AV-Test.org: October 2016 Test Results

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LagerX, Nov 30, 2016.

1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Can AVs catch Flame now?
    I bet AppGuard would have caught Flame if if there was AppGuard at the time, what about Sandboxie (tightly configured) VoodooShield (shield ON) and NVT Exe radar Pro?
    So what is your security setup on what exactly do yo rely on?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Remember this is a thread the av-test.org

3. fax

fax Registered Member

4. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

I am typing this from my phone so excuse my rustyness....

Best Security Setup is to pair a av program
    with other complimentary apps.Like Avira or Avast or KAS only the Antivirus not the IS with other apps like Comodo fw or maybe mbam pro and this list is long....Also we were talking about AV's catching APT not hips or other software.Of course,AV programs still serve a great purpose even today but more on how they are built with technologies.
    Thats the way I would set up a friend or client.

Personally I don't use any av now except win defender with all patches on and MBAM pro or free and ......CommonSense 2017 :)

Thanks,
    TI

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  5. anon

anon Registered Member

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

That's why the commonly held belief of "common sense" or "safe surfing" does not apply anymore. Although a person may trust the website they go to, there is no surety that the 3rd party Ad consolidators (whose stuff are all over webpages) can be trusted. Not that they are criminals- it's just that they seem to be too lazy to care to fully vet EVERY ad they distribute.

7. avman1995

Best solution use adblock and noscript type addons and keep java and flash up to date....Of course this applies for majority of the average Joe.

I never said i am against the idea of running a AV program.I did propose my idea of setting up a layered security.Yes I just run Win defender and all patches for win and softwares should be updated anyway.Hope my opinion was clear.

Thanks.

8. CoolWebSearch

KAS=Kaspersky antivirus?

9. CoolWebSearch

Actually it does apply, the only thing you need to do is to install is adblock and no-script and keep everything up to date, what true indian said, you don't need the entire internet security or combination of AV/AM, anti-exploit (well that depends if you are on Windows 10 the latest upgrade or not), firewall, HIPS and similar, sure you need some help but not so much that you computer becomes a victim of bloatware.

10. avman1995

Sorry but I think my post was completely ignored even running simple av program applying patches and keeping some browser addons,staying away from shady websites will keep you safe.

If you gonna be the risky guy who goes poking into every link he finds you are eventually going to get infected anyway.I think people are missing the fact that you can go uninfected for years these days when you are taught what is right to click and what is wrong or suspicious and when you are running a layered setup.These days windows 10 provides many lines of defenses combine that with proper habits and some addons like adblock noscript you are up and running.

I realise that even popular sites can be victims to malwaretising but again adblock must be installed anyway as most people at homes have chrome atleast all the average Joe have chrome.

This is not to suggest a AV Program is useless.Layered security with right habits and couple programs/addons save the day.Don't Forget the patches.

And oh please....there is no way to be ahead in the game unless you are running a user dependent module somewhere or maybe sanbox or some technology is needed or today's industry wouldn't exist.So Comodo is not alone definitely.Other AV's are stepping up every time.Examples:Avira APC,Bitdefender cloud and their AVC,Emsisoft Bb,etc etc

I think it would be a under-statement to say today's security is a complete bypass.Nope! There are advances being made every time but without proper habits and programs it is impossible.Adblock saves you a ton of hazard with malware.Just my opinion.

Long story short.Its called layered security.Dont be dependent on one program.Always run additional things and browser addons are a must with adblock being very necessary these days.

Thanks,
    TI

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.