gen...

21. avman1995

Yeah exactly! I am sure these new technologies will make it tougher for bad guys to bypass avast! :D

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

23. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I personally cant wait to see hardened mode in action :)

24. spywar

spywar Registered Member

25. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Bored teenager copying & pasting supposed malware links from a website.
    Definetly NOT a test.
    These kids are hysterical :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.