AV Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheIgster, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Kaspersky and avast have already been included in all till now, nothing wrong with that, i like both of them.

But be sure to test ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.2, it deserves a proper retest.
    I think it will also be cool to include VIPRE, PrevX and AVG Free.

2. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Thanks for the posts guys. Keep 'em coming.

As for
    well, not really sure I want to put out the bucks for a paid license... ;)

3. smage

smage Registered Member

No need to buy it, I was just informing you. Last time I checked, they did not offer a fully functional trial, don't know whether they have changed their policy.

So keep up the good work and try throwing some really new stuffs at them.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Comodo pls with defence plus and firewall disabled.

5. TheIgster

OK, so a few more small tests tonight. Ran out of time, so I thought I would post what I was able to get to tonight. Some of the products are more of a pain because a restart is required, so I have to reimage my system after the fact, so those installs will have to wait for another time.

Tonight's subjects: The new Clam AV/Immunet Protect combo, Spyware Doctor with Antivirus and ESET's latest Nod32. All software was installed and left to default settings, as well as updated. After each test, a quick scan using Malwarebytes was performed. I have attached the log file for each scan. Note that I did not note what was notified as being detected this time as in number of links missed. I simply browsed to each link and moved on to the next. Only a small sample this time around, 10 malware links posted as of March 12th.

Clam AV/Immunet Protect

Pop ups everywhere, all sorts of things running in the background and in the system tray and even a program trying to uninstall MBAM.

Spyware Doctor with Antivirus

Certainly better than Clam. I had to respond to several block requests, which I did, but there were still processes running in the background and the task manager was disabled. No pop ups or system tray issues though.

ESET Nod32

Nod32 did extremely well this time. Stopped everything in it's tracks. Nothing in sight and the machine running exactly the way it should.

So, that's it for tonight. There are a couple of others I would like to test, but I'm still thinking that a 50 link showdown between some of the top performers might be fun. Perhaps, Avast, Kaspersky and Nod32? I'll give it some thought.

Attached Files:

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I would like to say thank you for this retest of ESET 4.2, and leaving it on default settings, since turning of web protection actually means turning of all protection, ESET web protection is not the same as like a web-shield in Avast. Also ESET 4.2 improved over 4.0.

This just shows Kaspersky and ESET are still the kings of the anti-virus world, which they are for 5 years now. With Avast as the good free alternative.

About your idea to do a bigger test on ESET, Kaspersky and Avast 5 free. I think it is an great idea. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2010
  7. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

I would think Avira is popular enough and has enough market share to warrant a retest as well.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks for the retest of Eset with all default settings. Very impressive.:thumb: ;)

9. Hayki

Hayki Registered Member

Can you test McAfee ?

10. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Long days ago i have tested McAfee with "High" Artemis and to my surprise it blocked 20/20 Threats...I have tested with some TDSS and Zeus variants and it blocked all of them.

11. Hayki

Hayki Registered Member

Thanx :)

12. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

One thing i would like to clear that i have tested "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 2"...I haven't tested any consumer based product...like McAfee IS or McAfee Total Protection...:)

13. ESS474

ESS474 Registered Member

Regardless of any test I know well the real potential and this Android here is forever. :p

14. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Very interesting thread TheIgster and congratulations on some good work done. Have you tried Agnitum OSS yet? It uses a combination of HIPS, Virusbuster AV and Agnitum's own anti-spyware.

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I thought Agnitum used the F-Prot engine?

16. TheIgster

Did a quick search around and found Agnitum Antivirus that I could try in the tests, but didn't find a download for OSS. Is it a full security suite? Because if so, I don't include those in the tests, only AV's.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on Avira v10? Or is that only in limited user beta or something right now?

I grabbed downloads for two products that I don't know much about but it would be fun to include them in the tests here:

K7 Antivirus, Digital Defender.

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

If I remember correctly OSS is a full suite :)

18. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The statement that any particular AV is king of its world is as preposterous today as it would be yesterday or tomorrow. No particular AV ruled the roost but in terms of consistency, Avira comes mighty close and when version 10 will be released, you can bet that it would the top notch contender. As of this test, its Avast which has done superlatively and have come a long way, the av-comparatives will reveal even more.

19. TheIgster

Well, I hope Avira 10 performs better than 9 because in the original test I performed here, Avira scored 53%.

You're right though, any given test could provide differen results and no "King" can ever be crowned, but the tests are what they are and it has been interesting IMO.

20. icr

icr Registered Member

I hope it does coz the BETA build is really creating some problems for me:'(

Like I am facing the problem of malware removal:cautious: :thumbd:

21. linuxforall

Gotta be some issue, Avira has been the champion of consistency at a cost to FP, every tests thrown at it past and present, they have scored higher than rest but with few FPs, so either Avira now is concentrating on version 10 or there has to be a logical explanation to all this.

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I think this is the beauty of these tests being conducted by TheIgster. Alot of the previous perceptions are being stood on their ear, so to speak, and some people are left searching for issues and explanations, when in fact it always boils down to every AV is going to miss something sometime. That's about as logical as it gets. :)

24. linuxforall

The fact is that many different tests were thrown in the past, this kind of testing is nothing new and Avira always managed to come out on top and therefore the question arises. Various other sites apart from av-comparatives tested out Avira. If a AV can't be consistent, then thats its bane.

25. Technic

Technic Registered Member

They have closed beta going. My cousins uncle told me that they have more than few things to iron out. :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.