Avant browser?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pilli, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I am trying the Avant Browser: http://www.avantbrowser.com/ It sort of "Operises" IE. :rolleyes:
    I was wondering if others have tried it and of any misgivings they may have.

Thanks for any replies Pilli

2. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

I didn't particularly like it, but that's just my personal opinion. Most people like it.
    It's definitely better than vanilla IE. They have an affiliate relationship with the company that makes UCmore spyware and make a big production of the fact that they have built-in support for it. When I installed it ( a month or two ago ), it didn't actually install UCmore. It just had support for it as a plugin.

3. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

How weird, when I clicked on this thread a pop up appears asking me to enter my username and password to Spywareinfo.como_Oo_Oo_O

It also happens on refreshes, weird, Mike any ideas as it maybe your sig triggering this?

edit* also happened on adding my reply, I dont like this.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Something seems to be wrong with Mike's board.
    I get a Network screen asking for my user-name and password as well.
    Not on this page however, only when I try to visit spywareinfo.
    His avatar is hosted there. That might trigger it for you.

Regards,

Pieter

5. Tinribs

That would explain it, it didnt do it this time though.

6. snowy

snowy Guest

PIETER

I was not going to mention this......yesterday my filters kept kicking in at several of the forums here at the board.....I don't think Mike had posted at the particular forums.....................since my os is set differantly than most I just ignorred......an worked around.........so far this morning its not happening.........

7. Pieter_Arntz

Hi snowy,

That should not be related. It only started less then half an hour ago and has been solved in the meantime.

Regards,

Pieter

8. snowy

snowy Guest

PIETER

Great.........an now for why I am posting..in regards to Useemore........the spyware.......how can one tell if its been installed...is there a cleaner or instructions on how to clean.
    recently I was testing a broswer that offered useemore...an I was not awear that it was spyware.....I fail to remember if I enabled it or not an would like to check

thanks

9. Pieter_Arntz

Hi snowy,

Try to stay ontopic ;)
    Go to the downloads section and grab a copy of Spybot S&D (listed as spybotsd11.zip)
    Make sure to update before you run it. UCMore is in the defs.

Regards,

Pieter

10. snowy

snowy Guest

PIETER

oops,, sorry about that....(I already took care of the ot question..thanks the same)

11. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Oh jeez... I'm sorry.. :oops:

I didn't realize it would do that. My avatar is served off my site, and I had to lock down my web site for a few minutes earlier while I did something.

UCmore is a target of Spybot. If it's installed, Spybot will find it.

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Mike,

Just go to your profile and upload your avatar to our server ;).

regards.

paul

13. Tinribs

Its ok Mike, no harm done, just me being a bit jumpy ;)

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Pilli.I have had Avant for just about a week now.I did notice that UC More was offered and I declined that.I scanned with Spybot and there was no detection of UC More.So,they didn't bundle it in my download.Avant seems to have pretty much the same tools as any other IE based browser.The popup blocker works,download speed has been better than Crazy Browser,this browser has been stable so far and navigates without hanging.The multi-tab function took a few minutes to figure out(the arrows on left side of page will expose/hide your favorites page)Left clicking your mouse will give you the option of "open in a new window".Overall I don't have any complaints yet.I kinda like it!

15. snowy

snowy Guest

Its been noted that ucmore has been mentioned by other persons replieing to this post an they were not considered as being off topic..........an yet my mention of ucmore was considered off topic

this is not a complaint.....just a notation to myself

16. snowy

snowy Guest

Upon further consideration I've decided that just maybe I have taken this alittle to personal..an will ignor the entire matter

17. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Thanks for your replies, I did not take the UC more plugin. I have had several black screens of death in WXP pro only since installing Avant and when browsing which is a bit worrying but it is still only a beta :doubt:
    Also won't work with copernic :(

Too unstable! o_O

I have uninstalled Avant, uninstalling was a nightmare using add remove in XP resulted in my IE6 not working correctly, when going straight from a a link in an email from wilders etc, all I got was a blank page! :mad:
    The answer was to re-install Avant, Start IE proper & tell it that it was the default browser then go to the Avant directory & uninstall using the Avant uninstaller. :(

Your mileage may vary but I have updated to Opera 7 (licenced) & am now happy again :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.