AV Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheIgster, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratwing

ratwing Guest

You seem to have arranged them flavor de jour.
    ( subject to change via boredom,caprice,or the foul-fickle-finger-of-fate.)

Policy seems to say A or A or A,=A-vs-b.

I say,none of the above,or what ever you feel safe with.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Norton is AV of the year according to AV-C, which is an impressive OVERALL result. Reading the tests, however, anybody can see that Norton has never been top in detections.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Not "A versus B" but "A versus etc".

'Ware the Mods -- beyond here thar be dragons! :argh: :blink: :gack: :doubt:

4. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Just look at the dynamic test results of Av-comparatives.

5. smage

smage Registered Member

Ok to avoid the flaming and that the thread be diverted, I retract my statements about Norton.

However the dynanic tests of AV-C and AV Test are there, so everyone can judge for themselves.

In the meantime, TheIgster thanks for doing these tests. KIS seems to be really doing well that's good.

Next time also add PC Tools Internet Security 2010 if you have time.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. smage

smage Registered Member

He was bashing a good product, I did not agree and thus I felt that I had to step in to show him the facts.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  7. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

The only test that matter is the Dynamic whole product test, which is a more realistic version of the proactive test, and Norton won that test ~ Removed Direct PDF Link as per AV-Comparatives Request - See Dynamic Test page for the actual PDF ~ with 99% detection

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
  8. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

TrendMicro Titanium is going to be the next best thing in anti-malware market. I have been following its development closely and it really outsmarts pretty much everything in the market. Funny thing though, about 2 years ago, it was the current CEO of Trend that first came up with the idea of cloud computing being the next big thing in anti-malware technologies. At that time most of the industry pundits considered it as 'Yet Another Cloud Computing Hocus-Pocus'.
    Trend sure took a long time implementing their idea, but better do it right than do it quick.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

They are being very careful with this one.

10. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

wasnt Prevx the first to introduce this?

they have had it for the last 4+ years i think.

all i see now, is alot of other companys copying such technology, but Prevx has a good 4+ years on everyone, so my trust in Prevx is evident!

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I don't class posting results as "bashing"
    The figures may or may not reflect on how well Norton protects as they don't take in to account other methods but they are bona fide figures

12. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi steve1955. you should read his post well to understand what he means!

Given that he understood that Norton was doing a bad job against new malware, I feared that he might switch to an inferior AV due to his misinterpretation of the results.

When a product scores a lower detection rate in AV-C on demand proactive test, it does not necessarily mean that it will not do well in real life tests.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  13. shadek

shadek Registered Member

NIS 2010 would score 100 out of 100 if Norton Insight technology was taken into account, the report states from AV-C. Hence, I think we have a winner of the 2010-products on the market. While NIS 2010 is very light and run smoothly, it's not the lightest on the market. I'd rather have an extremely light AV which detects 95+ out of 100 than a slow AV that detect 100. The point is; we all have different demands and needs. Therefore, discussing AV A vs AV B is pointless as we're wanting different things from the AVs.

14. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

what about users not using IE?:-some parts of NIS need it to work correctly,so if it was installed and IE not used then the protection is lower,all AV products need to be configured but if Norton is relying on web verification of files to give proper protection it can in certain cases give poor protection,I'm not trying to knock Norton but feel there are some glaring problems with some of the techniques employed

15. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

When will come the day when I don't have to make that kind of distinction. As long as I am in the PC world, i guess never. U wanna know why - its the diverse kind of systems, components and more importantly - drivers. For a company to build a product that performs well on every system config out there, is near impossible. Kudos to MS for achieving that goal with Windows 7 to a very great extent, and avast! & Avira with their latest offerings.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. Zombini

Amen!

I think we are going to see a lot of Norton Insight copy-cats in the coming year. Wait and watch.

17. Zombini

Without exception, all vendors's version of "Cloud Computing" is AV signatures in the cloud. However, None of them have Reputation in the cloud like Norton has... at least not yet.

18. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

well, now we see alot of cloud-technology being introduced, aint they just copying what Prevx have been doing for the past 4+ years? :rolleyes:

19. SAW

SAW Registered Member

Nortin Insight is a rep based function, similar to Mcafee safesite and WOT it is no cure all and on new files has a very high FP rate

20. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Right, just because other vendors don't provide raw files-reputation result to the end user doesn't mean the Cloud back-end infrastructure doesn't integrate age/population/reputation info of a file into the end results (Prevx as an example).

21. shadek

shadek Registered Member

NIS 2010 works very well with IE and Firefox, which is enough for the most of the people. But it's a good point. Nortons heuristics isn't good at all, which means users with other browsers than IE and Firefox aren't as protected as with other products.

Just my 2 cents.

22. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Guys, please, can we get back to talking about the tested products and just leave the Norton chatter for another thread? This is not a Norton thread.

23. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

So guys, anymore products for testing? Is there something that could make these tests more accepted for those that don't think they are a very good judge of AV products? More links maybe?

Anyone interested in seeing how products together with each other perform, such as what I'm currently using (Kaspersky and Malwarebytes Pro)? More of a layered approach?

I do have a couple of products, Nano Antivirus, Digital Defender Antivirus and the new Clamwin with Immunet Protect that I could test as well.

Maybe it's time to take the top three performers and put them up against each other with some 50 or even 100 links?

Ideas guys?

24. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

25. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

The Immunet/ClamAV is interesting. I wish you could test some suites but I can understand that could be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.