AV Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheIgster, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Agreed. The test can sway both ways very easy, and give little to no valuable input. But hey maybe that's just the way I think. Tho if they were done over time lets say a set amount per day for x amount of days. That might give you some view how they do. As long as you are testing all AV's against the same sample set.

2. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

With AVs, I look at tests like this, but what I find most convincing is personal experiences over time - experiences where you use the computer normally and remain protected or not.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, I was really inspired by this test.

I have done a very very crude attempt. I tried some links from malwaredomainlist. com. I tried Avast, Avira, MSSE and Comdod v4.

I used mainly the links that lead to an executable download. These link were from 21 Feb to this day. Tried 13 samples on Windows 7 32 bit.

Avast detected 12 - - - - - - - - - - - - - 92 %
    MS Security Essentials 10 - - - - - - - 76 %
    Antivir free 8 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 61%
    Smart Screen Filter in IE 10 - - - - - - 76%
    Comodo v4 beta 9 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 69%

I have guessed the reason why Avast detects more on real time while malware is coming via web.

4. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

@aigle
    I have never seen the IE filter compared before, interesting!
    I assume you turned off the filter when doing the other tests.
    By any chance did you do a 'combined' test.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

But if the computer is used normally it is not insignificant to me whether or not it gets infected. An infected system is so whether there is a large number of samples or not, or whether the methodoligy is accepted or not.
    A difference between 92% and 76% if I were getting infected would be enough to change to a better AV.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just tried Panda cloud after many hours. Not an exact test as was in hurry. It detected about 50% approx.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

IE filter is good I know that. Ofcourse it was turned off/ disbaled for other AVs.

No combined test. Infact no more test as I wasted all my day :D . Now going to sleep.

8. guest

guest Guest

Did you have In comodo defense+ or the sandbox enable during the test?

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It was AV test only.

10. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

:thumb: I'm glad.

I will be doing some more tests this weekend most likely with different AV's, although I may still include Avast and Kaspersky to see if their record remains intact.

I would like to use more than 15 links as well. We'll see what I can dig up.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I didnt mean to imply anything earlier. We all love seeing tests like this. But folks should keep them in their right perspective. Again, thank you.

12. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Agreed.
    They are kind of fun, though.
    Nice test, aigle, I'd never think to test IE on its own.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It's really a great fun. I wish to have a lot of time spare and to run more extensive and more formal testing.

Actually Avast performed so good due to its shields. I noticed that many threats detected by its web shield. Only few could reach my hard disk and catched by file shield.

A very interesting thing is its network shield. It blocks malicious web sites and domains. It gives avast a great edge. It might not detect many threats on a web site but by blocking this website and a whole malicious domain, it protects against a lot lot more malware even with out any detection by its file shield. I strongly suspect that it may be reason of good scope by avast.

Another interesting thing i noted that two threats were blocked by its web shield but when i disabled the web shield, and let the samples be downloaded to my hard disk, file shield did not detect them.

I really like avast. It lacks only two things, a good behav blocker and some sort of cloud implementation and it can be a real top class anti virus. I wil post some screen shots later.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  14. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I had the same success with Avast and the Web Shield. However, I was too afraid to disable it and let the file shield do it's thing. Overall a great addition to anyone's security plan.

Ice

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

If possible, someone should try the combination of MSSE and Immunet together.

I've found at times what one misses, the other detects. And both are light and free. Be interesting to see how both go working at the same time. As trjam said, just a simple test. 0/13 won't change my mind. ;)

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Here are some.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
  17. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I must say that those pop-ups from Avast are very informative and nicely implemented.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I did a little, actually a lot on my own last night, thanks to some fine people here,:cautious: lol.

I am not going to talk about individual scores but I will have to say that Avast and Prevx really surprised the hell out of me. Others did very well to but yeah, these 2 came out very well.

Oh, one product did get 100 percent of about 50 malware sites that were active and that winner is, ShadowDefender.;) Stopped them all. Loll

19. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

aigle, just curious... why you've COMODO as well?

20. guest

guest Guest

Ohh!! dont you support Panda anymore? :D

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Avast was installed for testing only. It's a VM infact, a snapshot of VB.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Brother I need to make this part of my sig. I use FD-ISR on 3 computers for a total of 30 snapshots. I use and try alot of stuff. Panda is and will be one of my favorites. Just because it isnt being plastered in my sig doesnt mean anything. Ok?:cautious:

23. guest

guest Guest

I was just kidding men, you can use whatever you want, was just curious.

24. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

What about KeyScrambler? I thought GW blocked keyloggers as well. :doubt:

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes GW blocks the keyloggers but KS is so nice that I like to use it for online transactions etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.