AV-Test.org results: Sep-Oct 2014 / Windows 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FleischmannTV, Nov 25, 2014.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's a lot to pay for an antivirus which has been performing very poorly in the last few years up till this latest test. Maybe it's really good at detecting Korean malware?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Agree, but I don't really believe local malware is caught by local companies. I live in Seoul and I have never been hit by ' 'local' malware.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm not sure but you might be able to download the latest here, provided you give them some personal info:
    http://us.ahnlab.com/etc/request.do

4. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Vipre appears to be heading the wrong direction in all categories. What has happened?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  5. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Well,I still have questions on AV-Tests as well...I have pointed out earlier if someone ever read it.Don't go and assume.I must have forgetten to mention but still stuff seems to be a drop in the bucket and secondly no deeper explainations on the ratings? Because I was assuming if we were 4/5 rating then we must have got like 80% of detection but that wasn't the case we got 99% and 98% ratio so where is the catch?

stephentony,I dont know if the results ahead will be reflecting what we see but I am sure they improved in detection of malware that's not in their database.However,I dont know how dna-gen and additional stuff works and if it is fully working or not? I think avast staff should be explaining things further if or not the deepscreen improved greatly over the last version??

6. anon

anon Registered Member

o_O
    Stefan who?

7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

When you say "we", do you imply that you work for a vendor or sell/promote a specific product? (just asking for my better understanding)
    I think they explained in past their rating system somewhere, I just do not yet remember where.

8. roger_m

Thanks for the link. For the moment I'm going to stick with another Korean antivirus, Virus Chaser.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

10. roger_m

Thanks for that. I actually already found that page, but clicking on the download link does nothing even when viewed without Google Translate, or when I view the page in Internet Explorer.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

12. 142395

142395 Guest

I hope they also explain their methodology.
    I don't count this in methodology, it's just an overview.
    http://www.av-test.org/en/test-procedures/test-modules/

Also, can you give details about how you AV-Comp choose samples? I don't mean how you collect or gather samples (I know that), but mean how you classify malware and what sampling method do you use?

13. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Depends on the test. E.g. in the FDT it states that the test-set is build consulting telemetry data with the aim of including mainly prevalent samples from the last weeks/months which are/were endangering users in the field. We apply a clustering method to classify similar files. All samples included are analyzed with our own analysis system and partially another sandbox.

14. 142395

142395 Guest

15. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Ahnlab...:eek:

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

@yuki: what you wrote there explains it quite well in few sentences and better than I would have been able to tell.
    Regarding machine learning: no.
    Regarding dynamic test: here we take all exploits/urls we find in-the-field and which work on the system, we just remove the same cases, pua, etc.

17. 142395

142395 Guest

Then, you use any of common clustering method with pre-defined rules?
    I also want to know how many properties/characteristics are considered to classify malware.
    Sorry if it troubles you.

Well, my suggestion for future dynamic test report:
    Please consider to include info about what types of attack was used in dynamic test.
    E.g. proportion of each initial infection methods such as exploit (if possible, what types of exploit such as for browser, for Office docs, etc.), manual execution (with social engineering or not), and others maybe by pie chart.
    And general (I know exact classification is hard) proportion of finally installed malware such as ransomware, banking trojan, etc.
    MRG already gives the latter.
    I believe such proportion can largely affects result (if a product is weak in malware engine but strong in exploit prevention, then...).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.