AV Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheIgster, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Okay, so you think I'm still safe? The free version doesn't do for me since I use either Chrome or Opera.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will use KS free only for credit cards, banking etc and that is usually with IE as IE is most compatible with all such sites. So free version is OK.

For rest of things KS is not must IMO.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

And I will do banking etc in a non-isolated browser rather than an isolated( geswalled) browser.

4. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

So I'm going to most likely do some more tests tonight. Possibly with more links so some may not be from today, but that may also be a good test to see how some of these cope with older threats (and by older I mean a day or so, perhaps a little longer).

I think I will include Avast again and possibly Kaspersky because of their untainted records to date in my testing. I will also include Norman as well as Panda Pro. Also most likely a Norton product (still not sure which one...ideas folks)?

I'm trying to remember what some of the other requests were. I may have to go back and read the whole thread...:doubt:

So if there are ones you think should be included or you have something you want included, post here please. AV's only, no security suites. Thanks!

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

TheIgster when you test malware samples do you include PDF Exploits?

Also if you have enough time maybe you should test Spyware Doctor + AV.

6. TheIgster

I include just about anything I can find on various sites. I don't not include anything. If the link works, it's included.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I guess you can't test Prevx because they don't offer a real-time free trial version?

And what would you think of testing avast4.8 in addition to 5.0?

In addition to possibly pointing out how the product has improved, a rather large (I'm guessing here) segment of the user community is not too keen on migrating from 4.8 to 5.0, and such a test might be revealing to them. I know it would be to me! :)

8. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

If possible, test Prevx and NOD32, please.

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I just remember an AV no one has talked about in the thread yet; Twister Antivirus. I'd be interested on seeing how it does :D

10. TheIgster

OK...so:

Panda Pro
    Norman
    Twister

I did test Nod32 in the first test but I might be able to include it again. I really only wanted to include Kaspersky and Avast again because they had a perfect record so far. So, not sure if Nod32 will be included again.

Prevx, sorry guys, I had a license, but gave it to someone else so I can't test realtime protection. If someone from Prevx wants to give me a 2 day trial license or something, I will include it.

If I have time, I might be able to do Avast 4.8, but I do like to only include current versions, so I'm not sure it will make it.

11. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

I think it's great that people are willing to test malware samples for us. But guys, remember these people are doing it on their free time and their machines. If possible - why not test it yourself? If you have disk imaging software create a clean image - subject yourself to tests - and restore the image. Or use a virtual machine :)

12. guest

guest Guest

Could you try just the HIPS module of Comodo 3.13?

13. guest

guest Guest

it's a good idea I could help, but maybe would be possible share the same samples? Maybe we could make a web site where publish the results where each member have to test the samples against only 1 configuration under the same conditions, so maybe test only 10 samples every day is not a real pain.

14. TheIgster

I think that might be a good test when testing those types of products. Maybe get some more HIPS products and do a test with those...maybe a future test.

15. TheIgster

Maybe, but that sounds WAY too organized for me...lol.

I like testing like this, so it's not a big pain. The only real problem is testing a LOT of different products at the same time.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t think that KS is absolutely needed. If you can keep ur system clean, KS is not needed. After all it,s use is only if ur system ever becomes infected with a keylogger.

You can decide it better.

17. TheIgster

Just looked to download the install for later...unfortunately, no 64-bit support...:(

18. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

How about A-squared 5? Avira 10 beta?

19. TheIgster

Easy links to those betas?

Avira 10 Beta says: Please note that currently this beta product can only be installed on 32-bit systems.

I'm pretty sure I tried A-Squared at one point and time during the first tests and I could not get the realtime protection to stay running. The icon kept removing itself from the system tray.

20. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Norton Internet Security 2010
    Get the 60-day full featured trial here

21. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

22. TheIgster

I am including Norton AntiVirus 2010 in tonight's tests. Full suites are not allowed, just testing AV's.

23. TheIgster

24. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I really do hope you can run this one,but if not,
    thanks for the effort.
    (or just the current release version would be nice.)

25. TheIgster

So on tap tonight as long as there are no install or runtime issues:

Avast
    Kaspersky
    Norman
    Immunet Protect
    ClamWin
    Norton Antivirus 2010
    Panda Pro
    A-Squared

I want to test Avast and Kaspersky again since they are perfect to date. Also I am going to try and use at least 30 links this time, so not all links will be zero day threats. Some will be from the last few days, which isn't a bad thing because it's nice to see how these products react to something that has been out there and is known currently as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.