AV-Test Product Review and Certification Report - 2010/Q2

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by malexous, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progress

progress Guest

Elapsed rocks the boat :D

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well, i've complained about them once if i remember correctly :rolleyes:

Just a few days ago because of a bugged update that freezed W7 :D

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Disagree. There are fanboys and there are fanboys. The fanboys at the Online Armor forum, for example, love OA unashamedly, but they try & help even the snottiest visitors, rather than belittling them or flaming them. The same is true for the Prevx & Returnil forums here at Wilders. All the fanboys in those forums, including but NOT limited to the Mods of those forums, maintain calm and courtesy in their replies -- even with people who post unreasonable gripes & rants.

On the other hand certain forums, which I shall leave unnamed, are outrageously aloof, arrogant, and caustic toward those who seek help without having sufficiently groveled at the altar of the program they are fans of.

I won't deal with a software company that tolerates that kind of ap-cray on their support forum (or maybe even encourages it). Not ever. No way. If I am shooting myself in the foot, so be it. I shall just limp along without software that condones that sort of fanboyism.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  4. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Wow, it's like you were reading my thoughts on this subject. Thanks for expressing it so well.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hmm good points!

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I've never had a problem with Nod's resource use. Of course pretty much every av behaves a little differently depending on the computer. I've also not had any problems with Nod integrating with other programs.

The only false positive I recall was IIRC - one of those retaliatory false positives between Eset and PC Tools a few years back. I believe that was the company that Eset was having a fued with- I believe some component of Nod was flagged by PC Tools and then a few weeks later some component of PC Tools was flagged by Nod. I made a post about it. The fix took about a month or longer. Of course, the forum fanboys for Eset claimed the FP was cleared up immediately and was no way a retaliatory FP what so ever- right.

We could make a list of antivirus programs that did not run someone's CPU at 100% and did not flag a FP. The list would have zero entries on it though. Heck every av out there has bricked someone's computer at some time or another.

7. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

:thumb: Very Well Put My Man!! :thumb:

9. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

We are getting slightly off-topic but what about ESET fanboys (if any) or other fanboys (if any) here at Wilders - in your opinion ?

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

personally, I dont think Eset has any, at least not like Nortons.:cautious:

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

personally the whole concept of fanboys doesnt bother me a bit. I have all the respect for BG but in reality, he might even fit the criteria for one when it come to traditional HIPS.:)

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think though, that there are, like was said, two different types. The fanboys that praise their product, support the vendor, give feedback and help others learn about the product, those are fanboys we can get along just fine with. Then, there are fanboys who possess the following traits, and, yes, there are enough to go around right here at Wilders:

Trait 1. No move, no matter how stupid, by a vendor is criticized. The vendor knows best and is never, ever, wrong. You are a brainless simpleton if you believe otherwise.

Trait 2. There are no flaws in the product, you simply just don't know how to use it if you believe anything is wrong with it or it doesn't provide enough.

Depending upon the person, they will have a 3rd trait, but will approach it differently, only to achieve the same result, which is to say that their favorite product is better than the others:

Trait 3a. Product is light years ahead of everyone else. Nothing can approach it in effectiveness.

Trait 3b. So and so is pretty good, but favorite product does it this way, so it's a better approach.

And last, we come to

Trait 4. Will relentlessly call out and insult those who disagree, even if evidence is shown, and will provide their own "evidence" in the form of some simple test done by a magazine writer that consists of a 3 paragraph article tops. Or, will find some random chart through Google that agrees with them. Sometimes, they will even do their own small test and hold out the results for everyone to see as if it was a cradle containing baby Jesus, smug in the thought that they just "showed you".

These are the ones we can do without, and it feels often like they outnumber the previously mentioned, helpful "fanboys".

13. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Congratz to Panda, Kaspersky and Norton (not surprised about KIS and NIS though). I'd say that F-Secure also did quite well.

I don't really care about this fanboy subject. Referencing to the last post by dw426, I've seen both types of fanboys with pretty much all products.

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Sorry, I disagree. Everyone has them. You could find them pretty easily in the official ESET forums here if you go trolling for them, but I am not recommending anyone doing so. ;)

15. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I am an ESET fanboy! Hi!

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I would never let fans of a product sway my personal choices one way or another. I rate products solely on their merits, not their supporters.

17. xxJackxx

See, found one! All you have to do is ask. :D

Seriously though I did post an issue on the Norton forum one time asking how to stop the false positives from automatically deleting my files and received a condescending PM from another user, after he insulted me on the forum. I just ignored him, uninstalled, and started using another product. There are plenty of other options out there, and none of them get the job done 100% anyway. If the product was flawless I wouldn't have been on their forums.

18. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

I take this into consideration when choosing to purchase/use a particular software.

19. xandros

xandros Registered Member

see bitdefender more lighter than eset nod32
    bitdefender more lighter than avast
    bitdefender more lighter than kaspersky
    bitdefender more lighter than f-secure
    bitdefender more lighter than avira

20. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

So I guess I can call my self the Panda fan boy :D anyway I agree every AV has the fan's that will brag on every test they do well in and claim every time they do bad it was a foolish test.

21. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i will try norton 2011 when its ready not beta

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Yes, i'm very disappointed in Avira as well. In fact i was really shocked at the results on Avira. Avira 10 does not seem to perform like Avira 8, and 9. If it's not broken then don't fix it.

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Two doctors (a pair of docs) agree with those fans.

By the same token . . .

"The statement below is false."
    "The statement above is true."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, back at the topic...

Does this report really reflect Bit Defender as having by far the lowest the average slow-down of the computer (a mere 29 seconds)? Or have I misunderstood?

24. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

There is really nothing wrong with being fanboy. As long as you can stay objective (in contrary to some annoying Norton fanboys), which I can: I see ESET NOD32 is not THE topperformer anymore it was 3 years ago. But I just can't complain, in all those years I have used ESET NOD32 I never had a virus and also really important to me: it is probably the fricking most stable security program out there (at least on my pc), it has just never let me down. Also it feels really light and agile (especially under load), everything is smooth and automatic (set and forget).
    So although there might be some with better results in tests, but I just don't have any reason to move. And the paid-programs I would consider as replacements are very expensive here in The Netherlands (Norton). Also I bought it as a bundle on the Hitman Pro shop, really worth all penny's.

25. xxJackxx

Sorry, but fanboy and objective don't go together. Fanboys defend their product no matter what and will tell you that you suck and it's your fault if you have any complaints. You can like a product and have a preferred product but if you are objective you just don't have what it takes to be a fanboy. :D

I don't want to seem like I am picking on your or your post but I'm sure we have all been attacked by fanboys and I want to make sure we are in agreement on what one is. ;)
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.