AV Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheIgster, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

OSS is indeed a full suite. All the Agnitum downloads are here:

http://www.agnitum.com/products/

If you don't test full suites then maybe try the AV as that will give some idea of how good that component is.

2. lonelywolf

lonelywolf Registered Member

True, I am running Shadow Defender alongside Zemana. A-squared free and Malwarebytes' as on demand scanners. I was wondering if you could test some on demand scanners in a virtual environment. Purely to see the detection rates of some free on demand scanners. Keep up with the good work.
    :thumb:

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Comparing Iggy's narrowly-based test-results to broadly-based test-results done by reputable/professional test organizations, such as AV-C, is like comparing the design specs for a bicycle to those for a BMW.

BUT... do I find Iggy's tests interesting? Thoitenly! ;)

4. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Amen. The OP has chosen not to test Insight. So his Norton test is completely bogus

5. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

:rolleyes:

The OP doesn't use a browser supported by Norton. That's not the OP's fault and nowhere does Norton state if you don't use one of "these" browsers, then our software doesn't work.

:rolleyes:

6. SAW

SAW Registered Member

Don't worry about Igster, you stated you were doing a default and you were using your system(with Opera) for the tests. You're not going to keep all the various fanboys happy no matter what you do. Lets face it we're all using or not using different anti viruses for a great deal of reasons, and some of those reasons may have to do with pure protection or possible something else that we feel is vital, but some one else may find it not as important.

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

While I understand that it's your prerogative to use Opera, it sure would be nice to see how Norton performs when using IE 8 or FF since that is what a large % of the population uses.

8. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Then by all means, put on your testing cap and check it out.

I'm not going to start using browsers that are friendly toward certain products to prove they might work better if I changed my default browser.

Sorry.

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, it is time to stick a fork in this one.

It is done.

Thanks "all" for whatever you contributed.

Nice! :D *puppy*

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Someone asked me why I closed this thread at this point?

Well, for the same reason the bradtech threads, which involved the same kind of mostly pointless testing, were closed months ago. None of these threads have any great lasting value. Yes, they are kind of cute. A few nasty malware links selected out of nowhere, can look like great drama when tossed against a set of products, but, they aren't anything special.

We let this thread go longer than we did the bradtech thread, which people pointed out to us. But, it's really time now to put a stop to this and the similar related threads. This includes AlexDBR's "Video AV test" thread, as well.

These kind of "tests" are basically pointless. I am sorry to say it, but, there is no great value to what these have done here.

I know this is not a popular position to take. I'm sure many of those who think "everyone should be told they are right" regardless of what they are write online, will think I am wrong for taking this position. But, we let these go on long enough. It's time to stop this. These endless tests without valid testing criteria have got to stop. I don't care if the people running them state that "these aren't professional tests" but they still want to be taken seriously. No. That won't do. You can't have it both ways.

Not everyone is meant to be a published tester. Not every test is worth the pixels it takes to display them online. Not every forum, such as this one, is going to let people publish their tests endlessly, day after day, week after week, without saying "enough is enough". You had your published time - at our expense - now you are done.

If you think you have some great info to share with the masses, then get your own hosting contract and publish your "tests" at your own expense, but, don't link to them from here in order to give yourself a big click-thru boost at our expense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.