AV Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheIgster, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterlonz

peterlonz Registered Member

Re: Request another brand AV - for testing

I have been trying to keep tabs on a relative new-comer to the AV scene:"GData".
    I have seen some very complimentary comments but no real comparative testing - so if you can also include GData we might all learn something.
    And thanks for the tests, I use Avast so I'm impressed with this result, as well as the actual performance I see on my PC day to day.

2. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

If I can fit it in I will. I'm downloading it right now. 367MB :eek:

3. icr

icr Registered Member

What are you downloading Gdata AV is ~250Mbo_O

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Ugh oh....did someone mention clam? I wouldn't expect it too much from it, but none the less it should be interesting to see how it fares.

5. TheIgster

Went to their site. Clicked on the link that reads: G Data AntiVirus 2010

Site
    Link

Looks like they must include some languages or something in the "International" version. Downloading the US one now instead, as I certainly don't need it to install a bunch of languages.

6. TheIgster

I was just looking at this. It looks like the program only. Is there no install? Is there an install or anything required? Any install/run instructions at all?

7. icr

icr Registered Member

It should definitely be some additional stuffs here is the link from their site

8. Technic

Technic Registered Member

To get access to the newest version of a-squared Anti-Malware please activate the "Beta updates" option in your update configuration.

Thank you. :)

9. TheIgster

OK, so some interesting results last night. Finished up pretty late so posting the results this morning. Included in the test (I ran out of time for any others) were:

1. Avast Free 5
    2. ClamWin
    3. G Data
    4. Immunet Protect
    5. Kaspersky
    6. Norman
    7. Norton AntiVirus 2010
    8. Panda AntiVirus Pro

All latest versions I could download, all allowed to update any required information (program and signatures) and all set to default out-of-the-box settings. All tested in shadow mode using Shadow Defender and all done on Windows 7 64-bit.

Used 25 malware links that were found that day (some consider these zero day threats, while others may say one day threats). Included in those were rogues, bots, droppers, etc. No real focus on any one thing. Just lots of nasties, including a rogue AV called PC Defender. Not really sure how nasty it was, but it got by everyone except for one.

Stopped/Reported means just that, the AV reported there was a threat and it had been stopped or dealt with. No Reported Threat means the AV didn't say anything and it appeared the threat got through. How dangerous the threat was is anyone's guess. MBAM Infections Found means that once the test was over, Malwareybytes Antimalware was loaded, updated and ran (just a simple quick scan) and the # of infections found was reported.

Results (Worst to Best):

8. ClamWin

Stopped/Reported: 0
    No Reported Threat: 25
    MBAM Infections Found: 45

Overall: 0%

7. Immunet Protect

Stopped/Reported: 5
    No Reported Threat: 20
    MBAM Infections Found: 35

Overall: 20%

6. Norman

Stopped/Reported: 5
    No Reported Threat: 20
    MBAM Infections Found: 33

Overall: 20%

5. Panda AntiVirus Pro

Stopped/Reported: 12
    No Reported Threat: 13
    MBAM Infections Found: 35

Overall: 48%

4. Norton AntiVirus 2010

Stopped/Reported: 13
    No Reported Threat: 12
    MBAM Infections Found: 22

Overall: 52%

3. Avast

Stopped/Reported: 16
    No Reported Threat: 9
    MBAM Infections Found: 27

Overall: 64%

2. G Data

Stopped/Reported: 18
    No Reported Threat: 7
    MBAM Infections Found: 22

Overall: 72%

1. Kaspersky

Stopped/Reported: 20
    No Reported Threat: 5
    MBAM Infections Found: 2

Overall: 80%

So there you have it. Avast finally not perfect anymore and neither is Kaspersky, although Kaspersky did an excellent job and was the ONLY one to not allow the rogue AV PC Defender to get in and start displaying pop-ups and tray alerts. Kaspersky also had a note that a reboot was required, so it might have even removed the other two upon a reboot, but I could not reboot to see while running in shadow mode. I think it would be fair to almost give Kaspersky an honorary 100%.

Couple of other side notes. G Data was a huge download, and was the only one that required a reboot after install as well as a reboot after updating. What a pain. It did really well though, although it did also give me a prompt when downloading and installing MBAM (looked like some sort of HIPS prompt), so I'm not sure if it was prompting for just about everything, or it truly was doing as well as it did.

Also, I had to go on the hunt for something to uninstall Panda because it immediately displayed an error when I tried to uninstall it. That was also a pain. Even a reinstall and another uninstall would not work. It's great if the AV does not require a reboot after installing because all of it can be done in shadow mode, allowing me to simply reboot and move on the the next test, although I installed Panda by accident not in shadow mode, thus the trouble.

So again, not saying one is any better than the other and these tests are not professional or scientific by any means, but more links used this time. So take from this test what you will.

10. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi TheIgster

Interesting results!
    Did you test Kaspersky internet security or Kaspersky Antivirus?

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks

11. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

How did you test Clamwin, did you do a scan with it after download all the samples?

12. TheIgster

All were just AV products. No suites or anything else.

13. TheIgster

Just running in the system tray as were all the others. No further scans with the products or anything else. It was testing realtime protection and if the products could stop a threat from getting in.

14. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

ClamWin does not have real time protection......

15. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

May explain the results with ClamWin :p

16. icr

icr Registered Member

Quite interesting results Kaspersky :-* doing a good job but really a low down by norton:(

17. TheIgster

lol...that's funny. Wow...what a waste of time. Well, I think it's fair to assume that an antivirus product actually act as an antivirus product.

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! Why does it exist? I can get the same results with PlaceboAV. I guess it's worth the price though...

19. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Can u add VIPRE, F-PROT, Dr.Web and VBA32?

20. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

will i wish if you have the time to test the security suits of these programs ، because you know some of them got some layer of protection like Hips etc...

21. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Don't worry some folk complain about every test unless their chosen product is shown to be the best,the tests are always said to be flawed or methodology has some errors etc,what they really mean is that the tests don't agree with their preconceived ideas!

22. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I appreciate the time you take to run these tests and share the results with us. Well done! :)

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I too appreciate the tests. I find them helpful as well as intersting. Thank you.

I agree with Steve.

Regards,
    Jerry

24. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

These tests are awesome, thanks for spending the time to test all these products.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the tests are very good and thank you. It finally proves to me though, AVs just dont cut it anymore. 80 percent protection is not very stable from my viewpoint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.