AV-Test Product Review and Certification Report - 2010/Q2

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by malexous, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Vipre may soon be added to the list but don't hold your breath :blink:

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Many companies are privately tested like Sunbelt was test according to that post.. It will be nice to see Sunbelt added.

3. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello everybody,

When it comes to anti-virus people tend to have a variety of opinions and loyalties.

I use ESET NOD32. I have seen some Youtube videos posted there by pseudo-experts bashing NOD32 because they picked up some bad URLs from the famous web-site that lists bad sites on daily basis which happen to be distributing malware.

Those guys claim that NOD32 apparently let some infections go through and then, at the end of the video they “clean up” the “infections” left behind by NOD32 with MBAM.

Well, I have been testing this claim to see if it holds true but, when NOD32 prompts me that it detected, let's say “Privacy Center” [Fake AV] it indeed detected it and crippled the download which means that if the malign file is 1275kb in size only 1270kb were downloaded. Then, when I try to execute this download [in a VM, of course] I get a message from Windows letting me know that the installer is NOT a valid Windows32 application and hence it cannot be executed.

After doing all of the above, then I put MBAM to test the files associated with the downloaded “application” [which is not the full installer, just part of it] that will not execute on the VM because it's an incomplete download. MBAM indeed finds some pieces of the installer that match its signatures and detects it as the Rogue “Privacy Center” but actually, the Rogue cannot execute on the PC even if it wanted to because the file is corrupt.

In the end, NOD32 did detect this Fake AV and corrupted the installer by stopping the full file from being downloaded allowing just 90% of the installer to reach the PC.

Regards,

Carlos

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Actually the last Youtube video I saw of ESS 4.2 it let absolutely nothing through. I was impressed enough I put it back on my machine. For now.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

IMO, Youtube tests of security software have much in common with Mickey Mouse cartoons -- entertaining to watch, but not much of a basis for learning about reality.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Actually the individual behind most of these is Wiley E. Coyote (Genius) on behalf of that famous testing organization ACME.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  7. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

I believe it's Super Genius. :)

8. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Ultimately, our choice all boils down to our own experience with the products we've tried or tested.

9. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

exactly
    just like eset still fastest acc to me though it may not reflect in various tests

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.